PDA

View Full Version : uh oh!

solsurfr
08-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Man oh man, I hope I didn't screw this up but I was putting the finishing touches on my '04 E46 this evening with a good wash and detail. Well, I was cleaning the rear window and completely forgot about the rear defroster lines. I sprayed some windex on my rag and began to clean the rear window and noticed that small parts of the lines were faded, but not broken.

Please tell me if I screwed myself on this one. It's the middle of the summer and there really isn't a way for me to test out the rear defroster. Like I mentioned, the lines are broken but small parts of a few lines are faded.

What do you guys think? SH*T!!!!!! :(

BahnBaum
08-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Man oh man, I hope I didn't screw this up but I was putting the finishing touches on my '04 E46 this evening with a good wash and detail. Well, I was cleaning the rear window and completely forgot about the rear defroster lines. I sprayed some windex on my rag and began to clean the rear window and noticed that small parts of the lines were faded, but not broken.

Please tell me if I screwed myself on this one. It's the middle of the summer and there really isn't a way for me to test out the rear defroster. Like I mentioned, the lines are broken but small parts of a few lines are faded.

What do you guys think? SH*T!!!!!! :(

I can't imagine that you damaged your rear defroster with windex and a rag. But if you're unsure, you can test your defroster with a voltmeter. Turn on the defroster and touch one lead to each of the wide vertical bars along the sides of the defroster. It should read around 12 volts. If you're good there, take readings at various places along the horizontal lines of the grid to isolate a break in the grid. When you pass over a break, your voltmeter reading will change significantly.

If you do have a break, there are some products out there that you can use to repair breaks pretty easily.

Alex

solsurfr
08-23-2004, 06:45 PM
I can't imagine that you damaged your rear defroster with windex and a rag. But if you're unsure, you can test your defroster with a voltmeter. Turn on the defroster and touch one lead to each of the wide vertical bars along the sides of the defroster. It should read around 12 volts. If you're good there, take readings at various places along the horizontal lines of the grid to isolate a break in the grid. When you pass over a break, your voltmeter reading will change significantly.

If you do have a break, there are some products out there that you can use to repair breaks pretty easily.

Alex
Thanks.... correction on my original post... the lines "are not" broken but just faded on some parts do to my wiping with the rag :(

LDV330i
08-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks.... correction on my original post... the lines "are not" broken but just faded on some parts do to my wiping with the rag :(
It could probably just be a chemical reaction between the Windex and the grid metal (copper) that may not affect performance.:dunno:

Artslinger
08-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Huh?

Why would a car company design a rear window that cannot be cleaned with windex and a rag?

solsurfr
08-24-2004, 05:54 AM
Huh?

Why would a car company design a rear window that cannot be cleaned with windex and a rag?
That's a good question but I know I wasn't seeing things when I was wiping the window and seeing the lines fade in some areas. My rag could've been to course or whatever but I was certainly surprised.

TOGWT
08-24-2004, 06:26 AM
Quote: Why would a car company design a rear window that cannot be cleaned with windex and a rag?

~ One manís opinion / observations ~

Most OEM also manufactures car care products especially formulated for cleaningÖcars

A word of caution, do not be tempted to use household cleaning products for automotive cleaning as they are formulated for very different purposes and could cause damage. Avoid any products that contain bleach, ammonia or harsh detergents (like Windex) as they usually also contain high levels of sodium.

Iím not sure if it was the bleach or the sodium content that removed the colour from you cooper lines, but Iím glad the damage was not more serious than that.

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Artslinger
08-24-2004, 06:33 AM
What there is no sealing over the wires? I have used windex on my cars windows for years and never had any problems.

solsurfr
08-24-2004, 06:45 AM
What there is no sealing over the wires? I have used windex on my cars windows for years and never had any problems.
Sealing? I felt the lines thru my rag as I was cleaning. I would expect that these lines would be integrated into the window more but they were definitely on the outside of the glass. :dunno:

solsurfr
08-24-2004, 06:46 AM
Quote: Why would a car company design a rear window that cannot be cleaned with windex and a rag?

~ One manís opinion / observations ~

Most OEM also manufactures car care products especially formulated for cleaningÖcars

A word of caution, do not be tempted to use household cleaning products for automotive cleaning as they are formulated for very different purposes and could cause damage. Avoid any products that contain bleach, ammonia or harsh detergents (like Windex) as they usually also contain high levels of sodium.

Iím not sure if it was the bleach or the sodium content that removed the colour from you cooper lines, but Iím glad the damage was not more serious than that.

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon
Thanks for the tip... No more windex in the rear window for me. That's for sure. :thumbdwn:

Artslinger
08-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Sealing? I felt the lines thru my rag as I was cleaning. I would expect that these lines would be integrated into the window more but they were definitely on the outside of the glass. :dunno:

Right, I thought the wires were sealed or covered with a film of some kind.

Artslinger
08-24-2004, 08:08 AM
From what I can find out the wires are printed onto the glass.

http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_sat/2001/1/repair_defroster/

solsurfr
08-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Right, I thought the wires were sealed or covered with a film of some kind.
...and you would think that would make sense since some of us want to clean the glass?? :dunno: