PDA

View Full Version : New Imola Red ZHP - Detailing Products Help Needed

Jon Long
08-27-2004, 03:07 PM
OK.. Before anyone flames me, I have been lurking, searching, and reading the forums for the past couple of weeks. I decided to put this thread up in hopes that people can chime in and give their opinions for me in one place.

I'm a new, first-time BMW owner with the purchase of my new '04 Imola Red 330i ZHP. I am certainly no stranger to the products needed in taking care of my cars. However, with the purchase of the ZHP I am in a whole new class of detailing products. :)

What I am looking for is some advice on which are the best products to get for various areas of the car, and where to get them. Please understand that I'm not an expert detailer who is going to be out clay-barring, waxing and polishing every square inch of the car each week (although I have already convinced my neighbors I'm crazy by using the peanut butter trick to get rid of some wax residue on the black trim)... :)

I want to use the best products I can which take the least effort and can be applied in a reasonable amount of time. This is a brand new car, and should not need a lot of prep work on the finish. I just want the most reasonable products to use on a fairly regular basis.

Could people please chime in with their recommendations for the following areas of the car?

* Exterior Painted Surfaces
* Exterior trim areas (black trim, rubber weatherstripping, etc..)
* Wheels (wheel cleaner, wax, etc..)
* Tires (which satin tire dressing?)
* Interior Vinyl (dashboard, door panels, etc..)
* Interior Leather (Lexol is what I used to use)
* Windows (which cleaners can actually get rid of the outgassing haze on the insides of windows??)

I know these questions have all been answered and argued over in many other threads. I just haven't been able to come to conclusions about what I should really use for my car. Especially considering I'm extremely busy and just don't have the time to put 20 coats of everything on my car.

I've been tempted to just buy the standard BMW-branded cleaners (shampoos, polish, leather cleaner, etc..) and call it good. But I'm also familar with the Zainio, Klasse, Lexol, etc.. brand names and pretty much only hear those products being discussed.

Also, I'd like to know a good place to buy these products online. I've spent quite a bit of time surfing around bavauto.com and pacificbmw.com and they seem to have everything I've been reading about here. Do those places typically have good prices, or can this stuff be found cheaper elsewhere ??

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to respond to this newbie. :thumbup:

- Jon

2004 330i ZHP Imola Red
iPod 3G 20GB w/BMW adapter (my only mod!)

Artslinger
08-27-2004, 04:19 PM
I buy my products from Griots and CMA...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

http://www.properautocare.com/index.html

BahnBaum
08-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Exterior painted surfaces I love Klasse AIO and SG. You may want to consider topping it with a carnauba to bring out the richness of your car color. Doesn't do much more for my silver gray. I also use P21s car shampoo and Sonus Acrylic Spritz as a QD and I carry a spray bottle of Poorboys Waterless Carwash in the trunk for bird crap.

For my wheels I've been perfectly happy with Meguiers Hot Wheels. Inexpensive and gentle but it works well. I started out using P21s products, but they get pricey.

For the tires and rubber I've been using Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl, just the right amount of flat shine and not glossy at all.

The interior stuff I've started using is Einszett Cockpit Premium. Not glossy and nice smell.

Leatherique for my leather, but I may try the Spinneybeck product next.

Sonax Glass Cleaner works great, but I may be paying more than I need to.

I've been buying most of my products from the online shop at autopia.org and have been very happy with their service, and their prices seem in line with others.

Alex