PDA

View Full Version : Lexol makes my leather smell bad.

Dave 330i
09-27-2004, 05:23 AM
This overly glorified expensive product outgasses and irritates my smell buds to the point where I feel like puking. It is definitely outlawed from future consideration. :p

JetBlack330i
09-27-2004, 05:40 AM
maybe it releases gases already trapped in the leather... :p

Desertnate
09-27-2004, 06:20 AM
Did you use too much?

I've used it on our Toyota Sequoia, which has acres of leather, with no odor at all and no out gassing. It cleaned the leather nicely, so I know I used enough for it to work. :dunno:

Artslinger
09-27-2004, 07:09 AM
I use it sparingly with a damp cloth... a little goes a long ways. It isn't that expensive compared to other leather care products, and doesn't stink that bad give it a day or two.

Mr. The Edge
09-27-2004, 08:10 AM
am I the only one that gets Dave 330i's posts confused with jetblack330i's sometimes?

:eek:

JetBlack330i
09-27-2004, 10:45 AM
am I the only one that gets Dave 330i's posts confused with jetblack330i's sometimes?

:eek:
That's because you aim to read *all* posts and don't spend quality time with any. :rofl:
There is a markedly evident distinction in content. :bigpimp:

Oh, if you're refering to the sig, my jetblack is blacker and bigger than that new Houston suburban transplant, as frog would put it.. :p

F1Crazy
09-27-2004, 09:47 PM
I gave up on Lexol conditioner long time ago, it not only smells bad compared to other products but it also makes leather a little sticky (I use it sparingly). Their Vinylex is waaaay too shiny for me, the only product worth buying is their pH balanced cleaner, although I get as good if not better results with Woolite diluted 1:10.

Try Zaino Z10 leather conditioner, many people tell me they love the smell of new leather in my car every time I use it. Or better yet, forget leather conditioners altogether and stick with 303 Aerospace Protectant on all vinyl and leather interior parts.

cantona7
09-28-2004, 10:37 AM
I use Pinnacle on my leather and it smells great. I've stayed away from Lexol because of all the reports about bad smells and the undesirable finish.

cruztopless
09-28-2004, 07:10 PM
I use Griot's which smells ok and dissipates after a day. My only complaint is it leaves the leather very grippy ... which is great for track/autox days :D . I follow that up with 303.

TOGWT
10-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Quote: Try Zaino Z10 leather conditioner, many people tell me they love the smell of new leather in my car every time I use it. Or better yet, forget leather conditioners altogether and stick with 303 Aerospace Protectant on all vinyl and leather interior parts.

~One mans opinion / observations~

I’m not keen on Lexol due to its high solvent content and the smell (not sure if it’s the ‘out gassing’ of the urethane covering the leather or what it is?

Leather cleaning / conditioning is a three-step process, comprising-

Cleaning (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) Conditioning( Zanio Z10 Leather in a Bottle) and Ultra Violet Radiation protection (303™ Aerospace Protectant).

If you do not apply conditioner to a leather surface it will dry out, become brittle and crack, 303 will provide UVR protection but it will not condition leather

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon