PDA

View Full Version : The Undercarriage?

EdCT
09-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Up here in New England, our cars are exposed to all kinds of winter abuse; sand and salt from highway crews gets lodged up and around nooks and crannies, some of which is impossible to see.

Do any of you guys (anywhere in the country or abroad) spend any significant amount of time underneath the car trying to get what's visible at least somewhat clean?

And if so, what do you do?

Ed

Mantis
09-10-2004, 04:53 AM
Heres what you do,
If you have local do it yourself carwashes with hi pressure hose,clean under the car everytime you wash it.Salt can rust out the best of the best.Rinsing out the wheel wells and underneath is a good idea.

For home use you can buy a pressure washer.Undercoating is another good idea.It protects and even lower the interior road volume(BMW is already a very quiet interior car but having this just tops it off)

BahnBaum
09-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Heres what you do,
If you have local do it yourself carwashes with hi pressure hose,clean under the car everytime you wash it.Salt can rust out the best of the best.Rinsing out the wheel wells and underneath is a good idea.

For home use you can buy a pressure washer.Undercoating is another good idea.It protects and even lower the interior road volume(BMW is already a very quiet interior car but having this just tops it off)

I would not use a pressure washer on the underside of my car. Without being able to see what you're spraying; the average gas powered pressure washer could easily tear off something important. On the other hand, using a high pressure hose at a self car wash to get out salt and other crud is a great idea.

Alex

alpinewhite325i
09-12-2004, 06:10 AM
Heres what you do,

AFAIK, undercoating is a HORRIBLE idea.

I just use my regular garden hose and do the best I can to clean the underside.

EdCT
09-12-2004, 09:07 AM
AFAIK, undercoating is a HORRIBLE idea.

I just use my regular garden hose and do the best I can to clean the underside.

This is what I do, but I'm on a well, so pressure isn't always the best.

Ed

TOGWT
09-13-2004, 08:58 AM
~One manís opinion / observations~

A Power Washer might be an alternative to low water pressure-

Cleaning a vehicle undercarriage can be greatly simplified by the use of a high-pressure power hose. These machines deliver 20 times the pressure of a garden hose while just using a fraction of the water. The power wand allows you to control the pressure pump, turning it on off and adjusting the outlet pressure.

Unit uses a 110-120 VAC outlet and a household water supply. A siphon tube in the tank allows you to spray a cleaning solution or plain water.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon