PDA

View Full Version : Zaino finish a little *too* shiny?

dorkus
09-02-2004, 04:17 PM
so i did a full wash/detail the other day as per this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70656

and the results were great... the finish is buttery smooth. but now, i'm wondering if it's a little too shiny... it's glossy to the point of making my silver grey metallic look more silver than grey, and i actually prefer a slightly darker color. maybe i applied a little too much Z2 + ZFX on the second coat? or perhaps i let it cure too long? the first coat was about a half hour for curing, but the second i accidentally let sit for a little over 2 hours as i got tied up doing other things... it still buffed off easily though. i don't see any leftover product but the surfaces feel very waxy to the touch. perhaps i should have buffed a little more... or is this a pretty standard Zaino result? is there a way for me to emphasize the darker grey side of my silver grey finish, or is any sort of polishing job going to tend to make things look lighter?

Slowin_Fastout
09-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Try an enriching filler like 3M Imperial Hand or Machine Glaze under the Zaino.

Artslinger
09-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Too shiny... :rofl:... some people spend two days getting that look.

The 3M Imperial Hand Glaze should add some depth it works really good on dark metallic paints... like OB.

dorkus
09-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Too shiny... :rofl:... some people spend two days getting that look.

yeah, i dunno... call me weird if you will. :p it's so shiny and waxy right now, i kinda feel like it clashes a bit with the texture of the metallic paint... not that i'm saying i want a matte or dull finish either, but i think the excessive shine cheapens the look a little... it looks kind of... plastic or something. maybe i just didn't buff it evenly enough. :dunno: it was pretty easy for me to get the shine though since my car was already pretty clean and slick to begin with.

i'll look into the 3M product, thanks guys. is it hard to use - i.e. could i mess up my paint if i don't know what i'm doing? if i could add a little depth to the finish w/o too much hassle, that would be great.

Artslinger
09-02-2004, 05:19 PM
The 3M Hand Glaze is greasy and it stains don't get any on your trim.

TeamM3
09-02-2004, 10:39 PM
use Z-5 rather than Z-2, it has slightly less clarity and the side benefit of filling minor surface swirls & scratches as they inevitably develop

TOGWT
09-03-2004, 06:54 AM
~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Try Pinnacle Signature Series Wax- is a low-solvent Carnauba wax (making it an ideal LSP) and polymer mix that is perfect for metallic painted surfaces and for light coloured vehicle paint, providing a clean bright shine.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Alamo
09-23-2004, 09:59 AM
so i did a full wash/detail the other day as per this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70656

and the results were great... the finish is buttery smooth. but now, i'm wondering if it's a little too shiny... it's glossy to the point of making my silver grey metallic look more silver than grey, and i actually prefer a slightly darker color. maybe i applied a little too much Z2 + ZFX on the second coat? or perhaps i let it cure too long? the first coat was about a half hour for curing, but the second i accidentally let sit for a little over 2 hours as i got tied up doing other things... it still buffed off easily though. i don't see any leftover product but the surfaces feel very waxy to the touch. perhaps i should have buffed a little more... or is this a pretty standard Zaino result? is there a way for me to emphasize the darker grey side of my silver grey finish, or is any sort of polishing job going to tend to make things look lighter?

What's Zaino ?

dorkus
09-23-2004, 10:01 AM
What's Zaino ?

www.zainobros.com

TOGWT
09-24-2004, 07:08 AM

~One mans opinion / observations~

3M Imperial Hand Glaze contains oil (like all glaze products)
The presence of oil may inhibit the cross-linking process of a polymer or linking together of the chains (monomers or building blocks) to form a ‘structure’ by acting as a barrier and will compromise its strength, durability, drying time, and bonding.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Desertnate
09-24-2004, 07:15 AM
Would the depth increase and the shine be toned down a little by throwing a coat of Carnuba on the top? I believe that is what some folks are afer when they put a coat of Carnuba on top of Klasse. :dunno:

dorkus
09-24-2004, 07:19 AM
Would the depth increase and the shine be toned down a little by throwing a coat of Carnuba on the top? I believe that is what some folks are afer when they put a coat of Carnuba on top of Klasse. :dunno:

that sounds like a good bet... i'm kinda leaning towards just sticking to the Zaino though. i think i got a little lazy on my 2nd coat and didn't buff it thoroughly... my friend tells me i'll get much better results with a orbital polisher, so i'll try that next time.

incidentally, the "too shiny" quality didn't last too long anyway - one trip on the Turnpike and it was toned down quite a bit. :p i am however very pleased with how the Z2/ZFX is protecting... we had some heavy rain a couple weeks ago, then i washed the car last weekend, and the beading was impressive... the finish does not attract dirt and washing is a cinch. good stuff. :thumbup:

Artslinger
09-24-2004, 07:24 AM
incidentally, the "too shiny" quality didn't last too long anyway - one trip on the Turnpike and it was toned down quite a bit.

One nice shower of big city acid rain will take the shine off any car.

dorkus
09-24-2004, 07:26 AM
One nice shower of big city acid rain will take the shine off any car.

yeah. this time around though, it was the remnants of Hurricane xxx (? i lost track...), so the water was probably less acidic than usual. that's what i like to tell myself at any rate...

DDB
09-27-2004, 07:43 AM

Be careful here. If you apply a polish with oily fillers prior to Zaino, you should wash the car prior to the Zaino application (Zaino likes a smooth oil-free surface to bond to). But then you've washed away oils, which are the main effective ingredient of IHG.

In other words, I don't think you'll gain much by using IHG under Zaino.