BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2014 7 series vs 2014 S class

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  dbs600 
#1 ·
A lot of new pictures and information on the new 2014 S class.

Any thoughts on how this might affect sales of 7ers.

#2 ·
The luxury sedan market is a small one to begin with and the new S-Class will be the new toy of choice, especially if the platform scales to the Maybach replacing Pullmann. This should give the smaller engined-models a bit of a Halo effect.

Price-wise I expect the S-Class to average at least $20k above 7 series pricing and their lease deals have never been close to BMW, so I guess the 7 series to loose sales only on the high-end.

#4 · (Edited)
price-wise I expect the S-Class to average at least $20k above 7 series pricing...
I've seen someone state this before, but don't understand where it's coming from. Maybach replacement or not (for which there will likely be a special wheelbase and special body panels), the S and 7 are and will remain direct competitors, where an average difference of at least $20k for comparably equipped models would place them in different segments (S, 7, A8, XJ, LS vs. Panamara (when comparably equipped), Quattroporte, Continental, Rapide); the interior pictures we've seen thus far are likely of a loaded Designo model.

For a long time now, there's been an average spread of roughly $4-5k between comparably equipped Mercedes and BMW models, but with all of the forthcoming tech, I can see the 2014 S pushing a $7.5k spread, but not much more, which the 2016 7 will probably reduce, as it will likely be more expensive than the current 7. But anything greater than a $100k base MSRP would be difficult to comprehend (and I doubt they're planning all-inclusive pricing on the base models, as on the G550 and GL550).

Otherwise, I don't expect the Maybach replacement to compete with the likes of the Phantom ($500k), but more with the Ghost ($280k) and Mulsanne ($290k), with the range-topping S600 (with all-inclusive pricing) still competing with the Continental ($180k).

That said, I don't see many 7's on the road in relation to S' to begin with and expect the ratio to remain the same / be no different than prior years in which new generation S' or 7's were introduced (1992, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2007, 2009)...

#3 ·
Serious tech in the new 2014 S-class. See below an article that just came out. BMW has a lot of work to do for 2016.

The Mercedes S-Class release date is set for 15 May, but what can we expect to see?

Update: The new Mercedes S-Class will be revealed at special event in 15 May. Auto Express will review the 2013 S-Class in July, with the car expected to get its motor show debut at the Frankfurt show in September. The S-Class release date for UK customers is thought to be around October 213.

The new Mercedes S-Class has been spied completely undisguised, months ahead of its official debut in a promotional video shoot.

The S-Class won't be revealed until May but these pictures show us what we can expect from the all-new BMW 7 Series rival.

Initially previewed by the Mercedes Aesthetics S sculpture at the Paris Motor Show last September, the new S-Class uses a familiar set of proportions, but with more elegant bodywork than its predecessor and some stunning attention to detail.

At the front, a larger grille is flanked by full LED headlights, along with blade-like LED running lights below, while the profile features two smooth creases and neater rear wheel arches. The rear is reminiscent of the new CLA, with a curved boot lid, LED lights and a strip of chrome to finish the exhausts.

Mercedes- S-Class interior

The new Mercedes S-Class will be a technological and luxury tour de force when it goes on sale at the end of this year, featuring advanced infotainment systems, a top end hi-fi and five-star luxury.

Most systems are controlled through twin ultra wide (8:3 ratio) 12.3-inch TFT screens on the dash that appear to float within and oversized, leather clad binnacle. Background lighting around the twin displays and throughout the car can be tailored using different colours and intensities, while traditional circular vents and an analogue clock feature lower down the dash. There are also beautifully-crafted Bentley style stoppers that control the airflow through the vents.

To complete the luxury feel, only wood, aluminium and leather (which includes Mercedes Artico-imitation hide) is used inside, there are no plastic bits.

Plenty of attention has been paid to reduce noise, vibration and harshness throughout the new S-Class. The white noise created as a car cruises on the motorway is at a lower frequency, making conversation easier. But Mercedes has eschewed clever noise cancelling technology, preferring to engineer sound-deadening solutions into the car.

The climate control system can be specified with Air Balance, a system that ionizes and filters the air, and comes with an active perfume system that cleverly spreads one of four scents throughout the cabin – all for €350 (£300). The perfume capsules should last about a year, when they cost €59 (£50) to replace.

New seats also feature with fast-acting heating and cooling functions plus massaging seats that mimic a hot stone massage. Luxury seating in the back will recline by 45 per cent with a foot and calf rest, while the passenger seat will fold forward for maximum legroom.

