PDA

View Full Version : X3 vs. 3 Series

Northern Song
09-02-2004, 08:51 AM
I just traded in a 2003 3 series for a 2004 X3. I'm very happy with the trade, but I'll say one negative thing about the X3. When you have a car, you have a mental picture of what that car is. With my 3 series, I would sometimes look at it at certain angles and think to myself that it was a much more beautiful car than I generally gave it credit for (and I thought highly of it always). With the X3, I will sometimes get a look at a certain angle or focus on a certain detail and think to myself that it is a somewhat uglier car/truck than I generally give it credit. I still think the X3 is great, no real complaints, but the 3 series is, in my mind, an almost perfect realization of what that car it is trying to be. The X3 isn't quite there yet.

Gee3
09-04-2004, 09:08 AM
I feel the same way sometimes about my X3 as well. Sometimes I look at it and it just doesn't look right like it's missing something. I think it's because I like the bulkier and (for lack of a better word) more masculine lines of the X5. The X3 looks anemic at times.

But once inside and driving those feelings go away quickly. I just wish we would have gotten leather instead of the platicky/vinyl-like pleatherette! hehe!

euro-d
09-30-2004, 09:34 AM
I feel the same way sometimes about my X3 as well. Sometimes I look at it and it just doesn't look right like it's missing something. I think it's because I like the bulkier and (for lack of a better word) more masculine lines of the X5. The X3 looks anemic at times.

But once inside and driving those feelings go away quickly. I just wish we would have gotten leather instead of the platicky/vinyl-like pleatherette! hehe!

Well, if you get the leatherette and change your mind, you can still add leather of the same quality or better later for not much more cost than the factory leather.
I'm going to pass on leather if buy an X3. I'd really rather have cloth anyway, so I will likely get seat covers for the two front seats to cover the leatherette.