PDA

View Full Version : X3 Sat Radio

eddy_merckxdomo
09-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Hi All:

I'm interested in getting a sat radio for my X3. Has anyone out there gone through this? If so, did you do it yourself or have the dealer do it?

Thanks.

Eric

moonlite
10-19-2004, 09:32 PM
I ordered the Sat radio prep, but I have not installed the radio. Anyone else get this feature?

Dr. Phil
10-20-2004, 05:57 AM
The Sirius tuners are on backorder at this moment :mad: I am slated to get the first one that my dealer gets, hopefully within a week or so. My prepaid subscription is just waiting to be retied to a tuner :cry:

Sonoman707
10-20-2004, 10:59 PM
if you want to go with XM and have the Satellite Radio Prep head unit...

You need the XM Direct + Blitzsafe Adapter available from www.myradio.com .

Installation:

Access back of radio (incredible easy) and swap out the white audio feed connectors (one is taped back on the cable bundle).

Go to the hatch, left side access and unwrapped the cable package. Connect the Blitzsafe to the cables and to the XM Unit.

Very nice option - If you do not want to use the included antenna and do want to use the built-in BMW antenna - shave the ridges of of the antenna connection on the XM unit. Locate the "blue" antenna connector in the BMW wire bundle and plug it in.

Enjoy XM..! :thumbup:

-T

xsoon
10-21-2004, 08:40 PM
if you want to go with XM and have the Satellite Radio Prep head

it...undefinedundefined

Installation:

Access back of radio (incredible easy) and swap out the white audio feed connectors (one is taped back on the cable bundle).

Go to the hatch, left side access and unwrapped the cable package. Connect the Blitzsafe to the cables and to the XM Unit.

Very nice option - If you do not want to use the included antenna and do want to use the built-in BMW antenna - shave the ridges of of the antenna connection on the XM unit. Locate the "blue" antenna connector in the BMW wire bundle and plug it in.

-T

? If '04 or '05 x3 does not list "SAT. Prep. $ 75." can I still add this XM unit and use via
steering wheel controls????

Thanks for reply..... Many x ers do not list this option included...

x3me
10-23-2004, 02:52 PM
? If '04 or '05 x3 does not list "SAT. Prep. $ 75." can I still add this XM unit and use via
steering wheel controls????

Thanks for reply..... Many x ers do not list this option included...

The Blitzsafe product WILL Allow you to use your steering wheel controls. I have heard reports of it being quirky at times, but basic functionality does exist. I am waiting for mine to arrive and will try the self install and go from there. I do not have the Sat. Prep on there, which I am pretty pissed that BMW charges for two additional wires when we paid this freakin' much for the truck. Pisses me off that a Chevy at $20,000 less have the tuner and more already installed!!!

pjo1966
10-25-2004, 09:19 AM
I have a question about where the info is displayed for Sirius. From what I have read, the display is on the Nav screen if that option is installed. If not it is on the small display on the actual radio. Is this correct? If so, it's a strong argument for getting the Nav.

*edit* same question for Bluetooth... is it displayed on the Nav screen?

pjo1966
10-25-2004, 10:26 PM
I have a question about where the info is displayed for Sirius. From what I have read, the display is on the Nav screen if that option is installed. If not it is on the small display on the actual radio. Is this correct? If so, it's a strong argument for getting the Nav.

*edit* same question for Bluetooth... is it displayed on the Nav screen?

In the spirit of answering my own questions, yes... the bluetooth and sirius info will come up on a nav screen if present. The next question is, is it possible to add an aftermarket screen just for the BT and sirius without the nav?

Dr. Phil
11-06-2004, 09:13 PM
In the spirit of answering my own questions, yes... the bluetooth and sirius info will come up on a nav screen if present. The next question is, is it possible to add an aftermarket screen just for the BT and sirius without the nav?
Anything is possible if you want to pay :eeps:

As for the original topic of this thread, I got my Sirius installed this week in my X3. My only dislike is you need to hit the "inf" (information) button 3 times to get all the data...channel, group, song title. You also need to reset the scroll feature at each engine start to see the entire song title. (there is a total limit of characters though) For the sake of time I had the dealer (in this case definitely stealer :rolleyes: ) do the install. 2.5 hour labor charge, pretty much killed my discount on the tuner.

Sound quality is exceptional and less blips then with my aftermarket tuner :thumbup:

mguhler
11-20-2004, 07:08 AM
I waited for the backordered receiver and I was glad I did. Sirius is by far the better provider. I had XM in my old 318 and the programming wasn't as good as Sirius is. Plus with Sirius you can sign up for a longer term, rather than month by month bills.
I installed the receiver (took about 45 minutes once I figured it out) and within 10 minutes, I had activation complete. Great Customer Service!

Stevies3
11-21-2004, 10:16 PM
if you want to go with XM and have the Satellite Radio Prep head unit...

Installation:

Swap out with what cable??

Where is the antenna on an X3 located?

-T

Thanx

TVV 330i
11-29-2004, 07:12 PM
XM is billing me quarterly. And you don't have to sign for a committed period of time. XM will likely be the only provider in time... look at the stock prices of each company.

pjo1966
11-30-2004, 08:01 AM
XM will likely be the only provider in time... look at the stock prices of each company.

I think you underestimate the power of Howard Stern. I personally don't listen to him anymore, but he has a HUGE following, and the fact that he will be uncensored will be a large draw. He held a rally in NYC a couple weeks ago handing out free Sirius receivers. I think you may see a migration once he hits the airwaves. I know of several people who currently have XM who will switch over once he starts, if not sooner.

YMMV

MatriX5
11-30-2004, 11:31 AM
XM is billing me quarterly. And you don't have to sign for a committed period of time. XM will likely be the only provider in time... look at the stock prices of each company.

Not trying to arm wrestle, but stock price isn't necessarily the best way to determine a company's value. It all depends on the company's value relative to the number of shares it has on the market. Sirius has gone from around $2 a share to over $6 per share in the last few weeks. Pretty good imo. They also signed Stern to a multi year deal.

I have XM, btw, because I also thought they would wind up being the only provider. Sirius seems to be growing quite a bit lately. Sat radio could be similar DTV and Dish pretty soon. Will stay tuned...