PDA

View Full Version : coin-op car wash is GREAT for cleaning wheels!

jeff330i
08-04-2004, 04:02 PM
In need of quarters to do my laundry, I spoted a quarter machine in a coin-op car wash facility. I figured my wheels were really dirty (hadn't been cleaned in a few weeks) and that big broom might clean them quickly.

Well, I'm sold. That huge brush got into all the crevices of the 72M wheels, leaving them completely free of brake dust. It takes me about 30 minutes to wash by hand, and only about 5 minutes with this huge brush. Definately worth the $2. Plus at the end you get a spot free rinse which really does dry spot free in the sun :thumbup: .

///MDex
08-05-2004, 07:48 AM
...and that big broom might clean them quickly.

Think twice about ising that broom next time. I've see all kinds of massively dirty trucks, motorcycles, and ATVs using said brush to remove pounds of dirt from their vehicles and whatnot. I don't ever see them rinishing out the brush afterwards though.....

Instead of taking 30 mintures to clean them every 'few weeks', try taking 10 minutes to clean them every week; it'll be much easier, and your wheels aren't as likely to be damaged by the brake residue baking into the finish everyday.

rwg
08-05-2004, 11:41 AM
buy a pressure washer.

sun3301
08-05-2004, 09:14 PM
I'd recommend buying a wheel cleaning brush from Griot's. I have the short handle version seen here. (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SKUupsell=92546)

I use this on my 330ci wheels once a week, takes about 30 seconds a wheel. I used to use the cleaning solution from them too. But now I use Simple Green. The brush works excellently.

jeff330i
08-07-2004, 11:48 PM
I'd recommend buying a wheel cleaning brush from Griot's. I have the short handle version seen here. (http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SKUupsell=92546)

I use this on my 330ci wheels once a week, takes about 30 seconds a wheel. I used to use the cleaning solution from them too. But now I use Simple Green. The brush works excellently.

great! thanks for the recommendation. I just purchased the short handle brush too. can't wait for it now.

Patrick330i
08-07-2004, 11:51 PM
buy a pressure washer.

I use my pressure washer on my rims, but with great care. I finally waxed my rims today and I am hoping that helps make the cleaning quicker and easier. I'd like to be able to pull up in the driveway and hose that crap off quickly before parking in the garage for the night. We'll see, but I got the suggestion here so I am confident. :thumbup:

jetstream23
08-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Here's the question.....If you bought a brand new BMW with 0.00% dirt/brake dust on the wheels, what product or treatment would you give those wheels (maybe even at the dealership before you drove off the lot) to protect the wheels and make it easier to clean them the next time?

Please provide one product and the method of application....

Much thanks.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

BloodRedHog
08-08-2004, 10:08 AM

Anyone with the ZHP M135 wheels use a brush? What is the best brush for getting in those spokes? I am using a cheapo nylon brush from Wally World but it is too big to fit in the spokes very well.

BloodRedHog
08-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Here's the question.....If you bought a brand new BMW with 0.00% dirt/brake dust on the wheels, what product or treatment would you give those wheels (maybe even at the dealership before you drove off the lot) to protect the wheels and make it easier to clean them the next time?

Please provide one product and the method of application....

Much thanks.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Jet, from what I've read, wax those with a synthetic wax (Klasse AIO or Zaino) to help brake dust clean-up.

///MDex
08-08-2004, 10:14 AM
I use my pressure washer on my rims, but with great care. I finally waxed my rims today and I am hoping that helps make the cleaning quicker and easier. It will. I can QD my wheels just like any other painted surface.

Here's the question.....If you bought a brand new BMW with 0.00% dirt/brake dust on the wheels, what product or treatment would you give those wheels.. Klasse AIO (x1) + Klasse SG (x5)

Anyone with the ZHP M135 wheels use a brush? What is the best brush for getting in those spokes? I am using a cheapo nylon brush from Wally World but it is too big to fit in the spokes very well. I always use a sponge for washing the wheels. Its soft, and it conforms for the surface well, ensuring I get come good contact.

HTH

sun3301
08-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Jeff330i- Your welcome! Good luck with it, I think you'll be pleased with it.

