PDA

View Full Version : Devices to clean wheels

kurichan
08-25-2004, 12:00 PM
Are there any powered devices out there to make cleaning wheels a little easier?

HW
08-25-2004, 12:12 PM

Desertnate
08-25-2004, 12:16 PM
http://www.thebugshop.org/images/site/grinder2.gif

:dunno: :D :angel:

kurichan
08-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Picture of electric toothbrush...
:bustingup:

But it just might work... :D

If only I had 3 hours to clean my wheels! :)

kurichan
08-25-2004, 12:35 PM
http://www.thebugshop.org/images/site/grinder2.gif

:dunno: :D :angel:My brake dust isn't THAT bad! :eek:

BoyScout
08-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Are there any powered devices out there to make cleaning wheels a little easier?
I ordered a set of wheel cleaning brushes from Griots (link below). They are not powered, but they work pretty good.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1002&SKU=15220

HW
08-25-2004, 02:14 PM
I ordered a set of wheel cleaning brushes from Griots (link below). They are not powered, but they work pretty good.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1002&SKU=15220

don't forget the griot knee pad :p

MMME30W
08-25-2004, 04:24 PM

Elbow grease and a 0.79 foam paint brush from Wal-Mart :angel:

kurichan
08-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Elbow grease and a 0.79 foam paint brush from Wal-Mart :angel:Yeah - I'm looking for a substitute for the elbow grease. ;)

MMME30W
08-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Yeah - I'm looking for a substitute for the elbow grease. ;)

Yeah, I hear you dude. Not powered, but what about some of the P21S cleaner? I had a bottle a while ago with the MBZ, ran out and never refilled. But when I sprayed the wheels before starting on the car you just about hose off the wheels and they would be clean.

Of course, after reading the detailing forum for a while I always start washing the car by cleaning the wheels first; but it is a royal pain with the 135Ms... :(

HW
08-25-2004, 04:54 PM

power washer :dunno: set to gentle . not sure if it would strip the paint of the wheels though.

RSPDiver
08-25-2004, 06:07 PM
You have kids? Use them!

bimNaround
08-25-2004, 08:02 PM

This is one subject that I just can't figure out. I've had the car for almost a year and have never had a problem cleaning my wheles. Is the trouble from no access to the dirty area because of small spaces or the dust is just too hard to get off? I just casually wipe over the wheels with a wash mitt using the car wash and they are clean :dunno:

LDV330i
08-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Elbow grease and a 0.79 foam paint brush from Wal-Mart :angel:
:stupid:

I get my foam brushes at Target, 3 for 99 cents. Quick and easy way to clean the wheels.

Malachi
08-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Cleaning Wheels is a pain :mad:

I changed my brake pads to Axxis Deluxe Plus Pads which dust like 75% less than OEM. I bought them from Zeckhausen Racing (http://www.zeckhausen.com/). I then seal my wheels with Klasse SG which makes cleaning easier. I tend to use QD to keep them clean in between washes.

To answer your question though, I have heard of folks using the Black and Decker Scum Buster to clean there wheels. It comes with a brush to help you with that.

Nick325xiT 5spd
08-25-2004, 09:01 PM
I pulled my Axxis Deluxe Plusses because they stopped like crap. When I pulled them, I found they were cracked and starting to crumble.

...of course, I'm hard on my brakes.

BahnBaum
08-25-2004, 09:08 PM
I pulled my Axxis Deluxe Plusses because they stopped like crap. When I pulled them, I found they were cracked and starting to crumble.

Calling what you had "brakes" is a real stretch Nick. :p

Alex

kurichan
08-25-2004, 09:08 PM
This is one subject that I just can't figure out. I've had the car for almost a year and have never had a problem cleaning my wheles. Is the trouble from no access to the dirty area because of small spaces or the dust is just too hard to get off? I just casually wipe over the wheels with a wash mitt using the car wash and they are clean :dunno:It rains a lot in Georgia, so you have to wash your car. It hardly ever rains in Southern California. In fact, my car has never been rained on! As a result, we don't wash our cars, we DUST them (no kidding!). If you don't wash your car, keeping the wheels clean becomes a big issue!

kurichan
08-25-2004, 09:10 PM
To answer your question though, I have heard of folks using the Black and Decker Scum Buster to clean there wheels. It comes with a brush to help you with that.Scum Buster? Is that really what it's called? :rofl: I'll look that up!

Malachi
08-26-2004, 06:18 AM

They are definitely not for spirited driving :nono: The first time I took my car to a track, I did so with the OEM pads and they did OK. Towards the end of the run I could feel that they were starting to fade. That is when I switched to the Axxis Ultimate Pads, but even those are not enough once you really start going hard into turns. Once I decided to stop tracking the car, I went for the least amount of brake dust. The Axxis Deluxe Plus pads can't take any kind of track driving but they work well for street driving.

Dave Z. can provide much more pad inoformation.