PDA

View Full Version : Who would have guessed I'd make this recommendation...

SARAFIL
08-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Ok, so now that I got your attention:

A friend/co-worker bought a new Jet Black 330Ci ZHP a few weeks ago, and since then has been very nervous about maintaining the finish without getting swirls. So, based on a recommendation from someone else, he bought the Mr. Clean Auto Dry system and gave it a try.

When I saw his car the other day, before I realized what he had used, I initially thought he had just had the car detailed. It was clean, shiny and had no swirls. I commented that I was glad that he had found a good detailer that didn't put swirls all over the car, and it was at that point that he told me what he had really done. I was shocked! Not having to use a chamois or water blade to dry the car had helped to eliminate fine scratches and swirls.

Not wanting to be left out, I went out today and bought the kit myself ($20 at Walmart) and gave it a try. I'll admit I was really skeptical at the beginning. So, to see how good their claim was, I washed the car and then left it to dry (to make things a bit more difficult, I left it in the sun). Twenty minutes later, the car looks great (no water marks anywhere, glass is streak/spot free as well).

Anyone else try it out? I think it's worth it not having to dry the car, as that's the part of the process that I hate the most. I'm interested to know how much this kit costs to keep using (it came with special cleaning soap that you have to use, plus a water filter to filter the final rinse water). I'm also interested in finding out how good the soap is, and seeing if it wears away the wax on the car.

More to come as I try it out a bit more!

jw
08-06-2004, 12:48 PM
I tried it and found it very useful. When the product was first announced I received a $5 off coupon so I figured, "What the heck?" The starter soap lasted for 3-4 washes.

Even if you don't use the soap, I think the water filter cartridge still helps. It doesn't dry as fast but it didn't leave water spots either. I've been thinking about picking up a refill over the next few days.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-06-2004, 12:58 PM
I've noticed that it works very poorly if your car is well waxed.

TD
08-06-2004, 12:59 PM
I've noticed that it works very poorly if your car is well waxed.
Then it should work great on mine.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Bren says it's awesome on his Jeep.

bren
08-06-2004, 02:47 PM

:rofl:

I have found that in order to get it to work on a car with a well waxed finish requires shade and A LOT of rinsing....oh, and replace the filter after every 4-5 washes.

I noticed it always left a bit of a residue on the black car. Lately I've found that it causes rainwater on the windshield to kinda smear around.

SARAFIL
08-06-2004, 03:09 PM
:rofl:

I have found that in order to get it to work on a car with a well waxed finish requires shade and A LOT of rinsing....oh, and replace the filter after every 4-5 washes.

My car hasn't been waxed in a while. I didn't notice any problems.

I washed my dad's X3 a little while ago, also (which has a pretty recent wax job). It came out pretty good, although it did take much longer to dry and the water didn't go away as quickly. That being said, I did walk away from it, and when I finally returned, it too was dry with no spots. For me, it's worth it. It's also a bitch to keep the lower black plastic trim on that car clean (normally it stains from the water running down the side of the car, and takes extra effort to clean up), and it only required minimal touch-ups this time around.

For $20, it it keeps me from having to dry the car, I'm happy. I used up all the soap that came in the little bottle between the two cars, so I'll have to get some more. I wonder how the system will work if I use regular soap and just use it for the filtered water rinse?

teknic330
08-10-2004, 02:05 AM
Has anyone tried just using it to filter the water and wash the car as you normally would?

I don't really want to use the soap because I've heard that it messes up the windows somehow and makes everything hard to see when it rains :dunno:

bren
08-10-2004, 06:18 AM
Has anyone tried just using it to filter the water and wash the car as you normally would?

I don't really want to use the soap because I've heard that it messes up the windows somehow and makes everything hard to see when it rains :dunno:
You have to use the soap to get it to work right. Lately I have been washing the car regularly, then rinsing with the "special" soap, then do a final rinse with the filtered water....this works well enough on Alpine white.

The window thing is what I was talking about in my post above. Just use some windex when you're done.

ljh824
08-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I bought it to use on my silver gray 325i and it works pretty good. During a normal wash though, I do have to fill the soap resevoir about three times to wash the entire car. The instructions say to only use the special Mr. Clean soap, but i'm sure that's just to keep thier sales going. Next time I wash, I'll try my BMW soap with it. I still keep a bucket of clean water handy to rinse out my wash mitt between sections.

KevinM
08-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Consumer Reports, of all magazines, actually has a good review of this product in the latest issue. They actually said it works well, which is HIGH praise from CR.

I'm picking up the kit this weekend.

Kevin