PDA

View Full Version : 65k miles, brake pads 3mm, rotors look smooth - questions

niceguymr
05-27-2013, 02:40 PM
My X3 has 65k wife driven miles. She's not a hard driver.

Brakes are original and have 3mm remaining. Although you can see the circular lines in the rotors, they are fairly smooth (not deep).

I know that the recommended brake pad change is about 3mm. Based on the wear history, what are the chances that they will last another 8500 miles?

I know everyone says you should change the rotors, but these rotors look to be in pretty good condition. How do I decide if I really need to change them?

Lastly, what's the going rate on a BMW Specialized indie shop for a complete brake change with OEM parts including a brake line flush?

derSpeed
05-27-2013, 04:35 PM
8500 miles may be pushing it depending on how much you like your wife. I think any good shop can replace your brakes. I used cryo-treated rotors and ceramic pads from tirerack.com and I am really happy with them.

X3emist
05-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Change the rotors. I can't believe you got 65000 miles out of a set of brakes but if you did, you definitely need new rotors. Use OEM, I changed to ceramic and they squeak and throw off red dust instead of black dust and DO NOT stop as well.

Supercourse
05-27-2013, 08:23 PM
..... these rotors look to be in pretty good condition. How do I decide if I really need to change them?

You measure the thickness of them at a few spots and if any of those readings are under the Min. as stamped on the rotor they need to be replaced.

Brake rotors are not as thick as they used to be, in the interest of reducing unsprung weight, and BMW rotors are slightly softer than others for optimal brake performance.

Front rotors will almost certainly need replacing, back ones may be good for another set of pads.

Figure at least $1,200 with brake fluid flush at a dealership, maybe $1,000 at an indy using close to O.E. parts.
Seems to be regional variation in pricing and/or negotiation room.
But not the wide variation as for some other jobs as it's mostly parts cost with fairly straightforward labor.

nightmareuki
05-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Replace them, especially after 65K. I had mine replaced under warranty at 49K, now have 70K and just had them resurfaced because i felt a little vibration on the highway, pads are about 50% worn, will get new rotors when time to change pads

niceguymr
05-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Ok... So considering that I would most likely be replacing my rotors then...

Should I at least wait until the brakepad sensor indicator lights up on the dash? In other words... I might as well get a little more use out of these pads since the rotors are going to be replaced, right? Am I risking any damage to any other components of the brakes by letting the pads go a little longer?

I'm not talking about running the pads down to the metal and risking safety. I'm talking about running them another 5 - 8 k miles if that.

Supercourse
05-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Should I at least wait until the brakepad sensor indicator lights up on the dash?

Sensor is only on RR and LF so if you have uneven pad wear, inboard to outboard, or across an axle, you may be metal to metal before sensor triggers.

If rear rotors are within min. spec. and don't need to be replaced, you could end up having to anyway.

Better to save $15 on reusing an intact sensor than trying to squeeze another few dollars worth out of nearly non-existent pads IMO.

jdauria
05-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Sorry to go off topic a little, does anyone know the rotor specs? Are they similar to 330s? I only asked because:
1) I have an X3
2) I have an entire 330 brake system laying around (Caliper, carriers, SS lines, Akebono pads, BMW Performance rotors)
Was wondering if I could use the BMW Performance rotors on my X3? 325x25mm Fronts 320x22mm Rears

I am in a similar situation as the original poster

swampX3
05-28-2013, 08:46 AM
car serviced from new @BMW too far apart intervals....a big pitfall we think cause the spacing of inspections is inadequate to catch critical items near failure.....2 years ago.....@ 66k miles on a 330 paid $766 inc tax for all pads, wear indicatorsX2,brake flush.....also......echoing another post......wife heard grindy noise from wheel.....took to shop pronto......pads on one only non wear indicator wheel had worn to nub......other wheels had 3-4 mil left......rotors still ok ..... now has 93k and braking very very well.....rotors are good.....would not recommend you stretch your risk.....one of those calls that need to be very conservative for safety where it counts
also .....04 X3 3.0 pads etc changed at 66k miles and fluid flushed DIY for ~$175......rotors still very good .......pads ~ 5 mil....... a very doable DIY

niceguymr
05-28-2013, 08:55 AM
car serviced from new @BMW too far apart intervals....a big pitfall we think cause the spacing of inspections is inadequate to catch critical items near failure.....2 years ago.....@ 66k miles on a 330 paid $766 inc tax for all pads, wear indicatorsX2,brake flush.....also......echoing another post......wife heard grindy noise from wheel.....took to shop pronto......pads on one only non wear indicator wheel had worn to nub......other wheels had 3-4 mil left......rotors still ok ..... now has 93k and braking very very well.....rotors are good.....would not recommend you stretch your risk.....one of those calls that need to be very conservative for safety where it counts
also .....04 X3 3.0 pads etc changed at 66k miles and fluid flushed DIY for ~$175......rotors still very good .......pads ~ 5 mil....... a very doable DIY

Sorry SwampX3 but I'm having a little trouble reading your post :)

So how long was it before the first time you changed rotors on the X3?

swampX3
05-28-2013, 09:15 AM
rotors on the 04 X3 were still good at pad change ....no rotors needed changing......did replace both wear indicators .... a very easy wire routing for a diy

Supercourse
05-28-2013, 10:17 AM
The criteria for rotor replacement that a BMW shop goes by when changing pads:

Front rotors must measure no less than 23.4mm. thick (they are 25mm. when new)

Rear rotors must measure no less than 20.4mm. thick (they are 22mm. when new)

Of course, you can decide to not change rotors without measuring them if surface looks good, and get away with it.

But when those new pads eventually get near the end of their life, that old rotor is going to be really thin.

niceguymr
05-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Just thought I'd provide a little pricing update in case anyone is interested:

Complete brake job including rotors, pads, sensors, and flush + all OEM parts & labor + taxes:

Dealer: $1900
Indy: $1300

The only benefit the dealer offers is a free loaner for the duration of the job.

The cost of all the parts if I were to do it on my own would be around $800 if I went all OEM.

jdauria
05-28-2013, 07:28 PM
If your a cca member you get discount on oem parts my friend.

fivepointnine
05-28-2013, 09:17 PM
you should be able to get OEM pads and centric rotors for about $300 and replace them yourself, takes about an hour total, its REALLY easy, like easier than changing the oil easy.

bdunn
05-29-2013, 04:44 AM
2005 X3 2.5 Replaced original brakes, and rotors at about 65k miles with fluid flush by dealership under maint agreement. Changed again at about 120K miles myself, replaced all pads but did not replace rear rotors, just the fronts. Used pads and rotors recommended by my Indy. No issues, and almost no dust.

niceguymr
05-29-2013, 06:22 AM
Ok, So I'm building up the confidence to do this myself.

Where is the best (and cheapest) place to get OEM brake components - pads, rotors, and sensors?

I have typically bought all my other stuff from ECS without issue and have been very pleased with their service, but I see they don't have the rear brake pads. Is this possibly because the rear pads are the same as the front? :confused:

What other parts dealer would carry ALL the parts I need? Just curious who people use around here.

jdauria
05-29-2013, 06:26 AM
Turner Motor Sport, Pelican Parts, Autohauz, ECS, getbmwparts (aka Tischer)

swampX3
05-29-2013, 06:29 AM
a good brakes r us video can be viewed at the bavauto utube site

fivepointnine
05-29-2013, 07:46 PM
I got mine off Ebay last time. But the above listed companies are good, ECS, Turner, Pelican Parts, E-euro parts, real OEM, etc.

swampX3
05-31-2013, 10:55 AM
most of the clean and lube stuff in these videos can be subbed with a trip to the local auto store ....but ........depends if you have one close by I suppose.....also a good pile of rags and a little lube is enough for the shade tree approach !......best skip the gasoline as a cleaner approach though....we don't want any in memoriam posts

http://blog.bavauto.com/10012/bmw-brake-pad-and-rotor-change-brake-job-diy-video/

niceguymr
06-01-2013, 09:00 PM
I just ordered this stuff to use as brake parts lubricant (and as anti-squeal) and I'm wondering if it was not the best choice because it contains 'ceramic'. What says the hive about this if using OEM brake pads which are not ceramic? (or is that irrelevant?)

Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018PSASU/ref=oh_details_o02_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

niceguymr
06-02-2013, 02:13 PM
The criteria for rotor replacement that a BMW shop goes by when changing pads:

Front rotors must measure no less than 23.4mm. thick (they are 25mm. when new)

Rear rotors must measure no less than 20.4mm. thick (they are 22mm. when new)

Of course, you can decide to not change rotors without measuring them if surface looks good, and get away with it.

But when those new pads eventually get near the end of their life, that old rotor is going to be really thin.

Im thinking about going ahead an getting myself a rotor micrometer ($50 on Amazon) before ordering the new rotors.

So are you saying that if there's only about 1mm of wear on the rotors, that they should be good for the life of another set of pads? In other words, say the front rotors measure 24mm and the rears measure 21, then I 'should' be good to go?

Also, I hear/read about people getting their rotors turned. How much benefit can you actually get out of that with BMW rotors if the tolerance for wear is so little? Is it even worth the time/money?

Supercourse
06-02-2013, 02:44 PM
I think you will find that at 65K miles the front rotors will measure closer to 23mm. than 24mm.

If they are around 23.4mm. then you can certainly decide to keep them, although the grooving won't be the best situation for the new pads to bed into.

The rears will probably be around 21mm. so should definitely be good to reuse.

Getting rotors turned appears to cost around the price of inexpensive new rotors these days so doesn't get done often.

dkotanto
06-02-2013, 04:26 PM
If you change the pads only, make sure you use the same pad as what you have on now. Changing the compound of the pad with rotors that have the old pad compound bedded in them could cause vibrations, squeaking and other issues.