PDA

View Full Version : 520 Automatic question

Hadley
05-22-2002, 03:34 PM
I own a 94! 520iA, 30,000 km's! It's a great car, no problems yet, one thing though, when I drive in 2nd, the shifting is bizzare, e.g. the trans is reluctant to shift into 2nd., as it does when driven in higher ranges. I was wondering whether this was normal, if anyone is still driving this car.

Alex Baumann
05-22-2002, 04:00 PM
Welcome aboard.

Hmm, maybe Off-Topic, but what's up with your nickname ? That reminds me of an old story ;)

Hadley
05-23-2002, 04:13 AM
an American bomber plane that has landed in Turkey, and which is now in a museum in Istanbul. I use it bcause it is easy for me to remember (after a while one tends to forget the handle and the password).

Alex Baumann
05-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Hadley
an American bomber plane that has landed in Turkey, and which is now in a museum in Istanbul. I use it bcause it is easy for me to remember (after a while one tends to forget the handle and the password).

Aye, exactly. It was Hadley's Harem, one of the Consolidated B24 Liberators (USAF 98th Bomber Group 'Pyramiders') which 'survived' the Ploesti raid in Rumania on August, 1st 1943.

Interesting handle anyways.

Welcome aboard again.

Hadley
05-23-2002, 12:07 PM
seeing the cockpit of the plane in the Koc Industrial Museum in Istanbul and have done considerable research. As you may know, Hadley is the name of the pilot; 1st.Lieutenant Gilbert Benny Hadley who has lost his life after the plane crash landed very near the shore in south of Turkey, Antalya.

Nice coincedence, that you have recognized this, how did you yourself get to know about Hadley's Harem? I would be very much interested if you have any specific document, material specific to the plane that you may want to share with me.
Best regards from Istanbul.

Alex Baumann
05-23-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Hadley
seeing the cockpit of the plane in the Koc Industrial Museum in Istanbul and have done considerable research. As you may know, Hadley is the name of the pilot; 1st.Lieutenant Gilbert Benny Hadley who has lost his life after the plane crash landed very near the shore in south of Turkey, Antalya.

Nice coincedence, that you have recognized this, how did you yourself get to know about Hadley's Harem? I would be very much interested if you have any specific document, material specific to the plane that you may want to share with me.
Best regards from Istanbul.

I had some email exchange with Tabacoff's (he was the navigator) nephew or daughter, can't remember the name though. (Found on a B24 website)

I have a huge list of internet links. Need to dig them up. I'll post them later or I'll PM you.

Hehe, this is getting an Off-Topic post but it's fine.

BTW, below is the list of the crew, do you happen to know what the other guyz were doing ?

Pilot Lt Gilbert "Gib Hadley
Copilot Lt Rex Lindsay
Gunner Roy Newton
Engineer Russel Page
Navigator Harold Tabacoff
Bombardier Leon Storms
? F. Leonard
? Frank Nermoth
? Persing Waples
? Christopher Holweger

Hadley
05-23-2002, 04:58 PM
I suppose the name was Tova, on the Tidalwave board but did not respond to me. The list of the crew is in the following;

Pilot Lieutenant Gilbert B. Hadley
Co-Pilot James R. Lindsay
Navigator Harold Tabacoff
Engineer Russell Page
Bombardier Leon “Bud” Storms
Radioman William Leonard
Armorer-Gunner Sergeant Christopher “Blacky” Holweger
Gunner Sergeant Pershing W. Waples
Gunner Sergeant Leroy Newton
Gunner Sergeant Frank Nemeth

Russell Page is still alive, I talked to him on the phone. Leroy Newton who got the wreck out of the water with a fellow called Fritzell passed away 1-2 years ago, etc.

If it is not too much of a hassle to send to me the internet links my adress is; korua@efes.net.tr and my name is Adnan Sabri Koru.

(The B24's and Tidal Wave is an interesting subject, also Hadley's Harem is one of the airplanes whose story is most published, but still it was surprising to meet someone who was also interested on this board).
Regards, Adnan.