PDA

View Full Version : First, Wow, then, ouch!

Tex
08-30-2004, 11:47 AM
OK, I finaly got around to do a full true new car detailing. When delivered (unwashed, unprepped at my request), I just had a few minutes to do a quick wash and a coat of detailing wax (Meguiars).
Then yesterday, I had the time to do the full thing: wash with Dawn, Clay, 2 AIO, 1 SG. I had never used the Klasse products and yes, the result is WOW! Nice shine!

Unfortunately, we are right now under "love bugs" siege! The result: 2 miles to work and my front end is covered with those little suckers! OUCH! Can't they leave my nicely detailed car alone???

Last, a quick question: I am affraid I waxed over a few small imperfections (dried bug residue that were hard to spot when waxing). What would be the best way to go about these? I was thinking to remove the wax with rubbing alcohol, clean the bug residue, then 2 AIO, 1 SG. What do you think?

///MDex
08-30-2004, 10:03 PM
(dried bug residue that were hard to spot when waxing). What would be the best way to go about these? I was thinking to remove the wax with rubbing alcohol, clean the bug residue, then 2 AIO, 1 SG. What do you think?
Dried bugs: try a damp cloth first, or maybe even hose it down. Let the water soften the guts, otherwise you'll scratch the finish if you try to take then off if they are still dry and crusty (ask me how I know). Then maybe some AIO, buff off until clean, then reapply your SG x2 or 3. I layer more SG on the front bumper since it receives so much wear. HTH

BahnBaum
08-31-2004, 03:37 AM
I think you'd get more bang for your buck by doing 1 AIO and several layers of SG.

Alex

Tex
08-31-2004, 06:45 AM
I think you'd get more bang for your buck by doing 1 AIO and several layers of SG.Alex

I was counting in doing 2AIO / 2SG but weather and bugs prevented me from putting on the second coat of SG.
Anyhow, do you mean there is no interest in applying multiple coats of AIO? Cuz if it were to allow to cut 1 step, I would be happy!

///MDex
08-31-2004, 07:04 AM
Anyhow, do you mean there is no interest in applying multiple coats of AIO? Cuz if it were to allow to cut 1 step, I would be happy!Correct, no benefit in doing multiple layers of AIO

TOGWT
08-31-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by TexAnyhow, do you mean there is no interest in applying multiple coats of AIO? Cuz if it were to allow to cut 1 step, I would be happy!

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Klasse All-In-One (AIO) contains a solvent cleaner; the only advantage in applying more than one coat is to ensure no areas are missed. AIO cannot be ‘layered’ as the solvent content will remove the previous layer.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Desertnate
08-31-2004, 08:18 AM
I have noticed that with two coats of SG all over the wifes bug smasher...er SUV...the splatters wipe off much easier. On my car which is waxed, it seemed the guts became embedded in the wax/paint and were hard to get off.

From an uneducated perspective it seems the SG does truly seal the paint and prevents the guts from going anywhere.

Mr. E
08-31-2004, 10:39 AM
I used Klasse for the first time on Sunday (1 AIO + 1 SG). This morning I was able to remove several yellow "bug turds" that accumulated on Sunday afternoon/Monday, and with a small spray of Sonüs Spritz and a MF cloth, I was able to slide most of them off the paint intact with no rubbing. That's never happened to me before so I'd definitely say that Klasse is providing top notch paint protection. :thumbup:

Tex
08-31-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks all for the advice and tips.

So, now that my front end got "bugged". do you think I can wash the car and then put on a second coat of SG, or should I wait for the next full detailing session?

Desertnate
08-31-2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks all for the advice and tips.

So, now that my front end got "bugged". do you think I can wash the car and then put on a second coat of SG, or should I wait for the next full detailing session?

I would go ahead and add the next coat of SG. From many of the threads here, as long as you give the first coat 24hrs to cure you can load up the second.

I put my second coat on the wifes vehicle about 2 weeks after the first. If Klasse lasts as long as they claim, I may be able to make it to next spring before the next marathon detail. :D

Tex
08-31-2004, 03:07 PM
I would go ahead and add the next coat of SG. D

OK, now I know what I will be doing tonight!

BahnBaum
08-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Most people recommend waiting a minimum of 24 hours between SG coats to let it cure. I agree with those that say multiple applications of AIO are useless.

I've got 3 coats of SG on mine, and after 6 months, it's showing signs of needing to be redone. I'm very pleased.

Alex

jeff330i
09-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Yesterday I applied AIO and my first layer of SG. Couple Q's:

1) how well do you need to "work" the AIO in? I went over each panel very slowly and I think it took me nearly 2 hours to complete the car. My arms KILL today.

2) is SG safe on plastics, headlights, rubber, glass etc as AIO is?

Desertnate
09-01-2004, 01:47 PM

1) how well do you need to "work" the AIO in? I went over each panel very slowly and I think it took me nearly 2 hours to complete the car. My arms KILL today.

2) is SG safe on plastics, headlights, rubber, glass etc as AIO is?

1) I don't think it requires much "working" in. I just carefully wiped it on with a damp microfiber pad

2) Yes. I didn't apply it to glass, but covered every other surface with no problems. :thumbup:

///MDex
09-01-2004, 02:20 PM

2) is SG safe on plastics, headlights, rubber, glass etc as AIO is?#1 Not much, but enough pressure to remove paint contaminants or blemishes. 2 hours is a bit too much time I think, but it certainly didn't hurt (the car :))

#2 Yes x4