PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Cleaner...???

CRZY BMW
08-23-2004, 12:58 AM
It seems like I wash my rims and polish them with mothers wax and two days later there covered in break dust. I know stock BMW's have soft rotors and it creates a lot of break dust but I can never keep them clean... this is with everyday driving...

Does anyone have any good tips on how to keep them clean (other them washing every other day) or a cleaner they use that is good? Mothers wax is the only thing I have used that makes them look new again.

Other then products, for my next break/rotor job, should I go with after-market or will it just do the same thing?

BahnBaum
08-23-2004, 04:22 AM
It seems like I wash my rims and polish them with mothers wax and two days later there covered in break dust. I know stock BMW's have soft rotors and it creates a lot of break dust but I can never keep them clean... this is with everyday driving...

Does anyone have any good tips on how to keep them clean (other them washing every other day) or a cleaner they use that is good? Mothers wax is the only thing I have used that makes them look new again.

Other then products, for my next break/rotor job, should I go with after-market or will it just do the same thing?

No wheel cleaner or wax will reduce the amount of brake dust; they'll just make it easier to clean.

Go with a low dust, aftermarket brake pad. I went with Mintex Redbox, but search the forum because there are lots of choices. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how much of a difference they make.

Alex

cantona7
08-23-2004, 06:52 AM
I think a lot also depends on the type of wheel you have. My Style 71s don't seem to trap brake dust very well and I seldom need to clean them between washings, which I do about every 2 weeks.

jvr826
08-23-2004, 08:06 AM
I recently detailed my car using Klasse products, also applied it to my wheels. I must say they are substantially easier to clean with Klasse on them. The initial hosing off removes most of the dust, then a quick once over with a sponge and they're clean. I use no special cleaners, just a fresh bucket of P21S Auto Shampoo, the same stuff I wash the body with.

When I had my 1999 with style 42's I used P21S gel wheel cleaner. I thought it left a residue on the wheels and decided to not use it anymore.

There are some threads around about the synthetic vs natural wax debate for wheels. I'm all for synthetics!

mscoins
08-23-2004, 10:18 AM
I recently detailed my car using Klasse products, also applied it to my wheels. I must say they are substantially easier to clean with Klasse on them. The initial hosing off removes most of the dust, then a quick once over with a sponge and they're clean. I use no special cleaners, just a fresh bucket of P21S Auto Shampoo, the same stuff I wash the body with.
Ditto here. :thumbup:

DRWWE
08-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Putting carnauba wax on wheels may make them look good, but it doesn't last. The heat from the wheels is too much and it melts off. Try something that will resist heat like Klasse. I use it and it does make the wheels easier to clean, although I still use a wheel cleaner.

:drive:

///MDex
08-23-2004, 12:41 PM
+1

Artslinger
08-23-2004, 12:56 PM
P21S wheel cleaner then Klasse AIO.

Tanning machine
09-07-2004, 01:19 PM

perchance do you have an automatic?

If not, you'd be cussing even more about brake dust if you did.
;)