PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to use a microfiber mit to wash your car (70/30 polyester/polyamide weave)?

acribb
09-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Just wondering. I see the sponges and other things out there, i'm just completely overwhelmed on the 'right' way to wash my new car.

I was planning on using the microweave mit with some turtlewax spray wash for washing the car, then detailing with the Klasse AIO and Klasse SG. I just bought a bunch of microfiber towels (70/30 polyester/polyamide weave) and a large microfiber drying towel for use after washing.

Is this a good plan? Do I need a chenille wash pad? Is the turtlewax zip wax stuff ok? It says it doesn't remove wax.....

Thanks in advance for any help!

Artslinger
09-07-2004, 08:22 AM
I use a microweave mit and microfiber towels and have had no problems, make sure to use a good auto shampoo.

acribb
09-07-2004, 09:28 AM
I use a microweave mit and microfiber towels and have had no problems, make sure to use a good auto shampoo.

Any recommendations on a good auto shampoo?

Artslinger
09-07-2004, 09:53 AM
I use P21S Bodywork Conditioning Shampoo... but Pinnacle, Sonüs, Autoglym, and Griot's all make good shampoos.

Desertnate
09-07-2004, 10:31 AM
I have also read from folks here that the Meguires Gold Class shampoo is pretty good. I like that idea since I can get a big jug of that stuff at Target. Right now I am using some cheapo Blue Coral soap and it SUCKS big time.

Since you are prepping to do a Klasse treatment, I would use a good 'ole dish washing soap like Dawn or Palmolive to strip the old wax off the paint.

After you have done your Klasse treatment, use a good car shampoo. The only thing that made me :confused: is you mention the Turtle Wax car soap in one post and then call it Zip Wax in another. Does that Turtle Wax soap have wax in it? If so, that is the last thing you want to wash with if prepping the car for a good detailing. I would probably stay away for a wax/shampo anyway and just get a good Quick Detailing spray for later post washes. Sonus makes Glanz and Spritz are good for using on a Klasse prepped surface. There was a discussion as to which is best last week in this forum.

As for towels and such here is what I do.

Sponge wash, Chamois dry, micro-fiber pad for Klasse application and micro-fiber towel for buffing.

acribb
09-07-2004, 11:19 AM
As for towels and such here is what I do.

Sponge wash, Chamois dry, micro-fiber pad for Klasse application and micro-fiber towel for buffing.

Just curious: Is there anything wrong with using a microfiber mit vs. a sponge or a microfiber towel for drying vs. a Chamois? I'm thinking this is a preference thing, I just want to make sure not to scratch my new baby..... :p

Desertnate
09-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Just curious: Is there anything wrong with using a microfiber mit vs. a sponge or a microfiber towel for drying vs. a Chamois? I'm thinking this is a preference thing, I just want to make sure not to scratch my new baby..... :p

A lot of folks get nervous with using a sponge for washing because of their uncanny ability to trap grit and then scratch your paint. I make sure I never drop it on the ground and avoid running it over areas where there is a large accumulation of mud/abrasive gunk. So far it has worked very well for me. I like a sponge simply because it is easier to hold on to than a rag. A mit would work just as well.

As for the Chamois vs. a MF towel, I like the Chamois because I can use it for the entire car. I used terry cloth towels for a while, but hated having to switch to another towel or two when the one being used became water logged. My wife hated having to wash even more towel than we normaly go through. A chamois keeps working no matter how wet it is, and when I am done, I rinse it with the hose and hang it up to dry ready for the next time.

acribb
09-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone!

TOGWT
09-08-2004, 07:27 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations~

Flat synthetic sponges, chamois leather or washcloth's can trap dirt, grit or road debris between the material and the paint film surface causing scratches.

Wash brushes, sheepskin mitts or waffle weave towels because of their construction cannot trap anything and are mush easier to rinse then a synthetic flat sponge.

A Microfiber waffle weave towel will dry most vehicles without having to wring them out (try one I doubt you will ever go back)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon