PDA

View Full Version : Interior cleaner

Mohegan29
08-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Don't jump me here because I did go to the detailing board and couldn't find anything and was just wondering what cleaners work well for the interior (NON-LEATHER) surfaces like the dash, etc. I also don't like glossy interiors when I'm done.

Nothing exotic but something easily available to me that doesn't have to be special ordered from Tibet.

Alex Baumann
08-19-2004, 11:01 AM
BMW Interior cleaner. I haven't found anything better yet. It's not glossy and smells good (not fancy, just like new interior).

Chris330Ci
08-19-2004, 11:48 AM
I use one of the damp towels left over from drying the outside of my car for cleaning the dash, doors, and center console. No films or nasty residue to worry about. Simple but effective. Lexol cleaner->conditioner for the seats.

bren
08-19-2004, 12:28 PM
I use Griot's Garage interior cleaner and their protectant. It doesn't leave a glossy sticky mess behind. I guess you would call it semi-exotic since it has to be ordered, although just from Washington state :)

///MDex
08-19-2004, 02:54 PM
MF Towel + H20

Malachi
08-19-2004, 11:18 PM
BMW Interior cleaner. I haven't found anything better yet. It's not glossy and smells good (not fancy, just like new interior).

Hmm, I am not familiar with that product. Can you provide some more information?

I use Woolite mixed with water (6 parts water, 1 part Wollite) and it works well on everything in the interior including the wood, leather, vinyl, plastic, etc..

TOGWT
08-20-2004, 07:27 AM
~ One manís opinion / observations ~

Iím in total agreement with Malachi

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

BahnBaum
08-20-2004, 02:14 PM
I generally use a clean, damp synthetic chamois to clean all the interior surfaces. About once a month, I use Einszett Cockpit Premium after wiping down my dash and other plastic surfaces. Non-gloss finish and very pleasant smell.

Alex

KP
08-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Either damp microfiver or Aerospace 303 Cleaner followed with Vinylex/Aerospace (whicever one I have available).

swchang
08-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Is Armor All for the dash not good? And what do you all use for the exterior rubber trim, like the door moldings and the bumper? I have white scuff marks on the rear bumper that I'd like to get out. (And although it's not interior-related, what about the black window trim? Mine is turning a purplish color...)

Lastly, I have a ballpoint pen mark on my driver's side side airbag, courtesy of the dealership. I've mostly gotten it out with some Blue Magic interior leather cleaner, but I can't get it to completely go away. Any suggestions?

BahnBaum
08-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Is Armor All for the dash not good? And what do you all use for the exterior rubber trim, like the door moldings and the bumper? I have white scuff marks on the rear bumper that I'd like to get out. (And although it's not interior-related, what about the black window trim? Mine is turning a purplish color...)

Lastly, I have a ballpoint pen mark on my driver's side side airbag, courtesy of the dealership. I've mostly gotten it out with some Blue Magic interior leather cleaner, but I can't get it to completely go away. Any suggestions?

Armor All isn't going to hurt anything, I just think it leaves an ultra glossy mess, unless it's put on very sparingly (at which point you have to question it's ability to protect).

I use Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Protector for the exterior trim, but it's not going to do much removing scuff marks. If it's get real bad, Mother's Back to Black works wonders.

Alex

Malachi
08-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Armor All isn't going to hurt anything, I just think it leaves an ultra glossy mess, unless it's put on very sparingly (at which point you have to question it's ability to protect).

I use Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Protector for the exterior trim, but it's not going to do much removing scuff marks. If it's get real bad, Mother's Back to Black works wonders.

Alex

I use the Woolite to clean and 303 to protect which does not leave the shiny. I agree with you Back to Black works well. I have found that on really chalkly surfaces you may have to apply it several times but it well worth the effort.

TOGWT
08-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Quote: Lastly, I have a ballpoint pen mark on my driver's side side airbag, courtesy of the dealership. I've mostly gotten it out with some Blue Magic interior leather cleaner, but I can't get it to completely go away. Any suggestions?

~ One manís opinion / observations ~

Ink stains
Some ballpoint ink stains can be sponged clean using 303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover. If this doesn't completely remove the stain, the other alternative is to use Isopropyl alcohol (or a hairspray in an emergency)

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Artslinger
08-23-2004, 08:44 AM
I use the Woolite to clean and 303 to protect which does not leave the shiny. I agree with you Back to Black works well. I have found that on really chalkly surfaces you may have to apply it several times but it well worth the effort.

CMA sells a product called Forever BLACK that will also bring back black trim.

Malachi
08-26-2004, 09:01 PM
Regarding the ink stains:

I did some quick looking around and here are the most common suggestions:

1) Mr Clean Magic Eraser

2) Hairspray, apparently the alcoholic content removes ink

3) anhydrous isopropyl/denatured alcohol

I have not personally tested any of these but I was curious and this is what I found.

swchang
08-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Thanks, y'all. Tried CVS isopropyl alcohol and that seems to have done the trick, although it was a bit dark where my car is parked. I think using the leather cleaner beforehand also helped, but the alcohol seems to have erased even the faint mark left behind. :)

Malachi
08-27-2004, 07:59 AM
Thanks, y'all. Tried CVS isopropyl alcohol and that seems to have done the trick, although it was a bit dark where my car is parked. I think using the leather cleaner beforehand also helped, but the alcohol seems to have erased even the faint mark left behind. :)

That is good to hear. Don't forget to recondition the area :thumbup: