PDA

View Full Version : No Water Temp Gauge in E-60 5 Series

bimmerjim
08-20-2004, 09:41 PM
I purchased a new E-60 5 Series last fall and really love the car. The Sports Package makes it a blast to drive. The fit and finish of the car were impeccable at the time of delivery, and the car has performed flawlessy ever since.

My only complaint is the lack of a water temperature gauge in the instrument cluster. Nor is there any info about water temperture in iDrive. I find this omission strange for a company that prides itself on building a driver's car. The three other BMWs I've owned all had water temperature gauges.

When I contacted BMW about this omission, I was told that the car was designed without a water temperature gauge (I already knew that!) and that I should warm up the car by driving it and not by letting it idle.

Do any other owners of the E-60 miss the water temperature gauge?

Kaz
08-20-2004, 10:10 PM
All new BMWs starting with the E65 only have an idiot light for water temp.

Considering that starting with E39/46, the gauge is essentially just a dummy anyhow (it's straight up between 75 and 110C) this really isn't much of a difference. FWIW, this was supposedly because of customer feedback, as earlier cars with gauges that actually moved around generated too many complaints.

andy_thomas
08-21-2004, 02:22 AM

Considering that starting with E39/46, the gauge is essentially just a dummy anyhow (it's straight up between 75 and 110C) this really isn't much of a difference. FWIW, this was supposedly because of customer feedback, as earlier cars with gauges that actually moved around generated too many complaints.
What's that about the customer always being right - even when they're *completely* wrong? :)

CAFleming
08-21-2004, 05:11 AM

This is incorrect. The temp. guages on the E39 and E46 are electronically buffered, but they are not "dumb" guages. The temperature sending unit in these cars sends a signal to the ECU, rather than the guage directly. The ECU then sends a voltage to the temp. display unit. It IS buffered such that the needle tends to read center. It still will show an increasing temp. condition before the car overheats, it will show the rate of temp. change, and it will show whether or not the hot condition is improving--these are all things that the E60 warning light can't tell you.

I agree with the original poster, obviously. The lack of a temp. guage on the E60 is a serious ommision. What BMW is basically saying is that the majority of our customers are too stupid to know what to do with it anyway. Maybe I'm in the minority, but if even one person is able to avoid overheating their car and cooking the head gasket, I think the inclusion of a temp. guage is a good thing.

CAFleming
08-21-2004, 05:13 AM
By the way, if you think the temp. guage on an E39 or E46 is a dumb guage try this:
Disconnect the auxilliary cooling fan power terminal. Drive around. Watch the temp. guage. You'll be convinced.

Alex Baumann
08-21-2004, 06:05 AM
Will the temp light in the E60 blink, when the car 'under'heats ?

I know that this was the case in the early E46s due to the thermostat failure. There was even a recall on this. The temp gauge needle was never reaching the middle.

I agree, it's silly to omit the water temp gauge. No oil temp gauge, no water temp gauge, in the new 1 Series no fuel consumption gauge too. (at least it can still be read through OBD though)

Kaz
08-21-2004, 09:16 AM
By the way, if you think the temp. guage on an E39 or E46 is a dumb guage try this:
Disconnect the auxilliary cooling fan power terminal. Drive around. Watch the temp. guage. You'll be convinced.

If you ever drive around in an 80s BMW, the E39/E46 is in fact 'dumb.' IMO, the 75-110C range should cover the hash mark area, not just sit straight up. Normal operating temp is 85-100C and should swing a couple degrees off center.

rph74
08-21-2004, 06:15 PM
I would personally PREFER to have an idiot light on my E39 to the temp gauge. All you really need to know is whether you're running too hot or not. I overheated my 91 Eclipse when I wasn't paying attention to the temp gauge and cracked the engine block! :(

I am now more attentive to the temp gauge, but on long trips, I have a hard enough time watching the road, let alone looking at my temp gauge all the time. I would rather have a light stick out at me and tell me to shut it down.

Do all you guys watch your temp gauge ALL THE TIME?

wolverine
08-21-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm not so concerned about the water temperature, it's the lack of an oil temperature gage I don't understand. If you are going to thrash the car, you want to make sure the oil is up to temperature. I know they say they limit the redline if the oil is cold - I want to know what the oil temp is though. Also, I want to know how hot it's getting - especially if I add performance mods!

CAFleming
08-21-2004, 09:42 PM
I would personally PREFER to have an idiot light on my E39 to the temp gauge. All you really need to know is whether you're running too hot or not. I overheated my 91 Eclipse when I wasn't paying attention to the temp gauge and cracked the engine block! :(

I am now more attentive to the temp gauge, but on long trips, I have a hard enough time watching the road, let alone looking at my temp gauge all the time. I would rather have a light stick out at me and tell me to shut it down.

Do all you guys watch your temp gauge ALL THE TIME?

The temp. guage on the E39 also incorporates an "idiot light". When the guage has reached an overtemp. condition, a light comes on like the low fuel warning light. Again, as I posted earlier, I think an even better solution would be a "smart" virtual guage that clearly let me know when something was going wrong, and THEN display all the pertinent info. (on the I drive display, for instance) to let me monitor the situation. I agree with you that nobody is going to watch the guage all the time. I've overheated boat engines a time or two because of that exact scenario--there was no warning unless you happened to looking at the temp. guage.

JonM
08-21-2004, 10:16 PM

Score 1 for the Z4 then. Assuming it's considered "new".

http://www.kalach.easynet.be/TMP_fichiers/bmw_z4_011.jpg

Kaz
08-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Score 1 for the Z4 then. Assuming it's considered "new".
[/IMG]

Well, I meant 'all-new,' since Z4 and X3 are post-E65 but based on the older system architectures and both have water temp.

My M6 doesn't have a fun guage (no, it doesn't have an oil temp in its place like other Ms) so I keep myself amused by watching the water temp.

Fzara2000
08-21-2004, 11:43 PM
It's funny, I posted how there was no oil temp. gauge in the E90 and I got no responses or complaints about it.

And now I hear someone else complaining about the lack of any temp gauges in the E60. Does anyone in the market for an E90 even see the car's features or do they buy it for the damn roundels on the car? Oil temp and water temp gauges are required in cars where the enthusiasts have lead foots!

I don't want to be second guessing my decision to rev to 5 or 6k rpm's when the oil temp in the engine is still cold! BMW, make these gauges standard!

crash8168
08-22-2004, 12:12 PM
I purchased a new E-60 5 Series last fall and really love the car. The Sports Package makes it a blast to drive. The fit and finish of the car were impeccable at the time of delivery, and the car has performed flawlessy ever since.

My only complaint is the lack of a water temperature gauge in the instrument cluster. Nor is there any info about water temperture in iDrive. I find this omission strange for a company that prides itself on building a driver's car. The three other BMWs I've owned all had water temperature gauges.

When I contacted BMW about this omission, I was told that the car was designed without a water temperature gauge (I already knew that!) and that I should warm up the car by driving it and not by letting it idle.

Do any other owners of the E-60 miss the water temperature gauge?
Do to the no. of e46 aluminum engine failures because of overheating i dont think anybody was watching the gauge anyways, maybe the light will be more likely to get their attention.

DoubleVanos
11-30-2005, 06:51 PM
When something went wrong in the cooling system, the warning light will indicate in the dashboard. Telling failure of coolant system. It'll be fine.