PDA

View Full Version : Moisture "stain" on paint

elfhearse
09-30-2004, 07:19 AM
Local (BMW) bodyshop left a plastic sheet fall off the convertible top and it was laying on my trunk and fenders overnight during a rainstorm.
The paint now has what I would call "moisture stains" on the paint where the wet plastic was in contact with the paint for 24-48 hours.

I've tried Mothers Pre-wax cleaner which is like a very light compound. It reduced the stain somewhat but it's still there. I plan on getting a 3M compound product next THEN take it back to the body shop to b*tch, but I'd rather fix it myself instead of risking further mis-handlling.
Suggestions?

Artslinger
09-30-2004, 07:51 AM
I would stay away from the high cutting of a compound and try using a finer cut polish or even a paintwork cleanser like P21S first.

elfhearse
09-30-2004, 09:44 AM
I checked a few online sites...one suggests vinegar and water first, then light compound.
This is very visible under the florescent lights in my garage but when I stopped by the bodyshop at lunch (overcast sky) WE couldn't see anything. It's also possible that some of the moisture is "released" from the paint pores over a few days and it diminishes on its own. (at least it's wishful thinking)

Central
10-04-2004, 10:40 AM
If you use 50/50 vinegar/water be sure to apply wax after, it strips the calcium/water stain as well as all wax it touches. Are they stains like that of hard water spots? gl

I checked a few online sites...one suggests vinegar and water first, then light compound.
This is very visible under the florescent lights in my garage but when I stopped by the bodyshop at lunch (overcast sky) WE couldn't see anything. It's also possible that some of the moisture is "released" from the paint pores over a few days and it diminishes on its own. (at least it's wishful thinking)