PDA

View Full Version : what to do with old rotors? trash? recycle center?

pt00323i
09-15-2004, 09:46 AM
just want to know what you guys do with old rotors after a brake job. I have a few sets laying around.

I'm thinking of putting it in the trash, bad idea?

TD
09-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Locally, the county has a trash transfer station/recycling center. I've dropped mine off for recycling.

Salvator
09-15-2004, 10:29 AM
just want to know what you guys do with old rotors after a brake job. I have a few sets laying around.

I'm thinking of putting it in the trash, bad idea?Need to tie anything down? Use them as weights by hanging them off a rope... Need to work out? Make your own dumbbells... Lots of uses for old car parts... Mind you I made a beer mug out of a VW Beetle cylinder and connecting rod... works great, but full it weighs about 10lbs... if you drink too much, you knock yourself out with it! :ouch::rofl:

The Roadstergal
09-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Planters.

Actually, I keep a couple around as tools for pushing out bushings. They're the right size for some.

JST
09-15-2004, 11:40 AM
You can take them to a scrap yard and actually sell them for a small amount of money. Probably not worth doing for a set or two, but if you have a few sets that can add up to a good bit of weight.

KP
09-15-2004, 11:44 AM
A friend of mine with a honda civic si wanted to take them off my hands :eek: . I'd recycle them, though.

Hutchman
09-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Any auto parts store will take care of them for you. (autozone/oriely) They will also take old fluids. No cost.

The Roadstergal
09-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Any auto parts store will take care of them for you. (autozone/oriely) They will also take old fluids. No cost.

Schuck's will take old engine oil and nothing else. No filters, no rotors, no coolant, no brake fluid, no gear oil...

Clarke
09-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Sell them to Goth Body art folks as earlobe plugs.

HW
09-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Need to tie anything down? Use them as weights by hanging them off a rope... Need to work out? Make your own dumbbells... Lots of uses for old car parts... Mind you I made a beer mug out of a VW Beetle cylinder and connecting rod... works great, but full it weighs about 10lbs... if you drink too much, you knock yourself out with it! :ouch::rofl:

do they fit olympic bars? :dunno: :rofl:

BobC
09-16-2004, 05:08 AM

I'm thinking of putting it in the trash, bad idea?

I take mine to the shop that works on my car. They have a pile of stuff like that out back. About once a month someone comes and picks it all up to take it to the scrap yard.

Salvator
09-16-2004, 07:21 AM
do they fit olympic bars? :dunno: :rofl:
Should slip right over the ends of a driveshaft, after you remove the u-joints... (U-joints make excellent kitchen trivets, BTW)... :rofl: