PDA

View Full Version : Best exterior plastic trim restorative (not cover-up)?

Terry Kennedy
09-28-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm looking for something I can use to correct some sun fade and dirt / wax contamination on my exterior black plastic trim. This is on a 2-year-old 325 wagon. I've tried scrubbing, I've tried various sponges (the green dishwashing sponge, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and so on) and I haven't had good results, particularly on the textured plastic used along the door panels. The matte plastic below the rear hatch cleans up Ok, but not the textured plastic.

I'd prefer something that will clean the wax / gunk off the trim, rather than something that will "paint it black".

Any suggestions?

Alex Baumann
09-28-2004, 05:31 PM
On textured plastic, I found that a toothbrush is much more effective than a sponge.

RacerX1166
09-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Not sure why dying is not an option for you but, believe it or not, peanut butter works wonders to bring a plastic (porous) finish back and remove wax.

On my B pillar, I typically use Aerospace 303, which works well for me.

alee
09-28-2004, 07:30 PM
I have heard decent things about Forever Black (http://www.topoftheline.com/forblactrimr.html).

BahnBaum
09-28-2004, 07:44 PM
I have heard decent things about Forever Black (http://www.topoftheline.com/forblactrimr.html).

I just used it on my e30 and it works great. But I think Terry wanted to avoid a paint type coverup....

Alex

Bobby 325i
09-28-2004, 07:58 PM
I have had pretty good results using STONER'S TRIM SHINE. Just spray it on a microfiber towel and rub into the trim. Then buff off with another towel and it looks as good as new. Lasts a pretty long time too.

Hope this helps,
Bobby

Kaz
09-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Mine doesn't grey very much at all (possibly because I use Klasse and not carnauba that can get on the plastic) but I clean mine with my favorite AutoGlym #5 and pretty much leave it alone, though I've used Mother's Back to Black on some areas. I may try some of the new Wurth spray stuff I got recently.

Elwood
09-29-2004, 06:07 AM
Not sure why dying is not an option for you but, believe it or not, peanut butter works wonders to bring a plastic (porous) finish back and remove wax.

On my B pillar, I typically use Aerospace 303, which works well for me.
I've tried the peanut butter trick, and that's what it is, a trick. All your doing is leaving behind some oils that'll eventually wash away.

I have tried the "magic eraser" on my rear bumper trim and it worked perfectly. :dunno:

Artslinger
09-29-2004, 06:50 AM
I've tried the peanut butter trick, and that's what it is, a trick. All your doing is leaving behind some oils that'll eventually wash away.

I have tried the "magic eraser" on my rear bumper trim and it worked perfectly. :dunno:

Hey thats a good idea, I will try that this weekend. I'm doing my annual major fall detailing.

///MDex
09-29-2004, 07:25 AM
I have had pretty good results using STONER'S TRIM SHINE. Just spray it on a microfiber towel and rub into the trim. Then buff off with another towel and it looks as good as new. Lasts a pretty long time too.As excellent at their other products are, I think I might give this a try. Looks like you can purchase a case for not much ~$35 (2.75 /ea vs. 5+ individ). That's a lot of trim http://images.bimmerforums.com/smilies/devillook.gif

gojira-san
09-29-2004, 07:42 AM
I have had pretty good results using STONER'S TRIM SHINE. Just spray it on a microfiber towel and rub into the trim.
I use Trim Shine on my Avalanche all the time since the removeable panels on the bed are prone to fading/whitening. Works well, especially for the price!

bol
09-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Meguiars #40 vinyl and rubber cleaner/conditioner is great for all plastic/vinyl/rubber surfaces. I don't use anything else now.