PDA

View Full Version : Help - Carnuba He!!

bimNaround
08-23-2004, 10:18 PM
I have an awful milky/oily haze on the hood of my car and can't figure it out. See attached picture below. This is what I did. After a bunch of research I did my first detail this weekend. I washed with Maguires Gold Class. Repeat wash with Dawn to strip. Pinnicle clay with lots of lubricant. Hood looked good after this and fealt very smooth. Another wash to make sure all dirt was gone. PC'd with P21S carnuba wax all over the car while in the shade on a cloudy day. I used Proper Auto Care Viper buffing micro cloths to remove the wax by hand. It looked good when I was done. The next morning, I drove the car and then when I put it back in the garage, I noticed the milky /oily haze on the hood that wouldn't go away. It was kind of like an oily slick but just on the the part of the hood that got hot from the engine. The sides of the hood outside the crease and on the window side of the air vent intake were fine- nice and shiney like the rest of the car. I then rewashed with Meguires Gold Class and no help. I got the Dawn back out and washed the hood again. Maybe a little better but if so not by much. I got the Klasse All In One out and PC'd the hood thinking that whatever was on the hood would be cleaned up by the polishing part of the Klasse AIO. This made it look a little better but the sun was going down and I couldn't tell :dunno: I then put some P21S on over the Klasse. I read where this was actually a good combination. When I pulled into the garage, there was a big difference. Most if not all the milky/oily haze was gone. Went to work the next day and it looked good out in the sunshine. I'm home free I thought. Well, when I got back home it was back the way it was after the first PCing of the P21S with a milky/oily haze on the hood inside the hood crease and in front of the air intake vent. Outside the creases and on the windshield side of the air intake are nice and shiny. In fact all the rest of the car is still nice and shiny. Anybody care to venture what went wrong? Oh, the car is a 9 month old MY 04 that didn't have any problems before I waxed.

BahnBaum
08-24-2004, 03:32 AM
If you don't get answers here, post this over at autopia.org.

Alex

Artslinger
08-24-2004, 06:10 AM
When using P21S wax I only do a 3-4 square foot area at a time and I don't use the PC. I apply by hand using a Microfiber application pad and then follow up with a MF towel removing any haze. I then go over the area one more time with a clean MF towel and lighty buff the area. Then move on to the next area.

TOGWT
08-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Quote: I have an awful milky/oily haze on the hood of my car and can't figure it out.

~ One manís opinion / observations ~

Hazing:
Smearing or a dull look to the paint film surface after removing residue usually occurs when there is an excess of product applied in high humidity conditions and moisture is trapped between the fast drying top layer and the lower layer of the hydroscopic wax.

The paint films surface temperature being cooler than the outside air accelerates this process by allowing the top layer of wax to harden before the lower level.

To elevate this allow more time for the wax to completely set-up (dry) before removal. Alternatively lightly spray the surface with distilled water, the excess wax will adhere to the water droplets and can then be wiped away with 100% cotton towel

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Artslinger
08-24-2004, 07:30 AM
The P21S seems to dry fairly quickly at least in my garage. I find working the wax in until it hazes, immediately remove the haze then coming right back and buff the area works the best. Use as little P21S wax as possible if the surface is in good condition a little goes a long way.

DRWWE
08-24-2004, 10:00 AM
I agree with the above comments. When reading your post the first thing I noticed was using P21S all over the car before buffing. The wax will get too hard and difficult to remove. I do one panel at a time and it is easy to buff and looks great. You may be using too much material. P21S is very easy to apply by hand and I don't see why you would want to use a PC (PC is great for liquids like Klasse).

You are using great materials. Just takes a little practice.

If I were in your place, I would strip the wax with Dawn then start over, clay the car, then wax a small area at a time by hand. If you decide to use Klasse instead you can use the PC, just remember to apply AIO on a small area at a time (HGSG works better if you do the whole car BY HAND before buffing, by the way). Klasse followed by P21S is my preference.

Good luck.

:drive:

bimNaround
08-24-2004, 10:21 AM
I agree with the above comments. When reading your post the first thing I noticed was using P21S all over the car before buffing. The wax will get too hard and difficult to remove. I do one panel at a time and it is easy to buff and looks great. You may be using too much material. P21S is very easy to apply by hand and I don't see why you would want to use a PC (PC is great for liquids like Klasse).

You are using great materials. Just takes a little practice.

If I were in your place, I would strip the wax with Dawn then start over, clay the car, then wax a small area at a time by hand. If you decide to use Klasse instead you can use the PC, just remember to apply AIO on a small area at a time (HGSG works better if you do the whole car BY HAND before buffing, by the way). Klasse followed by P21S is my preference.

Good luck.

:drive:

I didn't wax the whole car before removing. I waxed and removed the wax a panel at a time. I did the hood in 4 seperate sections. I used the PC to take advantage of the randomness of the pad to prevent any swirling since I have OB paint.

bimNaround
08-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Quote: I have an awful milky/oily haze on the hood of my car and can't figure it out.

Hazing:
Smearing or a dull look to the paint film surface after removing residue usually occurs when there is an excess of product applied in high humidity conditions and moisture is trapped between the fast drying top layer and the lower layer of the hydroscopic wax.

I wonder why this only happened to the hood. I did the whole car using the same technique.

Artslinger
08-24-2004, 11:05 AM
I wonder why this only happened to the hood. I did the whole car using the same technique.

Was the hood cool to the touch before the application?

bimNaround
08-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Was the hood cool to the touch before the application?

Yes. It was a cloudy day.

Artslinger
08-24-2004, 11:41 AM
You could try the excellent product, P21S Gloss-enhancing Paintwork Cleanser and then re-apply the wax.

bimNaround
08-24-2004, 01:16 PM
You could try the excellent product, P21S Gloss-enhancing Paintwork Cleanser and then re-apply the wax.

That was what I was attempting to do when I used the Klasse AIO. The Klasse is all I had on hand to clean. Does the Klasse AIO have any ability to do this type of cleaning?

Artslinger
08-24-2004, 01:49 PM
That was what I was attempting to do when I used the Klasse AIO. The Klasse is all I had on hand to clean. Does the Klasse AIO have any ability to do this type of cleaning?

Yes it should. I find that the Gloss-enhancing Paintwork Cleanser does a better job though so if everything else fails you can try the product. Try applying the wax by hand this time using as thin a coating as possible, and wipe with a clean dry MF cloth, you will need 4-5 towels for a e46.

"Hazing, streaking, and uneven gloss can result from using too much wax or waxing a surface thatís too hot. If the gloss is uneven, mist the waxed surface with distilled water and re-wipe with a fresh towel. A spray bottle with distilled water and 1/2 teaspoon of Isopropyl alcohol is a great solution for removing problem streaks and cloudy patches."

Kar Don
08-24-2004, 02:48 PM
i guarantee those are scratches from you applying the wax. Make sure you are using a clean wax applicator (preferably foam), the car is dust free, and using a 100% cotton USA towel or good quality microfiber towel. I def think they are scratches because you said it went away with klasse AIO. JMO.

bimNaround
08-24-2004, 03:21 PM
i guarantee those are scratches from you applying the wax. Make sure you are using a clean wax applicator (preferably foam), the car is dust free, and using a 100% cotton USA towel or good quality microfiber towel. I def think they are scratches because you said it went away with klasse AIO. JMO.

Why then only on the hood when the prep and procedure was the same for all the car?

I used a Lake Country red (http://www.properautocare.com/hi612infopaa.html) pad and a Porter Cable 7424 random orbital polisher to apply the wax and a microfiber buffing cloth (http://www.properautocare.com/vipeshmibucl.html) to remove the wax. The pad and cloths were brand new before I started. I prewashed the cloths with a liguid detergent.