PDA

View Full Version : Question about rock chips and window nicks...

scott4862
09-10-2004, 10:17 AM
Hey guys... first of all, I would like to Introduce myself. My name is Scott, and I have been reading over these forums for about 2 months in preperation for my first BM purchase. I can't tell you guys how much you've helped, and entertained, me. Well, I recently (3 weeks ago) bought an '03 Saphire Black Metallic 325Ci. I got a great deal on the car, IMHO, and I have been driving the heck out of it since... which brings me to my problems...

I live in Illinois and I-57 has not been kind to me...

While I bought the Bimmer in near-mint condition, I have already noticed a half dozen rock chips on the nose of the car. So many so fast that I am seriously considering investing in a clear film covering for atleast the nose.

Still... I have the problem of the rock chips. These are pretty assorted is size and depth. There are a few mild scatches that have'nt broken through to the primer. Then there are 2 or so that the white primer is clearly visible under. And, finally... there are two that appear to have broken through all paint coats and possibly reached sheet metal :bawling: . To add to my misery over the tainting of my new car, I also noticed a scratch/chip in the driver's side window (about the size of a grain of rice) which haunts me every time I am in the car. I went through the procedure in the sticky's to repair the lighter scratches, but I really think I would like to have the deeper marks done professionally. Also, I would like to investigate my options for repairing the glass if I have any. I would rather repair than replace obviously, but if I do need to replace I talked to the BMW dealer nearest here and they said that they normally just contract out to a local auto-glass maker for this stuff and I might have better luck going straight to them.

Does anybody have advice on this? Specifically, what are your opinions on professional repair of the paint versus a DIY attempt? Do you think think repair of the glass would be possible? What are your thoughts on the "clear bra" type solutions? And, do you know of any good professionals in Illinois (preferably the Chicago or Champaign areas) that can help me with repairing the paint or glass or installing a film protectant?

Thank you very much for your help...

Scott.

(PS I can take pictures if it would help.)

Dave 330i
09-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Hey guys... first of all, I would like to Introduce myself. My name is Scott, and I have been reading over these forums for about 2 months in preperation for my first BM purchase. I can't tell you guys how much you've helped, and entertained, me. Well, I recently (3 weeks ago) bought an '03 Saphire Black Metallic 325Ci. I got a great deal on the car, IMHO, and I have been driving the heck out of it since... which brings me to my problems...

I live in Illinois and I-57 has not been kind to me...

While I bought the Bimmer in near-mint condition, I have already noticed a half dozen rock chips on the nose of the car. So many so fast that I am seriously considering investing in a clear film covering for atleast the nose.

Still... I have the problem of the rock chips. These are pretty assorted is size and depth. There are a few mild scatches that have'nt broken through to the primer. Then there are 2 or so that the white primer is clearly visible under. And, finally... there are two that appear to have broken through all paint coats and possibly reached sheet metal :bawling: . To add to my misery over the tainting of my new car, I also noticed a scratch/chip in the driver's side window (about the size of a grain of rice) which haunts me every time I am in the car. I went through the procedure in the sticky's to repair the lighter scratches, but I really think I would like to have the deeper marks done professionally. Also, I would like to investigate my options for repairing the glass if I have any. I would rather repair than replace obviously, but if I do need to replace I talked to the BMW dealer nearest here and they said that they normally just contract out to a local auto-glass maker for this stuff and I might have better luck going straight to them.

Does anybody have advice on this? Specifically, what are your opinions on professional repair of the paint versus a DIY attempt? Do you think think repair of the glass would be possible? What are your thoughts on the "clear bra" type solutions? And, do you know of any good professionals in Illinois (preferably the Chicago or Champaign areas) that can help me with repairing the paint or glass or installing a film protectant?

Thank you very much for your help...

Scott.

(PS I can take pictures if it would help.)
Get yourself a touch up bottle of paint, and dab the chips using a toothpick or the tip of a pointed nail to cover them up. Now, go enjoy your car and stop worrying about the little stuff. In a year or two, those little nagging issues will be so small you wonder why you spent so much time worrying about them in the first place. I am not trying to take away the value of your car. I own a jet black car, and those little pitted rock chips are much more pronounced than yours, but there are so many other things I want to do that I don't want to spend my time trying to overcome those pesty chips. That's my philosophy. Take it for what its worth.

BahnBaum
09-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Well, representing the obsessed comes an opinion much different from Dave330i's.

I have a clearbra that was installed days after I purchased new. I would definitely do it again. If you're even considering doing a clearbra now, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're willing to go take on the expense of also getting your hood repainted. That and a clearbra install could get pretty pricey.

To me, you can provide a significant amount of protection by being anal about the way you drive, especially on the highway. I try to leave plenty of distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me, I avoid dumptrucks, flatbeds and pickup trucks (some of the beds of those things are filthy and large bumps clean them out pretty quickly), and I am always aware of the roadsurface; bad highway surface = increased following distances from me.

It's entirely possible to be anal about the appearance of your car AND enjoy driving the heck out of it. It just takes a little more concentration.....

Alex

scott4862
09-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks a lot, Dave and Alex...

Dave, I understand what you are saying. Infact, the initial shock of seeing those blemishes has already worn off considerably. I definitely need to loosen up a little bit and just enjoy my new car. Thanks for the advice.

With that being said, I really do love this car, and it was in such great condition when I bought it. I take a lot of pleasure and pride in trying to keep the car looking as good as possible... it just makes me feel better about my investment in a great car--like I'm really getting the most out of it.

As far as your advice, Alex, I have to say I'm pretty impressed by your care in just driving the car. Partially due to the fact I just got it, and partially due to the fact its a great car, I can't help myself from driving the heck out of it most of the time. But, I do admit, just being a little smarter about the way I drive would definitely save me a lot of headache in the end, and I think just having that said to me from a fellow owner makes it make that much more sense to me. Thanks a lot.

Now... if I can only get these chips taking care of... I can go back to enjoying my new care... smartly. :)

DotBalm
09-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Chicago - great town. I've always wanted to "move" Chicago to San Francisco. No input re where to take your car for repair.

For a DIY'er project, this thread may help now or in the future - lots of photos, it's posted in this forum.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32625

I did not order the clear bra because I did not research it and it came as a surprise offering when I was sitting in the dealership. Since I don't like surprises I said no. I don't know if that was a mistake or not, I was concerned about the appearance of the plastic over time, scratches to the plastic and residue accumulation at the edge of the plastic.

I ordered touch up paint within a week of buying my car on the advice of a relative who has multiple black cars - BMW, MB. Have not used it, but am accumulating chips - it sickens me slightly, it's a reality that is hard to deal with while I still have "new car syndrome". I live a stone's throw (pardon pun) from a highway interchange where there are quarries and cement operations and tons of new construction and trucks/cars kicking up all manner of crap so I sympathize. :cry:

During certain times of day I deliberately select alternative on-ramps to avoid chip-intense areas. I've stopped bursting to ridiculous speeds because I assume it just makes the chips deeper and bigger or allows me to hit more before they settle on the road in front. It's a theory, my $.02. Best of luck.