PDA

View Full Version : Help with scuff marks

SAZMan
08-15-2004, 01:21 PM
I had a child's scooter hit my car and create a nice set of scuff marks (see atached pics). I've read a number of threads on repairing these types of marks (including the one sticky'd to this forum). I'm looking for very specific advice. I plan to use Langka and OEM touch-up paint for my repair. As the pictures show, the largest scuff mark is rather uneven and irregular. Any advice on how to attack this? Should I sand some of the area first? Just slap on the paint and use the Langka? Any help is appreciated.

Alex Baumann
08-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Hello,

firstly do NOT sand anything unless you have to. Secondly, be very very patient, no hurry. You have plenty of time ;)

Clean the scratches with alcohol and tar/wax remover. Then, apply the touch-up paint with a needle, just let the paint flow into the scratch and fill it by itself. Don't forget to leave some place to use the clearcoat. It's the clearcoat which will give its gloss. If you end up with an ugly blob (i.e. excess paint or clearcoat), then cut a small sand paper and stick it at the end of a pencil and sand it to level the area. Sand only in one direction (not back and forth). After each move, inspect the paint.

SAZMan
08-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the response, Alex. I'm very willing to be patient. Another question - does anyone have experience mixing the paint and clear coat, as Langka suggests? With such an irregular scuff, I'm afraid of the final product being too uneven. Or will polishing the final product solve my worries? Also, how many layers of paint vs clear given my particular scuff?

TOGWT
08-16-2004, 08:22 AM
~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Most ‘Touch-up’ pens use the same application method-

Methodology: Clean – Paint – Sand level – Polish – Protect
·Establish the vehicles paint colour code that can be found on a plaque in the engine compartment or from your vehicle dealership.
·Purchase a touch-up paint from the dealership, or Paint Scratch (paintscratch.com specializes in original factory matched touch-up paint) or a touch-up pen from AutoSharp Pen (autosharpen.com)
·Test the paint in an inconspicuous area before using to ensure colour match
·Use a cleaning product that will clean the area of oil, crease, dirt, polish and wax (P21S Total Auto Wash)
·Use a sanding block and 1200 grit paper (Ace Hardware Rubber Block) soak the block and paper overnight, with a water / soap solution 6:1 for lubrication, or a spot sanding tool (Griot’s P/N 50875) using a light to medium pressure to clean any surface rust or deposits of dirt or wax/polish.
·Soak the area to be repaired with the lubrication solution and keep it well lubricated while sanding
·Once the area is thoroughly cleaned, apply a primer using a touch-up paint applicator (Groit’s P/N 50406)
·Dip the tip of the applicator into the primer and gently touch the paint chip with the tip of the applicator. Should you over-fill; use a clean applicator to soak up any excess.
·Once the primer is thoroughly dry, using either the paint applicator, not the oversized brush that comes with the manufactures touch-up paint, or an AutoSharp Pen® touch-up paint applicator. The pen features a felt tipped applicator that allows you to literally "colour" the damage away.
·Apply clear coat paint in the same manner a coloured paint
·Allow each coat of applied paint to dry for >2-3 hours before the application of subsequent coats
·Use a back and forth motion with the sanding block and paper (do not use circular movements) smooth out the repair and ensure that it is level with the paint film surface Try to limit sanding to the immediate area of the repair
·Use a mild polish to restore surface gloss after carefully rinsing away surface and finish by applying wax / sealant protection
Don’t be apprehensive about trying this if you have the proper tools, a professional body shop usually will charge $150-200

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

yamato
10-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the response, Alex. I'm very willing to be patient. Another question - does anyone have experience mixing the paint and clear coat, as Langka suggests? With such an irregular scuff, I'm afraid of the final product being too uneven. Or will polishing the final product solve my worries? Also, how many layers of paint vs clear given my particular scuff?

SAZMan, did you try Langka? How good is it? Thanks.

330Legend
10-30-2004, 09:26 PM
This method sounds pretty good. I'll give it a try on a foot long scratch I have on the passenger side door.

BahnBaum
10-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Any advice on how to attack this? Should I sand some of the area first? Just slap on the paint and use the Langka? Any help is appreciated.

Sounds good to me. And after you're done with the kid, what are going to do with the car? :p

Alex

SAZMan
11-01-2004, 10:50 AM
SAZMan, did you try Langka? How good is it? Thanks.

I have tried it. The spot is still irregular, but not too bad. Langka works well, but it takes a lot of patience. I had to wipe and repaint a number of times because I kept clearing out the scratch with the Langka. I recommend applying layers over the course of a week, then letting it sit for 1-2 weeks, then using Langka. That seems to have worked for me. I still need to polish the spot out, but I'll post some pics when it is all done. Unfortunately, because of the nature of the scuff, I don't think it will ever be covered completely.