PDA

View Full Version : Re-painting a BMW with a color different than car's original color

uzun
08-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone,
Has anyone ever re-painted their BMW using a color that is different than the car's original color (for example, re-painting a black metallic BMW with silver metallic paint)?
I suppose the plastic components such as front and rear bumper will have to be replaced as well to match the new color. If anyone has done such a re-painting job, how much did you spend for the painting and the new plastic components that needed to be replaced?

Clarke
08-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Unless you have large amounts of money to burn for the paint job and the hit on resale value I would avoid this.An even semi proper job would entail trim,window,door removal etc.The bumpers etc. can be repainted not replaced. The most cursory inspection will spot a color change Unless this is an old car that you are doing a ground up resto on you would be better off trading it for the color you want,even that financial bath would be less than changing color.

uzun
08-04-2004, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the response. My car is a black metallic 325I Sedan and I was just wondering about the feasibility of going to silver metallic paint. (The reason I got this black metallic car was because I had gotten a great deal on it and had not wanted to miss the opportunity.) I have come to realize recently that I like the silver metallic paint on BMWs best. But the color change sounds like it's not a good idea after all.

KP
08-04-2004, 07:56 AM
If you're really adamant on going from black to silver, just sell/trade in your car and get the silver. A meticulous new paint job (taking everything to bare bones, stripping, repainting), will likely cost you anywhere from $7k-$9k.

uzun
08-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the input. I had not realized a color change job would be that costly. I guess I will have to wait until next time I get a new BMW for the silver metallic paint!

Spectre
08-04-2004, 01:49 PM
A good paint job is expensive. Perhaps you were tricked by the low Maaco prices, but you would be well advised to avoid their services if you want a paint job equal in calibre to your car.