PDA

View Full Version : X3 Loaner...

MG67
09-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Well dropped of my 325i Touring for Service I this morning and they gave me a X3 for the weekend... Drives ok but I must say there are a lot of rattles going on in this car. Also the step is a little jerky... in Drive and in Sportmode... :( Tonight we will drive to Santa Barbara :D and see how it is on the freeway... more later...

LeucX3
09-17-2004, 01:29 PM
Sounds like they haven't performed the TSB on this one yet. I used to have them, but now they're gone.

MG67
09-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Sounds like they haven't performed the TSB on this one yet. I used to have them, but now they're gone. Is that some sort of update to the interior or something...?

Mr. E
09-17-2004, 01:32 PM
I had an X3 loaner when my 325ci was in for Inspection I. What got me about it was the steering--I had to spin the wheel so much to make a turn, it felt like I was driving a bus!

kurichan
09-17-2004, 03:35 PM
I had a brand new stripped X3 2.5 loaner for a few days, and now a decked out X3 3.0 with 6,000 miles, on loan again. The 2.5 was an absolute joy to drive (although the interior was shockingly crappy).

The 3.0 has been a nightmare. It feels sluggish, sucks gas, the step is jerky as you say, and it creaks like it's falling apart, but I'm told that it's probably in need of a door seal lube, which sounds familiar as our 528iT had the same issue.

But the steering seems great for an SUV. And of course the brakes are pure BMW.

ProcyonB
09-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Well dropped of my 325i Touring for Service I this morning and they gave me a X3 for the weekend... Drives ok but I must say there are a lot of rattles going on in this car. Also the step is a little jerky... in Drive and in Sportmode... :( Tonight we will drive to Santa Barbara :D and see how it is on the freeway... more later...

Same thing in a test-drive X3 in AZ -- dealer said it was [somethingsomethingsomething, maybe the TSB, something to do with finishing the vehicle that they didn't do on loaners/test vehicles] and our finished X3 wouldn't have any of the issues. When we got our X3, we didn't have any of the issues.

MG67
09-17-2004, 04:58 PM
I had a brand new stripped X3 2.5 loaner for a few days, and now a decked out X3 3.0 with 6,000 miles, on loan again. The 2.5 was an absolute joy to drive (although the interior was shockingly crappy).

The 3.0 has been a nightmare. It feels sluggish, sucks gas, the step is jerky as you say, and it creaks like it's falling apart, but I'm told that it's probably in need of a door seal lube, which sounds familiar as our 528iT had the same issue.

But the steering seems great for an SUV. And of course the brakes are pure BMW.Yeah it feels a little smaller or about the same to my Touring, steering is almost the same, nice and sporty specially for a stripped version... Breaks are perfect...:thumbup:

MG67
09-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Same thing in a test-drive X3 in AZ -- dealer said it was [somethingsomethingsomething, maybe the TSB, something to do with finishing the vehicle that they didn't do on loaners/test vehicles] and our finished X3 wouldn't have any of the issues. When we got our X3, we didn't have any of the issues.I would say that these are distributed by BMW to have people loan and have them come back to by a new car... My wife is interested and I told her already to go for the decked out 3.0 version...

SARAFIL
09-17-2004, 05:03 PM
I would say that these are distributed by BMW to have people loan and have them come back to by a new car... My wife is interested and I told her already to go for the decked out 3.0 version...

BMW had a special program a few months ago to partially subsidize the use of X3s as service loaner vehicles. Many dealers have at least a few X3 loaners in their fleet as a result of that.

I think it's a great idea-- the X3 is a nice car to drive, and driving one around for a day to two while your car is being serviced can really sell someone on the features of the car, giving them ideas for a replacement or additional vehicle.

MarcusSDCA
09-17-2004, 06:26 PM
I just picked up an X3 2.5 loaner...I think it drives pretty nicely. I decided to open the sunroof...*****! That panorama roof is awesome...the headliner must roll up somehow...it's too long to disappear without rolling up.

I'm not sure if my loaner has the sport package but the steering response is very quick.
Lots of road noise compared to the 5er...and yes, the interior is very low end. But I would rather drive this than any other baby SUV.

I would have had my 5er back for the weekend but the I-drive software update was still going on by the time the dealer closed...so I got the X3 for the weekend. It sure beats the Monte Carlo I got yesterday morning.

