PDA

View Full Version : Calling all detailing experts!!

330soon2b
08-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Ok, I got my car back from the body shop. They replaced the airdamn and everything looks much better. The front fender was replaced and on balance looks pretty good. I found a couple of blemishes that appear to be under the clearcoat. Is there anything I can do about these or do I have to have the fender repainted? The blemishes are small so I really don't want to take the car back for more work. so I am appealing to the experts out there for guidance....help me, please.

Alex Baumann
08-16-2004, 02:56 PM
what kind of blemishes ? A photo would be great.

330soon2b
08-16-2004, 03:13 PM
I'll take a photo tomorrow and post. One looks like a spec of dirt under the clearcoat, the other looks like a small paint bubble, very small, and one looks like a smudge. The smudge bothers me the most. It is difficult to see and only noticeable if you are looking for a problem. I realize that my car can't be perfect and in a year, the smudge will be the least of my problems. :) Anyway, I just thought I would check to see if anyone has recommendations. Going back to a rental car to have these minor items fixed is not something I will do. I will try some detailing tricks and if that doesn't work I will just keep my battle scared car as is. :)

Alex Baumann
08-16-2004, 03:33 PM
I'll take a photo tomorrow and post. One looks like a spec of dirt under the clearcoat, the other looks like a small paint bubble, very small, and one looks like a smudge. The smudge bothers me the most. It is difficult to see and only noticeable if you are looking for a problem. I realize that my car can't be perfect and in a year, the smudge will be the least of my problems. :) Anyway, I just thought I would check to see if anyone has recommendations. Going back to a rental car to have these minor items fixed is not something I will do. I will try some detailing tricks and if that doesn't work I will just keep my battle scared car as is. :)

Ah, I know what you mean. Bring the car back to the dealer. They'll need to point-sand them down and polish/wax it again.

EDIT : You can also try to locate a quality paint shop. They are better than the dealers most of the time.

Artslinger
08-16-2004, 04:29 PM
One of my past cars paint had contaminants that looked like little dirt specs in the clearcoat. They sanded and resprayed the clearcoat and it ended up looking perfect. If its not to deep they might be able to buff it out, but I doubt it.

Sometimes if the problem is barely noticeable its better just to leave it, but ultimately its up to you how much it bothers you and if its worth the trouble.