PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cotton Wood Tree Sap! Agh!

ed325i
08-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Hello,

Yes, I have done a search.

There is sap from a large Cotton Wood tree all over our Forester. I have tried washing with Dawn, washing with Meguire's Crystal Wash, polishing with Meguire's Cleaner Wax, and applying Turtle Wax's Tar & Bug Remover. The Tar & Bug Remover seems to be able to remove the sap, bit by bit. However, it is torturous and slow work. Is there a better product that someone can recommend? Unfortunately, I don't have a PC, so machine polishing will not be possible. Thanks!

Ed

CaliJeff
08-04-2004, 03:24 AM
Hello,

Yes, I have done a search.

There is sap from a large Cotton Wood tree all over our Forester. I have tried washing with Dawn, washing with Meguire's Crystal Wash, polishing with Meguire's Cleaner Wax, and applying Turtle Wax's Tar & Bug Remover. The Tar & Bug Remover seems to be able to remove the sap, bit by bit. However, it is torturous and slow work. Is there a better product that someone can recommend? Unfortunately, I don't have a PC, so machine polishing will not be possible. Thanks!

Ed

Have you tried HOT water yet? not boiling or steam just use the hot tap from the washing machine or faucet, last resort would be the drain from the ole water heater. It worked for me. YMMV You might even try leaving a wet towel on the sap for a bit (great time for a beer or something cool to drink) to soften it.

TOGWT
08-04-2004, 11:02 AM
~ One manís opinion / observations ~

Tree Sap:

Some of the most common tree sap types are: White Pine, Maple, Oak, Popular, and Blue Spruce, the acidic content of the sap will etch the paint surface. Factors as to the amount of time it takes to remove sap and what damage it has caused are dependent on temperature and time the sap has been on the paint surface.

Be careful and take your time removing it, remember always let the products do the work for you. Tree sap that is still soft can be removed by soaking with Isopropyl Alcohol, wet the area with the product and allow it to remain on the surface for 3-5 minutes, then wipe with soft dry towel.

For tree sap that has hardened, carefully scrape the top of the spot off with a plastic spatula to expose the softer sap inside.

Soak a towel with the solvent placing it over the sap and let soak for 10-minutes, repeat in order for the solvents to break down the sap, once its removed re-apply sealant / wax protection of your choice Some saps will lift and crack the paint, this damage will require refinishing,

~ Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

ed325i
08-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Thanks guys. I will give your suggestions a try this weekend.

Ed

mwette
08-05-2004, 07:44 AM
3M makes a product for removing tar, sap, etc from car paint.
Check at your nearest automotive store. It comes in a small
(about 8oz) metal container.