PDA

View Full Version : Have a free trip to Vienna, need to add a few days

wdlfbio
03-13-2013, 10:44 PM
We've done two EDs to Italy, hit Berlin, Prague (loved it), Provence (loved it), Paris, and Budapest. We are getting a free trip to Vienna 8-13 May and figure we might as well add a couple days of our own on the front end. Depart Seattle on 4 May (Saturday) and need to be in Vienna by 8 May (Wed).

We are thinking Switzerland (Lake Geneva or Lucerne), and then take a scenic train (first class) to get to Vienna. We are church and castled out. Scenery and great food are focal points, and the wife has a strong interest in art. I'd be fine and dandy relaxing at a hotel balcony overlooking a lake while drinking a cocktail and eating some local flavor. I planned our ED trips around the drive as much as I could, but this one has me lost.

Any ideas? And, are we crazy for thinking we can sit on a train for 10-11 hours with one change in Zurich?

NateXTR
03-14-2013, 07:38 AM
We went to Lucerne during our first ED and it was magical. We were much younger then and had just really started to become successful professionally so we splurged on staying at the Grand Hotel National directly on the shore of Lake Lucerne. It was well worth it. We didn't even upgrade to the "lake view" room and we could still see the lake from our balcony. I personally cannot wait to go back to Lucerne in the future...

skywalkerbeth
03-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Why not something a lot closer to Vienna? Do a Danube cruise, for instance. Or go back to Prague. Or visit Budapest...

René-Pierre
04-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Hi
If you don't mind a three hour drive I would head over to Hallstatt Austria. Beautiful lake, scenic drive. Nice inns to stay and it should still be fairly quiet in May.

X3 Skier
04-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Last time I was in Vienna, I took an overnight trip to Budapest via train. Well worth it.

A Danube Cruise as suggested by Beth is also an excellent idea.

Cheers