MG67
09-17-2004, 09:57 PM
I think it's a great idea-- the X3 is a nice car to drive, and driving one around for a day to two while your car is being serviced can really sell someone on the features of the car, giving them ideas for a replacement or additional vehicle.[/QUOTE]
I like that about this program... now my wife can see if she likes the vehicle or wants to trade her 330ci for a 5 series...:D

teknic330
09-18-2004, 01:53 AM
I got a very base X3 2.5 from my dealer last friday, only option was the premium package and steptronic and I like it. It could use more power tho.

MarcusSDCA
09-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Second day with the X3 2.5 loarner: I'm still very impressed. It handles like a car...not an SUV. Very sporty even without the SP. Very peppy engine, and better road feel than my E60. And the visibility is fantastic...you get a great view all around including a huge chunk of sky with that amazing moonroof.

I just wish they would put another $500-1000 into the interior. It is the least "Beemer" like interior I've ever seen, quality wise.

Maybe I can get the 3.0 Sport as a loaner next time my I-drive needs work. That shouldn't be a long wait.

RCK
09-19-2004, 12:20 AM
I find the dealer advertising on the front doors extremely funny.

Do they really have to do that?! I would feel strange driving around with "Courtesy Car # 17" on my doors :eeps:

SARAFIL
09-19-2004, 08:04 AM

Do they really have to do that?! I would feel strange driving around with "Courtesy Car # 17" on my doors :eeps:

What better way to advertise? The dealer owns the car-- they can put whatever they want on it!

gojira-san
09-19-2004, 08:27 AM
The BMW dealer here has a small window decal on the rear window of some of the loaners. The Volvo dealer in town has all personalized plates on their loaner fleet. Don't know what the Porsche/Audi dealer does. Never seen the door thing though!

beware_phog
09-19-2004, 08:56 AM

But the steering seems great for an SUV. And of course the brakes are pure BMW.

I have an X3 3.0 and love it. I don't know what you are talking about as I drove it all of Europe and love it as much. I guess it's all perspective, but mine is not sluggish, it gets 20 MPG (more on highway) and the transmission is fine. And, no creaks.

And how can you say a 2.5 was a "joy to drive" and the 3.0 "sluggish"? It's the same car and the 3.0 has a bigger engine.

MG67
09-20-2004, 07:33 AM
Well on Saturday we went up to Santa Barbara and I must say that this car drives great, said before not like an SUV more like a 3 series. The interior on this car is a big minus, it's really cheap and my wife said it looks more like a Honda on the inside then a BMW... We know that if you have the premium and sport on this car along with the 3.0 it would be a very nice car. Still my wife would like a little bit more space and I think she would be looking at the X5.
With regards to the stickers on the side, they can put anything on there... couldn't care less... it's their car...

jhwe46
09-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Well on Saturday we went up to Santa Barbara and I must say that this car drives great, said before not like an SUV more like a 3 series. The interior on this car is a big minus, it's really cheap and my wife said it looks more like a Honda on the inside then a BMW... We know that if you have the premium and sport on this car along with the 3.0 it would be a very nice car. Still my wife would like a little bit more space and I think she would be looking at the X5.
With regards to the stickers on the side, they can put anything on there... couldn't care less... it's their car...

Hey - check the interior specs on the X3 v X5 - in many case there is very little difference, and some cases the X3 is larger. But then again, space is sometimes in the eye's mind.

solsurfr
09-20-2004, 09:08 AM
I also got an X3.0i loaner today when I dropped off my '04 325XI. It is definitely a nice car but really worlds away from anything that I'm use to on my E46. I wasn't really that impressed overall but it did handle relatively well for an SUV (or SAV). The interior definitely needs a facelift though. For the money, I'd get a loaded Honda Pilot. Just my 2 cents.

sfca-325i
09-20-2004, 10:19 AM
For the money, I'd get a loaded Honda Pilot. Just my 2 cents.

I have both ... and I much prefer driving the X3.

:)

beware_phog
09-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Hey - check the interior specs on the X3 v X5 - in many case there is very little difference, and some cases the X3 is larger. But then again, space is sometimes in the eye's mind.

The X3 has more interior space. The X5 it a bit bigger on the outside and sits a few inches higher. The hood on the X5 is bigger (higher) as well.