BloodRedHog-I don't have those wheels, and I am considering an upgrade to them soon. As for a brush, I know from my experience with the Griot's brush is that the natural hairs on it are both stiff enough and soft enough to conform with the nooks and crannies of my stock 330ci wheels. The beauty of this brush it that with minimal effort, the hairs bend and get into the lug nut wells, and around each spoke. My car still has the original set up of weights on the wheels and the brush get's around these pretty well too. The brush also doesn't scratch. I sometimes use it on the underside of the lower rocker panels.

Fast Bob
08-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Anyone with the ZHP M135 wheels use a brush? What is the best brush for getting in those spokes? I am using a cheapo nylon brush from Wally World but it is too big to fit in the spokes very well.

Go to the hardware store and buy a few of those disposeable polyurethane foam paint "brushes"....I have some that are 1" wide x 1/2" thick, and are perfect for getting between the (PITA) spokes on the 135s...When I take my wheels off for seasonal changes, the insides are usually pretty grungy, especially after the winter....I use Castrol Super Clean cleaner/degreaser on the inside surfaces....it cuts right through the crud. Just don`t leave it on more than a couple of minutes....it`s strong stuff.

Regards,
Bob

KP
08-15-2004, 09:00 PM
I just wet a small terry cloth (size of a wash cloth). Works wonders for me, better than a brush.

Ben Carufel
08-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Go to the hardware store and buy a few of those disposeable polyurethane foam paint "brushes"....I have some that are 1" wide x 1/2" thick, and are perfect for getting between the (PITA) spokes on the 135s...When I take my wheels off for seasonal changes, the insides are usually pretty grungy, especially after the winter....I use Castrol Super Clean cleaner/degreaser on the inside surfaces....it cuts right through the crud. Just don`t leave it on more than a couple of minutes....it`s strong stuff.

Regards,
Bob

I would NOT touch any set of wheels whatsoever with SIMPLE GREEN or CASTROL SUPER CLEAN.

Simple Green is much too harsh for wheels, especially if you are putting wax or synthetic on them. The Simple Green will take any of that stuff right off.

As car as Castrol, I used it on my 325e's bottlecaps ONCE and removed 95% of the paint from 3 of the wheels. I would NOT use it again. For engine bay detailing, it worked fine, but for wheels STAY AWAY. I didn't think it would be THAT strong, but it is.

On the M Coupe's wheels, I did a thorough cleaning days after I bought the car -- removed each wheel, claybarred, buffed out any scratches in the clearcoat, and applied 7 coats of Klasse SG.

Now when I wash the car, I just use an old washmitt (I use it only for wheels now) and a spray bottle filled with car soap to wash them. The car soap doesn't hurt the Klasse (although it's good to re-clay and re-apply every year) and the brake dust doesn't contact the regular wash water.

///MDex
08-16-2004, 06:48 AM
I would NOT touch any set of wheels whatsoever with SIMPLE GREEN or CASTROL SUPER CLEAN.

Simple Green is much too harsh for wheels, especially if you are putting wax or synthetic on them. The Simple Green will take any of that stuff right off.

As car as Castrol, I used it on my 325e's bottlecaps ONCE and removed 95% of the paint from 3 of the wheels. I would NOT use it again. For engine bay detailing, it worked fine, but for wheels STAY AWAY. I didn't think it would be THAT strong, but it is.

On the M Coupe's wheels, I did a thorough cleaning days after I bought the car -- removed each wheel, claybarred, buffed out any scratches in the clearcoat, and applied 7 coats of Klasse SG.

Now when I wash the car, I just use an old washmitt (I use it only for wheels now) and a spray bottle filled with car soap to wash them. The car soap doesn't hurt the Klasse (although it's good to re-clay and re-apply every year) and the brake dust doesn't contact the regular wash water.
^^^ What he said.

Klasse AIO is also very helpful with removing blemishes/stains on wheels, and is still safe for finishes. Follow up with Klasse SG

gordo325xiwagon
08-26-2004, 06:22 PM
I have started wearing g a pair of fleece winter gloves when washing wheels.

I still use a wheel cleaner and a couple of brushes that fit cleanly nto the spokes. But the gloves allow me to reach behind the spokes and clean the inside wheel rim much quicker than using a brush alone.

PS. I pull the wheels every once and a while and clean the inside rim and behind the spokes.

Lansing
09-01-2004, 10:26 PM
That's an awesome combo of rides, my friend. I had a 92 300ZXTT before my new BMW. It only had 50K on it and had the chip and intake. Great cars. I am envious!