PDA

View Full Version : x3 Gas mileage

ProcyonB
10-01-2004, 06:45 PM
I've been tracking gas mileage for my X3 (3.0) with automatic. The last 1955 miles, 1403 of them city driving, I have an average of 21.7 mpg as of right now. I have read some peoples comments that the X3 doesn't get good mpg, but I think it is definitely a matter of how you drive.

LeucX3
10-03-2004, 08:41 AM
I do mostly city driving now and i'm getting anywhere in between 18-19 mpg. But then again, i redline a lot.

newdad
10-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Guys, this is sad, OUR board was hijacked and now we're 'sub-ed'...

BTW, 850+ miles into my 3.0 Auto I'm still getting ~16.

haigha
10-04-2004, 08:59 AM

BTW, 850+ miles into my 3.0 Auto I'm still getting ~16.
IMO, it's actually better to have the sub forum. If you subscribe to this forum in your User CP you don't have to see the X-series forum. However, if you subscribe to the X-series forum the X3 forum is at the top of the page every time.

LeucX3
10-04-2004, 09:38 AM

There are a lot of things going on here that doesn't make sense.

pjo1966
10-04-2004, 11:06 AM
For those who post their mileage, could you also include what city you live in? City driving is different from one city to the next. Personally, I'm interested in hearing from people driving a 3.0 with automatic around Los Angeles.

sfca-325i
10-04-2004, 12:07 PM
San Francisco
100% city driving ... 11 to 12 mpg.

pjo1966
10-04-2004, 12:13 PM
San Francisco
100% city driving ... 11 to 12 mpg.

yikes... I thought the 13.5 MPG on my FX was bad.

ssmv650
10-04-2004, 05:37 PM
I must have a light foot

ssmv650

sfca-325i
10-05-2004, 09:50 AM
I probably should have also posted that average mph is also less than 15 mph. That gives you an idea of how much stop and go is included in our city driving. With max speed usually 35 mph, we spend a lot of time stopped and accelerating. That really eats into the mpg figure.

pjo1966
10-05-2004, 10:03 AM
The X3 is at the top of my short list of cars I'm interested in. I guess the mileage is the one thing I'm most concerned about. That's one of the biggest issues I have with my FX. Maybe I should rent one for a weekend to see how it does. Do any car rental places rent BMW's?

Also on the list is the Prius (providing I could get one). Of course it doesn't have the performance or polish of a BMW, but the mileage certainly is attractive.

bluegarvis
10-08-2004, 01:13 PM
pjo1966...

My wife drives about 50 miles a day in her X3 2.5... a mix of 30% highway and 70% stop and go...
She is getting around 21 MPG... we have not driven for extended highway trips yet but I suspect we would be gettting 23-24 averaging ~70 miles per hour...

Quite the polar opposites between the Prius and the X3... different horses for very different courses... I am not sure how you could compare them. If gas mileage is that important to you, then the Toyota is the way to go (but loook at the CIVIC hybrid as well)... If all around drivability, go anywhere, anytime with style is what you are looking for then the X3 is it...

just my $0.02 :rolleyes:

pjo1966
10-08-2004, 01:27 PM
pjo1966...

My wife drives about 50 miles a day in her X3 2.5... a mix of 30% highway and 70% stop and go...
She is getting around 21 MPG... we have not driven for extended highway trips yet but I suspect we would be gettting 23-24 averaging ~70 miles per hour...

Quite the polar opposites between the Prius and the X3... different horses for very different courses... I am not sure how you could compare them. If gas mileage is that important to you, then the Toyota is the way to go (but loook at the CIVIC hybrid as well)... If all around drivability, go anywhere, anytime with style is what you are looking for then the X3 is it...

just my $0.02 :rolleyes:

... that is my dielmma in a nutshell. Adding to my conclusion is that there are two or three other cars in the running... each with something different to bring to the table. At the moment, the two frontrunners are the Prius and the X3.

Each car offers something different. I love the look and ride of the X3. I also love the idea of free scheduled maintenance. I'm anxious to see a 2005 because I've heard they've upgraded the dash material... it does seem a bit cheap for a BMW as it currently is in the 2004's. I also love the look of the Prius, in a different way. I also have minor issues with the interior of that as well. When I was at the auto show, the clamshell glovebox was broken and wouldn't close. When I went to test drive one, the only one available for test drive had the same issue. The Prius does have the added bonus of the mileage plus all the gizmos for a technogeek such as myself. Mileage is a big issue for me because my current vehicle averages anywhere from 13.5 to 15 MPG. The X3 wouldn't get much better. The bonus there is that my payments would be about $200/mo less than I am paying now. I'd be able to afford the gas.

Both cars are fun to drive. i'd probably be happy with either. I go back and forth daily between the two. yesterday the Prius was in the number 1 spot... today it's the X3. What I really need to do is rent each of them so that I can do an extended test drive.

anyone know where I can rent an X3 w/ the Sport package?

My last purchase was an impulse buy... now I've gone completely the other direction and am researching like crazy. I don't want to make another mistake.

LeucX3
10-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Also on the list is the Prius (providing I could get one). Of course it doesn't have the performance or polish of a BMW, but the mileage certainly is attractive.
There have been some articles floating around the internet about how some Prius owners are upset that their mileage isn't what they thought it would be...more like high 20s/low 30s as opposed to high 40s/low 50s...or whatever the EPA rating is.

pjo1966
10-08-2004, 01:32 PM
There have been some articles floating around the internet about how some Prius owners are upset that their mileage isn't what they thought it would be...more like high 20s/low 30s as opposed to high 40s/low 50s...or whatever the EPA rating is.

According to most posters at priuschat.com, the mileage meets or even exceeds their expectations. You may have to change the way you drive a little (don't floor it coming out of a red light, etc...) but they are performing as advertised. I've been researching the Prius for about a year.

Whichever car I get, I'm going to know all the pros and cons before going in. There will be no more "OOOhhhh... look at the pretty red Infiniti FX35 out in front of that dealer! I must have it! 5 year lease at $586/mo? Sure, no problem."

I've learned that lesson.

b-y
10-08-2004, 03:38 PM
We have one of each. The 2002 Prius has been completely reliable and gets 42 mpg, mostly on the freeway. (Freeway mileage is often lower than city mileage for hybrids.) The major problems with the Prius are:
- handling and ride are not up to European standards, especially
with the factory reinforced tires
- seats aren't up to BMW or Mercedes standard in comfort
- the radio volume is not self-adjusting.
I know the last one seems trivial, but the car is very quiet with the gasoline engine off at rest and there is road and engine noise at freeway speeds so it seems as though you are constantly having to adjust the volume. We have a MY2005 Prius on order. From the test drive it seems as though the ride and handling may be improved, and there are larger standard wheels. The Prius has been completely trouble free; we have just used the last of the free maintenance. We did change the oil twice as frequently as recommended, paying about $30 each time.

We have only had the X3 for two months. In many ways, they make a nice pair.

pjo1966
10-08-2004, 04:29 PM
We have one of each. The 2002 Prius has been completely reliable and gets 42 mpg, mostly on the freeway. (Freeway mileage is often lower than city mileage for hybrids.) The major problems with the Prius are:
- handling and ride are not up to European standards, especially
with the factory reinforced tires
- seats aren't up to BMW or Mercedes standard in comfort
- the radio volume is not self-adjusting.
I know the last one seems trivial, but the car is very quiet with the gasoline engine off at rest and there is road and engine noise at freeway speeds so it seems as though you are constantly having to adjust the volume. We have a MY2005 Prius on order. From the test drive it seems as though the ride and handling may be improved, and there are larger standard wheels. The Prius has been completely trouble free; we have just used the last of the free maintenance. We did change the oil twice as frequently as recommended, paying about $30 each time.

We have only had the X3 for two months. In many ways, they make a nice pair.

Thanks so much for your input. It really helps a lot hearing from someone who actually has both. You listed the Pros and Cons for the Prius... how about the X3? I know you haven't had it that long, but what are your impressions so far?

ProcyonB
10-08-2004, 09:33 PM
For those who post their mileage, could you also include what city you live in? City driving is different from one city to the next. Personally, I'm interested in hearing from people driving a 3.0 with automatic around Los Angeles.