LeucX3
09-20-2004, 02:22 PM
I've had two e46s and now this e83 and i'll tell ya what...i love the interior. It's German teutonic, plain and simple. It's what German cars in the 80s were lauded for. Different than e46s? Yes. Worse? Nope, it's not a Lexus...and that's a good thing.

MG67
09-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Hey - check the interior specs on the X3 v X5 - in many case there is very little difference, and some cases the X3 is larger. But then again, space is sometimes in the eye's mind. Yeah you are probably right, it's all in the eye's mind... It looks a little smaller then the X5, my wife said it looks the same as my Touring...:D

kurichan
09-20-2004, 03:35 PM

Do they really have to do that?! I would feel strange driving around with "Courtesy Car # 17" on my doors :eeps:This is actually more than advertising. It was confidentially explained to me that some drivers of very high end luxury cars are concerned about their image if seen in an X3 or a C230 loaner. The "Courtesy of XYZ BMW" also serves as an "it ain't mine" disclaimer. Sort of sad, but I guess some people are like that...

kurichan
09-20-2004, 03:38 PM
I have both ... and I much prefer driving the X3.

:)I "HAD" both. The Honda has more HP, more torque, gets better gas mileage and is much more utilitarian, especially with the third row and has much more room. The brakes are acceptable on the Honda, GREAT on the BMW. For $10K less, I'd take the Pilot any day. In fact, I DID! :thumbup:

ProcyonB
09-20-2004, 04:47 PM
I "HAD" both. The Honda has more HP, more torque, gets better gas mileage and is much more utilitarian, especially with the third row and has much more room. The brakes are acceptable on the Honda, GREAT on the BMW. For $10K less, I'd take the Pilot any day. In fact, I DID! :thumbup:

Interesting, because I currently have both a 2004 3.0 X3 and a 2004 Honda Pilot EX-L. They both get the same gas mileage (20 mpg average between mixed city/highway usage, and their horsepower/weight ratios are about the same -- but the X3 is very obviously a more "fun to drive" vehicle that without any question outperforms the Pilot in every measure of the word. The differences are so obvious that comparing the Pilot to the X3 on performance is like comparing a sports sedan to a truck.

However, the Pilot really outshines the X3 in plushness of ride and utilitarianism. The extra storage space, the third row of seating, the better ergomonics all demonstrate that the Japanese do know how to make a people-friendly vehicle better than anyone else.

As for what is better, well recently edmunds tied the X5 with the MDX noting that while the X5 outperformed the MDX, the MDX was more useful and about $10k cheaper. I guess comparing the X3 and the Pilot would give similar results -- depending on what you think is more important (usefulness, performance, price, et cetera) you will find one a superior vehicle to the other.

Personally I will be selling the Pilot when my '05 X3 3.0 gets back from my ED "test-drive." I will miss many of the aspects of the Pilot's ergonomics / interior design, and I will miss the $15k lower price tag (30k vs 45k), but obviously I will pay 50% more money for a SUV with better, more car-like, performance.

LeucX3
09-21-2004, 08:24 AM
This is actually more than advertising. It was confidentially explained to me that some drivers of very high end luxury cars are concerned about their image if seen in an X3 or a C230 loaner. The "Courtesy of XYZ BMW" also serves as an "it ain't mine" disclaimer. Sort of sad, but I guess some people are like that...
I dunno about that. BMW of SD has a Hertz do their loaner cars now, but for a while since United Auto also sells Toyotas just down the road, there were Corollas and Camrys and loaner cars. And there was a big ole 'Courtesy of BMW of SD' sticker on the back glass. I would much rather be in an X3 than a Toyota.

solsurfr
09-21-2004, 08:36 AM
I "HAD" both. The Honda has more HP, more torque, gets better gas mileage and is much more utilitarian, especially with the third row and has much more room. The brakes are acceptable on the Honda, GREAT on the BMW. For $10K less, I'd take the Pilot any day. In fact, I DID! :thumbup:
I agree. For the money, I'd rather get a loaded Pilot (navi, dvd, leather, etc..) over the X3. If I wanted a performance SUV, I'd probably get the MDX... more room, more luxury, etc.

