PDA

View Full Version : X3 interior looks

euro-d
09-30-2004, 01:23 PM
There are plenty of complaints about the cheap-looking interior. Maybe they'll do something about it when they update the vehicle in 2006 or 2007, but in the meantime what looks best now?
I don't plan to get leather, so I want to make the best of the non-leather interior.

What looks the most upscale or the "hottest" on an X3 with black or white exterior?

Grey interior with standard trim?
Beige with medium wood trim?
Black with aluminum trim?

Are there high quality interior pix available somehere that are better and higher resolution than what's on the BMW website?

LeucX3
09-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Here's not a very good pic of the interior of mine. I have gray leather.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29788

Quality complaints about the interior materials are overblown. The more time you spend in one, the more you'll realize how good it really is.

andy_thomas
09-30-2004, 02:46 PM
Here's not a very good pic of the interior of mine. I have gray leather.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29788

Quality complaints about the interior materials are overblown. The more time you spend in one, the more you'll realize how good it really is.

Perhaps, but that climate control moulding has a whiff of late '90s Chevy Cavalier about it. I sat in a cloth-lined X3 2.5 at a dealer not long ago - and some things really grated (the climate control panel and door lock plungers I picked up on). With a stripped-out X3 2.5 costing 28k, an interior that appears to have less innate quality than a base-model 15k 316ti isn't really acceptable.

sithjedi333
09-30-2004, 03:25 PM
I would go for black. Unfortunately beige plastic looks aweful. Grey is somewhere in between.

sfca-325i
09-30-2004, 04:00 PM
I think its amusing how opinions are expressed re "cheap looking plastic" versus "rich looking plastic". People, it's all plastic no matter what adjectives you attach to it. How many cars on the road don't use plastic extensively on the dash / console / doors? As far as plastic dashboards go, I think it's okay - but I'm going to get a dashmat and cover it anyway. ;-)

Personally, I would recommend the black interior with aluminum trim.

In a SAV with limited luxury pretenses, I think the wood trim is misplaced (even though I have wood trim in my X3).

euro-d
09-30-2004, 04:06 PM
I think its amusing how opinions are expressed re "cheap looking plastic" versus "rich looking plastic". People, it's all plastic no matter what adjectives you attach to it. How many cars on the road don't use plastic extensively on the dash / console / doors? As far as plastic dashboards go, I think it's okay - but I'm going to get a dashmat and cover it anyway. ;-)

Personally, I would recommend the black interior with aluminum trim.

In a SAV with limited luxury pretenses, I think the wood trim is misplaced (even though I have wood trim in my X3).

What about black plus "standard" trim? I hate to pay $500 for useless trim unless it makes a massive improvement in the appearance.

X5M5
09-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Black plus black trim looks terrible. I saw a X3 setup this way at the dealer and it was the most gloomy looking interior I've ever seen.

Get wood trim in the X3, thats the least you can do to try and make it look decent.

The newer X3s (05s?) are coming with chrome door handles, try and see if you can get those added in. I think that will enhance the appearance a bit.

And yes, plastic may be plastic, but different kinds of plastic make a huge difference to the eye.

euro-d
09-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Black plus black trim looks terrible. I saw a X3 setup this way at the dealer and it was the most gloomy looking interior I've ever seen.

Get wood trim in the X3, thats the least you can do to try and make it look decent.

The newer X3s (05s?) are coming with chrome door handles, try and see if you can get those added in. I think that will enhance the appearance a bit.

And yes, plastic may be plastic, but different kinds of plastic make a huge difference to the eye.

I thought the standard trim was some kind of silvery plastic made to look like titanium?
It would be an '05 I'd be getting anyway.

SARAFIL
09-30-2004, 06:17 PM
There are plenty of complaints about the cheap-looking interior. Maybe they'll do something about it when they update the vehicle in 2006 or 2007, but in the meantime what looks best now?
I don't plan to get leather, so I want to make the best of the non-leather interior.

What looks the most upscale or the "hottest" on an X3 with black or white exterior?

Are there high quality interior pix available somehere that are better and higher resolution than what's on the BMW website?

For the "non-leather" interior, you can only get black or sand (no grey).

Be sure that you see and touch the material before you buy one. I'll admit that I'm not a leatherette fan in general, but the stuff that comes in the 3/5/X5 isn't that bad. The stuff in the X3 is nasty-- it's like a mix of leatherette and nylon. I can't stand sitting in one of these cars with a Sensatec interior.

Want a nice interior? They really all look fine-- Sand with dark or light wood, and black with aluminum or light wood offer nice contrast and look great. Black with dark wood is also nice, but a bit dark.

petsounds
09-30-2004, 08:56 PM
We have the gray w/aluminum trim in our Bluewater X3. What we noticed is that no matter what the interior color (including sand) the top of the dash, carpeting and bottom door trim and map pocket netting are all Dark Gray. We prefferd the light gray/dark gray contrast over the contrast of any other color/dark gray.

You might want to do a new car X3 search on autobase.com . All of the vehicles posted there include 3 to 4 photos from the dealer. Not the greatest resolution but at least you will get an idea of color and trim combinations.

mrbelk
10-01-2004, 05:50 AM

FWIW, BMW listened to the complaints about the interior materials and have improved upon them a great deal in the MY2005 X3. Look in the Ask-A-Dealer forum at the X3 pricing thread and read the bimmerfestX3info.pdf. You will see what I mean.

For example, the plastic trim around the "center stack" (the AC and radio and NAV/storage cubby) is being changed to a "soft touch" plastic material similar to the E46 3er. That alone is a huge improvement. Also, the door-panel armrests with a sensatec interior will now not be the nasty vinyl fabric but rather the textured "leatherette" material that's in the center of the seat.

-MrB

ProcyonB
10-01-2004, 08:47 AM
I really like the grey/2-tone interior with aluminum. :dunno:

SARAFIL
10-01-2004, 10:29 AM
I really like the grey/2-tone interior with aluminum. :dunno:

The original poster does not want to get leather, so grey is out of the question.

beware_phog
10-01-2004, 06:49 PM

Get leather and go all black with the dark wood. I have attached some pictures and think the interior of mine looks great. The black/grey fits just right.