PDA

View Full Version : tree sap removal help

photo2000a
09-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Seems my car got covered with pin dot sized /spray of sap. (all of it )

I tried to remove most of it using either Meguiurs 1 or 2 , which took all the 'surface' stuff off did a pretty good job.--

but if I look at a angle now, i can still see dot like 'stains' .

Anyone have an idea about some kind of really good /professional way to remove it, perhaps recomend a good product.

:mad:

any help appreciated

BahnBaum
09-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Seems my car got covered with pin dot sized /spray of sap. (all of it )

I tried to remove most of it using either Meguiurs 1 or 2 , which took all the 'surface' stuff off did a pretty good job.--

Anyone have an idea about some kind of really good /professional way to remove it, perhaps recomend a good product.

any help appreciated

Clay.

Alex

DDB
09-27-2004, 07:37 AM

Einszett Acrysol. Works great, doesn't contain any mechanical abrasives that can harm paint. Will certainly remove wax, so you'll want to re-wax the affected area after removal.

I order my Einszett stuff from www.DetailersParadise.com.

~ DDB

RacerX1166
09-28-2004, 07:25 PM
I second the clay suggestion.

mwette
09-28-2004, 07:54 PM
I'd try clay and/or "3M Adhesive, Tar and Wax Remover" (Pep Boys).

AF
10-03-2004, 09:57 AM
rubbing alcohol takes it right off and it doesn't hurt the paint ... just apply wax afterwards

photo2000a
10-03-2004, 01:51 PM
A big thanks to all those that replyed

seems by far the best remover was meguires #1 , alchol did nothing clay nothing nor anythng elese

after removing the spots I am left with what looks like below the surface"" for lack of a better term, spots.

I tried the 3m rubbing compound seemed to make it 'perhaps a bit less visible, but those stains are still there

anyone know of something perhas more stronger ie professional could be that some of it may be above or near the surface and perhaps not really stained if i could find the right stuff. if it is below the surface i wonder if finasse or that rubbing comp w/a machine would help

any clues as to what the real pro's would do??

TOGWT
10-04-2004, 05:05 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

Below surface 'spots' are caused by acid rain, industrial fallout, tree resin (sap) or bird excrement, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark. These can usually be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits, and then using a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) and then use a machine polish to level the surface (Iz Einzett TM Metallic Polish or Iz Einzett TM Paint Polish) and reapply surface protection once spots have been removed.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

AF
10-04-2004, 06:03 AM
seems by far the best remover was meguires #1 , alchol did nothing clay nothing nor anythng elese

Just curious ... you did use rubbing alcohol right ?

Because I once parked under a tree and sap got all over my car, wax did nothing to get it off but rubbing alcohol worked beautifully and quickly ... I am surprised to hear it didn't work ...

photo2000a
10-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Just curious ... you did use rubbing alcohol right ?

Because I once parked under a tree and sap got all over my car, wax did nothing to get it off but rubbing alcohol worked beautifully and quickly ... I am surprised to hear it didn't work ...

I am kinda surprized that anyone here had luck w/alcohol, i had some of the car that i hadn't touched yet, and the alcohol did nothing at all the clay wasn't too good either

what seemed to work best and easiest by far!! was meguires #1 it took all off but left me w/stains, i also tried 3m detail mist same results so it wasn't a product thing :cry:

I tried most all of the above, to no avail, back to my original question

I need to know some professional chemical that will remove stains caused by sap.

this stuff i guess must be below the surface, or stuck on the top at a microscopic level, it sure feels glass smooth . but if you look at it at at a noise to car angle you will see millions of those spots that stained the entire car mostly

so since all the above failed, (i didn't try a machine) but wish to see if some 'industrial/pro' fluids might take it off

I want to avoid harsh polish abrasives for last choice and hoping something will work, i can't afford to repaint a car w/3000 miles on

BahnBaum
10-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Below surface 'spots' are caused by acid rain, industrial fallout, tree resin (sap) or bird excrement, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark. These can usually be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits, and then using a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) and then use a machine polish to level the surface (Iz Einzett TM Metallic Polish or Iz Einzett TM Paint Polish) and reapply surface protection once spots have been removed.

I really agree that this is the way to go, but you gotta do it all.

Alex

TOGWT
10-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Quote: I need to know some professional chemical that will remove stains caused by sap.

Most any solvent chemical type cleaner will remove it (Turpentine is made from tree resins, in severe cases it can be used to break down the resin in tree sap, use as a last resort only and use sparingly and do not rub hard and give it some time to work.)

~Hope this helps~

photo2000a
10-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Quote: I need to know some professional chemical that will remove stains caused by sap.

Most any solvent chemical type cleaner will remove it (Turpentine is made from tree resins, in severe cases it can be used to break down the resin in tree sap, use as a last resort only and use sparingly and do not rub hard and give it some time to work.)

~Hope this helps~

wont turpentine remove paint?? :yikes:

vern
10-11-2004, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=photo2000a]Seems my car got covered with pin dot sized /spray of sap. (all of it )

any help appreciated[/QUOTE
I had quite a few coats of P21S wax on my car when it got covered with tree sap and all I used to remove it was Turtle Wax Car Wash and everthing was fine,it removed the tree sap and left the P21S.
Good luck

TOGWT
10-12-2004, 10:28 AM
Quote: wont turpentine remove paint??

Not if you use it to remove ‘spots’, if you use enough of any type of solvent aggressively it will remove paint, hence the note ………use as a last resort only and use sparingly and do not rub hard and give it some time to work.)

~Hope this helps~

photo2000a
10-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Quote: wont turpentine remove paint??

Not if you use it to remove ‘spots’, if you use enough of any type of solvent aggressively it will remove paint, hence the note ………use as a last resort only and use sparingly and do not rub hard and give it some time to work.)

~Hope this helps~

yeah well my entire car is covered w/it so i am leary of turpentine, but i will try as someone suggested to use some other kind of solvent as soon as i can find a good brand and a place that sells it, most of the local auto stores seem to just sell the usual stuff

but appreciate all those that responded it's really frustrating that it happened to my new car worse it was cause bmw shop parked it under a tree when i brought it in for service :mad:

BahnBaum
10-15-2004, 02:44 PM
it's really frustrating that it happened to my new car worse it was cause bmw shop parked it under a tree when i brought it in for service :mad:

WHAT?!?

Why didn't you mention that in the first place?

Why in the world did you ever leave the dealership without them addressing it to your complete satisfaction???

Alex

wavewuver
10-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Try gasoline.......sparingly on a clean towel. I use it all the time and have never had any noticeable negative effects. I use it for tar removal too.....

Just clean and rewax the area afterward.