PDA

View Full Version : Clay With 'Water Only' Lube

///MDex
08-16-2004, 08:49 PM
So I'ma recent conver to the the clay side after claying my wheels recently. Decided during this full detail, I'd clay teh entire MC. Stared researching my best lube options. Short list: QD or soap & water.

Met a professional detailer last week that told me,'...just use straight water from a hose; let it run over teh surface while you clay...' I was skeptical, but his guy makes his living doing this, and I've seen some of his recent work, and it was top notch, so I gave it a try.

Clay: Zaino
Water: standard garden hose nozzle with constant slight opening with the little 'constant on' metal clip behind the trigger

Washed wheels, and then clayed using said method. Viola! It works just fine.

Washed car, left it wet, and went to it. Whenever I way claying, the water was running over that surface. It still is a lot of labor, but it does work.

Full re-rrinse, dried, and all is glass smooth. Went to it with PC+3M FI II. Klasse-ification begins tomorrow :)

KU Ned
08-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Put just a drop or two of carwash concentrate in a spray bottle. I use just a little bit of Z7. The soap will help lubricate the surface of the car.

Desertnate
08-17-2004, 08:27 AM
Put just a drop or two of carwash concentrate in a spray bottle. I use just a little bit of Z7. The soap will help lubricate the surface of the car.

I would think this would be the easiest route. My clay bar came with a bottle of Quick Detail, but when it runs out I have an old spray bottle waiting for duty.

Malachi
08-17-2004, 06:32 PM

That is what I do. I use the same spray bottle to help get rid of bugs stuck on the front bumper.

HW
08-17-2004, 06:41 PM

wouldn't that leave soap marks? i ran out so i ended up buying more of that spray from mother's. :tsk: i could see why they would use water, that spray stuff is pretty pricey for the amount that you need to detail a car.

Malachi
08-17-2004, 06:47 PM
wouldn't that leave soap marks? i ran out so i ended up buying more of that spray from mother's. :tsk: i could see why they would use water, that spray stuff is pretty pricey for the amount that you need to detail a car.

Yes, but I believe it is not any big deal. After I clay, I am usually doing some type of polishing so... I can rinse the car off leaving it really clean or start polising. I don't believe the 16-1 solution is going to make a difference to the paint polish.

Desertnate
08-18-2004, 07:52 AM

I always wash the car after claying anyway. I probably overlube when claying anyway, but I have runs and spots from the QD spray. I don't buff the QD as I clay so it just lays there. When I am done claying, I wash the car with Dawn again and get all that crud off.

///MDex
08-18-2004, 11:00 AM
I always wash the car after claying anyway.That's kind of my reasonsing for trying the water only route. Wash, clay, rinse, dry, polishing stages