PDA

View Full Version : New E60 ignition failure

nolan222
09-07-2004, 09:11 AM
I was driving my new e60 (3000 miles) over the weekend to dinner through a canyon in LA and suddenly my car "died". On the info screen it said ingnition fault failure. Not only did it die, I lost power in the stearing and brakes also. On top of this, the car would not turn on and I has to get it towed!!! Has anybody had this problem , or heard any storys like this. 04 525i sport/premium :mad:

bigredexpy
09-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Sorry to hear this. Glad nobody was hurt.

Keep us posted.

scope12da
09-07-2004, 02:05 PM
jeez, this almost sounds like the reason the 545 got recalled recently - if the vehicle stalled for any reason, all power assist could be lost! All the fault was the computer; I had to wait for 3 weeks to get mine swapped out before I could take delivery...!

DotBalm
09-08-2004, 10:14 AM
nolan222,

There was a recall that affected 2004 model year 5-series and 6-series equipped with the 8-cylinder engine (545i, 645Ci, 645Cic) so this may not have been what affected your '04 525.

For what it's worth, the Recall Campaign letter was dated July 2004 - I bought in June - and is No. 04V-303: Fule Line Clip. That is some scary sh**, I'm glad no one was hurt.

nolan222
09-13-2004, 09:38 AM
I was driving my new e60 (3000 miles) over the weekend to dinner through a canyon in LA and suddenly my car "died". On the info screen it said ingnition fault failure. Not only did it die, I lost power in the stearing and brakes also. On top of this, the car would not turn on and I has to get it towed!!! Has anybody had this problem , or heard any storys like this. 04 525i sport/premium :mad:

So I finally got back my car back from the dealer after 5 days! The dealer replaced the ignition module and upgraded the idrive software. He said he never had any problems like this before and this was a"fluke". To replace the ignition module is big job, I think. So this was a "big" fluke...

Everything seems to be working fine.

540 M-Sport
09-13-2004, 01:42 PM
jeez, this almost sounds like the reason the 545 got recalled recently - if the vehicle stalled for any reason, all power assist could be lost! All the fault was the computer; I had to wait for 3 weeks to get mine swapped out before I could take delivery...!

Uh, guys?......pretty much ANY car that has the engine die, loses all power assist to steering and brakes. Try it some time in a empty parking lot.

harmonyjones
04-02-2005, 09:38 PM
I had the exact same problem here in Hong Kong
E60 525i Sedan (2004)
Engine died - "Ignition Failure" on the display
needed to be towed and had to wait 5 days for a replacement parts from Germany (parts had to match my serial number for some reason)

Very scary. Brakes + steering lost power.

Car is back now but am noticing creaking / rattling noises from the doors / windows on periodic basis.

My patience is running out.

Anyone else have this problem?

swhitt
09-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Recently bought a new 2004 E60 530i. Stopped tonight and bought gas, made it about 20 miles down the road, and the car DIED! Message of "Ignition failure, may only be able to start vehicle with brakes depressed." The engine would turn over, but could not get it to start. Sounds like the exact same problem. The car was towed to the dealership tonight and I hope to find out something tomorrow.

iove75
09-13-2005, 07:34 PM
Any of you try to lemon law this? It is a life threatening defect.