Mercedes has ditched Bang and Olufsen for German top end hi-fi maker Burmester, which is offering a 3D sound system in the car. A couple of speakers in the roof heighten the sound stage and give a boost to vocals, while there’s 1500 watts of power and 24 single channel speakers. It sounds really powerful with strong bass and fast reactions, but in our brief tests it lacked a little fine detail that the very best in-car systems have.

Models with rear screens allow four different entertainment zones, with separate audio and video inputs for each. Of course, there’s Bluetooth audio streaming (and telephone connection), but the latest wireless Kleer technology is used for headphone connections.

The S-Class will also let you tag a track you hear on the radio, which will then be transferred to your iPhone to be downloaded next time it’s connected to iTunes. Full iPhone Siri integration is also included, but Android users will be frustrated that full connectivity for them is a little way away yet. The app that can control the infotainment system will be available on Android and Apple devices, though.

Google plays a role with full internet access (on three screens – one in the front and two in the back), while Google street view is available on the navigation system. There’s also three years’ worth of TomTom Live traffic information as standard.

The screen that displays speed and revs is slightly less customizable, but will show some new features. They include the fully autonomous parking system that will not only fully control parking, but will help you out of the space, too. Attention assist will now rate your attention level, while the Eco Score will similarly rank how efficient you are behind the wheel.

That won’t be all, of course (did we mention the heated armrests?). Before we drive the car in the summer, we’ll get more details of the safety systems and engines that will include hybrids and plug-in hybrids. But rest assured, it’s set to be the most advanced car in the world.

Mercedes S-Class safety

The new Mercedes S-Class will be one of the most advanced passenger cars ever built. Key to the new car's high-tech success is an interconnected set of 26 sensors spread around the car, which feed information about the car’s surroundings to three separate ECUs. We explain how it works.

Mercedes S-Class Distronic Plus with Steering Assist
The Distronic Plus adaptive cruise control now includes Steering Assist. As long as the car senses that you have a hand on the steering wheel, the S-Class will automatically steer to keep you in your lane, as well as accelerating and braking automatically at speeds between 19mph and 124mph.

Crossing traffic braking assistance
The S-Class already features automatic emergency braking and in the new car, it works at speeds of up to 45mph. But the clever part is that the system can recognise traffic crossing in front of you, which is said to be a world first

Upgraded traffic sign recognition
The S-Class has an impressive traffic sign recognition facility. Not only does the system recognise speed limit signs, it can also show upcoming lane closures, no entry signs and temporary speed limit signs.

No excuse for falling asleep at the wheel
An improved version of the Attention Assist system can now monitor the driver’s drowsiness at speeds between 37mph and 124mph. You can tell the car if you feel tired when you start driving, too, so it knows to flash and beep a warning at you sooner.

Mercedes S-Class can park itself
A series of ultrasound sensors allow the S-Class to park itself autonomously. The car operates the steering and brakes, and drives at up to 6mph to reverse park into a bay. And not only can the car parallel park in spaces a metre longer than the car, it can drive itself back out again, too.

Avoiding rear impacts
A new multi-mode rear sensor detects if a vehicle is about to crash into the back of your S-Class. When stationary, if a vehicle is closing too fast on your car, first the S-Class flashes its indicators as a warning. If an impact is sensed, the S-Class holds on the brakes, so that you avoid a secondary collision.

Flashing at hidden pedestrians
The headlights are connected to upgraded infrared sensors which can pick out pedestrians standing in the dark, which are then spotlighted by one of two LEDs in the right headlamp with a flashing beam so that the driver notices them.

Night vision improvements
Thanks to improvements in the S-Class’s sensors, the night vision can now detect animals up to 100 metres away, as well as pedestrians up to 160 metres away in the dark. If something is sensed, a sharp, infrared image appears on the TFT dials, highlighting the obstacle in red.

More S-Class models

When the all-new Mercedes S-Class arrives later this year it will be the first of six new models to wear the S-Class badge. The revelation came from none other than Dr Dieter Zetsche, CEO of Mercedes, at the world premier of the new CLA-Class on the eve of the Detroit Motor Show.

"2013 is the year of the all-new S-Class. Our ambition to lead is embodied by this new car," Zetsche told us. "We will grow the S-Class family to include six models - and the debut is just a few months away."

The first of the six will be the standard S-Class, which Mercedes claims will set new standards in comfort and safety, as well as sporting a dynamic new design previewed by the Aesthetics S sculpture at the Paris Motor Show last September.

Following that will be am S-Class Coupe (formerly known as the CL-Class), plus a three-door S-Class Cabriolet. The remaining three are expected to be an S-Class Estate, a hot AMG version and a stretched wheelbase, ultra-luxurious Pullman to replace the now-defunct Maybach.

#6 ·
Not much. I don't think the average Chinese buyer honestly cares much about the model cycle. Or tech for that matter. It's more about status of the vehicle. That's why China is the leader for 760 sales.

#9 · (Edited)
I understand paying double for the top model ***8211; in 1999 the S320 was $65k, while the S600 was $133k ***8211; but I feel a base of anything north of $100k for the mainstream model ***8211; the S550 ***8211; would be somehow excessive; but that's just my two cents; not that it matters when they're selling north of $100k anyway... Sorry to go off-topic, LovinM6.

#13 ·
I understand paying double for the top model - in 1999 the S320 was $65k, while the S600 was $133k - but I feel a base of anything north of $100k for the mainstream model - the S550 - would be somehow excessive.
Unless they started selling a S400 for around $85K? Fitted out with the 3.0 TT V6?

#10 ·
I would not go with a MERCEDES. EVER!!!! NEVER EVER again?

Everything is nice until you have a major problem with a dealer that brakes something in your car or they try to pull a stunt. You can complaint to anybody you want and NOBODY will listen or help you anywhere at MBUSA. YOu can go as far as President of MBUSA and they WILL NOT help you with your problem. DRop a $100,000 for a new Sclass and you will be treated like you just bought a bike at toys r us. Nobody will care what car you got and nobody will help you out there.
Everybody washes their hands.

That is besides the fact that within 3 years of owning an Sclass, car broke down at least more than 20 times at the dealer over some stupid fixes. Very unreliable brand that doesnt care about repeat clientele.

DONT buy the mercedes !!!!!!!!!!

#12 · (Edited)
I would not go with a MERCEDES.

Everything is nice until you have a major problem with a dealer that brakes something in your car or they try to pull a stunt. You can complaint to anybody you want and NOBODY will listen or help you anywhere at MBUSA. YOu can go as far as President of MBUSA and they WILL NOT help you with your problem. DRop a $100,000 for a new Sclass and you will be treated like you just bought a bike at toys r us. Nobody will care what car you got and nobody will help you out there.
Everybody washes their hands.

That is besides the fact that within 3 years of owning an Sclass, car broke down at least more than 20 times at the dealer over some stupid fixes. Very unreliable brand that doesnt care about repeat clientele.
This is how I now feel about BMW.

Look at the CLS and 6 series Gran Coupe. About a 20k price difference there too and they are direct competitors.
Good point! Direct competitors, yes, but the 6GC is more 7 Series and the CLS is more E-Class. I believe the 6GC is larger than the CLS too, especially in the rear. Haven't optioned comparable builds, but interesting enough, this seems to shoot the other way, where the BMW is more expensive than the Mercedes by about $15k; it's usually the other way around by about $4-5k. In all, the 6GC/CLS/A7 segment is a niche, not as traditional as 3/C/A4, 5/E/A6, 7/S/A8, X3/GLK/Q5, X5/ML, GL/Q7, Z4/SLK/Boxster...

#15 ·
The prices on these top-end cars have been going up so quickly lately. When I was at the Benz dealership with a lady friend of mine who was looking at SLK's, one of the salesmen told me the new S would start around 110. Outgoing CL is already 115k so I'm sure when it gets replaced by the S Class Coupe it's going to be in the 120's. I've always liked that massive coupe but I can't justify 115k for it in its current state. Would end up getting a 650 instead if I end up going to the 2-door route once this lease is up. All of the owners on the 6 series forum seem to be really happy about their cars.

#18 · (Edited)
Not sure with where you live, but I'm pretty sure many of the E350 4Matic Sport Packs I see weight in at around $65-75k, as do the 535i xDrive M Sports. I think the CLS exists to fill the $75-85k range, but BMW does fill the gap better with both its 6GC and 740, which are rare sights in and of themselves. Otherwise, I doubt the material quality will be different; after the obscene W220, they know they got it 'just right' on the W221. Nevertheless, an entry S at $85k to go head-to-head with the 740 makes sense, I just don't see it happening...

Wonder if they're going to bring short and long wheelbases back to the US market!? It was very strange, but they did with the W220, but only in its final year with the S350.

#20 ·
Wonder if they're going to bring short and long wheelbases back to the US market!? It was very strange, but on the W220 they did so, but only in its final year with the S350.
The US market is obviously unique for luxury cars. It's a large market at low prices and German automakers sell select models at significant discounts for reasons of competitiveness.

Other markets offer much larger engine/option ranges. The current S-Class is a good example. You can buy a 4 cylinder S-Class in Germany with a lowly 250 CD engine!

Unimaginable in the US even if the car delivers a whopping 931 mile range (1500km) per tank fill.

I expect a similar configuration of the current engine line up in the US for the 14 model and my assumption is that the price will start at $105k for the 550. We should know more in mid-May...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.