Flagstaff, AZ. Mountain town, 7000-9000 ft altitude. VWs suck wind at this elevation, but no problems with the bimmer.

b-y
10-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Of course, they are very different. As I said, I think they make a good pair. I live in the hills and have a 2 mile commute to my office. So far, I have averaged about 15 mpg. I just got back from a mostly (but with a back-up in SF) freeway 100+ mile roundtrip and averaged about 19 mpg. This is with a 2.5, which I think should theoretically get lower mileage than the 3.0. (Same weight, but one needs to use a heavier foot to go as quickly.) I also have an old roadster, so I didn't need a sports car.

The X3 is about 2 months old and lots of fun. One reason I got it was I hope to reduce the need for chains in the Sierras on ski trips. My last two cars were small Mercedes, and I'm tired of needing chains for a rear-wheel drive car, even in the lightest snow. I like well equipped, good handling small-to-mid-size vehicles. This is all subjective and personal, but I think the 3-series cabin is cramped and MBZ quality has dropped. (The C-class was significantly less reliable than the 190E it replaced.) Most other SUVs I drove seemed too big, and the Ford Escape and Honda CRV had poor seats and handling. We saw the X3 in Germany and were impressed. I test drove two X3s here, with and without the SP, and decided that without would be better for our poor condition local streets and a 4000 lb vehicle. The dealer found an X3 for me at the Oxnard prep center with everything I wanted except the winter package, so I took it. On Thursday I took it in to service for the first time to have the alarm activated after I installed it. So far I like the dealer's sales and service, but then again I also liked the local MBZ dealer and the Prius dealer.

[X3 2.5, PP, leather, xenon, nav, privacy]

sfca-325i
10-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Thought I'd throw this information into the mix:

2003 Toyota Matrix XR with cold air intake and auto trans. EPA City: 27. Our city mpg: 21.

2003 Honda Pilot EXL-RES (auto of course). EPA City: 17. Our city mpg: 12.

2004 X3 3.0 with step. EPA City: 16. Our city mpg: 11.

2003 325i with step (traded in for X3). EPA City: 20. Our city mpg: 13.

1996 Toyota Landcruiser (traded in for Honda Pilot). EPA City: don't recall. Our city mpg: 9.

ProcyonB
10-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Did a lot of driving this weekend, and used the reset function and monitored gas (fill-up to fill-up) and mileage:

Flagstaff to S. Scottsdale, 147 miles freeway (I-17, 80mph cruise-control), 25 miles city: 23.8 mpg

Scottsdale to Kingman, 162 miles freeway (H93, 105-110 mph my-foot): 25.2 mpg

Kingman to Flagstaff, 141 miles freeway (I-40, 80 mph cruise-control): 22.9 mpg

Which raises an interesting question; since I have been driving the X3, I have noticed that gas mileage is much better at extra-legal speeds than it is at legal speeds -- doesn't that seem odd? Also, I alway get a 10-15% (or more) "bonus" to fuel efficiency when I do not use cruise control. Weird. :dunno: But I see it city and freeway.

kyfdx
10-11-2004, 12:27 PM
I probably should have also posted that average mph is also less than 15 mph. That gives you an idea of how much stop and go is included in our city driving. With max speed usually 35 mph, we spend a lot of time stopped and accelerating. That really eats into the mpg figure.

Seriously? I would walk...

newdad
10-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Scottsdale to Kingman, 162 miles freeway (H93, 105-110 mph my-foot): 25.2 mpg

those are autoban (or close to) speeds.... i've got to do H93 one day, wherever that is. :cry:

ProcyonB
10-11-2004, 06:34 PM
those are autoban (or close to) speeds.... i've got to do H93 one day, wherever that is. :cry:

Phoenix to Kingman, Arizona ... it is actually H60 which merges into H93. 93 is a very pretty, very fun highway to drive that serves as a link to help people get from Phoenix to Las Vegas. The "whoop-de-doos" in one section of the highway serve up some nice negative G's at those speeds. :bigpimp:

Arizona spends some serious money landscaping the roadside and keeping the road itself glass-smooth. :dunno: why, but I enjoy it.