...EDIT THAT.... MDX is basically the same as the Pilot, right? Oops.

xspeedy
09-21-2004, 09:23 AM

You could also have a Nissan Altima for over 10K less than your 330, and have more HP and more stuff.

sfca-325i
09-21-2004, 10:12 AM

Really depends on what you want out of your vehicle.

The X3 outshines the Pilot in the driving fun quotient. Panoramic moonroof (Pilot adding sunroof for 2005 model).

Pilot is the passenger hauler. Use it to transport six kids to soccer practice on Thursday. The DVD-RES keeps the kids quiet in the back while they watch Family Guy. The ride is better but the handling is average, at best. Don't believe that it's a truck alternative ... I was hauling bricks home from Home Depot and suspension just doesn't cut it for those types of activities (as compared to when I performed the same task with my Landcruiser).

My experience mirror ProcyonB. Performance is about the same (although the X3 clearly outperforms at WOT with higher top end). Gas mileage is about the same (although the Pilot runs on unleaded regular). I'd say the Pilot represents a better "value" but the X3 is unquestionably more fun. :thumbup:

LeucX3
09-21-2004, 10:33 AM
You could also have a Nissan Altima for over 10K less than your 330, and have more HP and more stuff.
For that matter, you could get a Hyundai Sonata and save another 5k and have a better bang for your buck. :rolleyes: :D

ProcyonB
09-21-2004, 10:41 AM
For that matter, you could get a Hyundai Sonata and save another 5k and have a better bang for your buck. :rolleyes: :D

Why not just get a good mountain bike. At $1500 he'd be saving nearly $43,000, he would have no insurance bill, and no gas bills -- and he'd be in better shape, to boot. :p

smokeminside
09-21-2004, 11:47 AM
take us to our logical conclusion: a rickshaw...stops on a dime, amazing turning radius, can carry as many kids as you can squeeze in, minimal pollution, stunning gas mileage, and gets you in shape...

harplayr
09-21-2004, 12:20 PM
take us to our logical conclusion: a rickshaw...stops on a dime, amazing turning radius, can carry as many kids as you can squeeze in, minimal pollution, stunning gas mileage, and gets you in shape...Pogo Stick! Gives you the ride height and visibility, easy to park. :rofl:

LeucX3
09-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Pogo Stick! Gives you the ride height and visibility, easy to park. :rofl:
Just walk everywhere. Great exercise, lower chance of getting hit by a car than a bike and you get to be in the great outdoors a lot.

nab777
10-18-2004, 10:42 AM
I get a whole lot more smiles and sirs in an X3. When I go through the valet, they don't take the X3 down to the lot, they leave it right there along the circle. Glancing at the lot, you see all the Toyotas and Hondas.

MPoWeRMAN
10-21-2004, 10:27 PM
how on earth can you compare a honda to a BMW, wow, honda builds good cars, much better than american cars, but you cant put honda anywhere near BMW in quality, performance, etc... yes the interior on the X3 leaves a lot to be desired, but it doesnt even need to defend itself against a honda

I also got an X3.0i loaner today when I dropped off my '04 325XI. It is definitely a nice car but really worlds away from anything that I'm use to on my E46. I wasn't really that impressed overall but it did handle relatively well for an SUV (or SAV). The interior definitely needs a facelift though. For the money, I'd get a loaded Honda Pilot. Just my 2 cents.

Ryouko
10-22-2004, 09:50 AM

For that matter, you could have an apple instead of an orange and still come out a winner. Its all about what you like personally, and if money isn't a matter, and you care about real performance over "I can get something similar for less", then good for you. :)

solsurfr
10-22-2004, 07:49 PM
how on earth can you compare a honda to a BMW, wow, honda builds good cars, much better than american cars, but you cant put honda anywhere near BMW in quality, performance, etc... yes the interior on the X3 leaves a lot to be desired, but it doesnt even need to defend itself against a honda
No offense to you, MPM. You are right about the quality, performance, etc. There is no comparison with any non-lux car but for me, and probably only me on this board, if I wanted to get a hi-performance vehicle, I wouldn't go for an any SUV, honda, bmw, included. For the money, I'm simply saying I'd get an SUV that offered more practicality for the price. If it's performance I want, then it's going to be a car and probably a 3-series :D .

es
10-25-2004, 08:06 AM
Is that some sort of update to the interior or something...?

They give you the headphones made in China.