PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try this with the navigation CDs?

alee
12-20-2001, 11:22 AM
I have a Map 6 (Northeast) and a Map 7 (Southeast) CD. Both are readable in my CD ROM drive.

Anyone try to merge 2 nav CDs into 1 CD? Navtech Map 7 is only about 280mb full, and Map 6 is around 300mb IIRC.

Seems that there should be a way to put the 2 CDs together.

-Al

The HACK
12-20-2001, 11:26 AM
If all the map information are contained in a database (which most like it will be) then those two database will have to be merged.

I doubt we can just write two sessions and have the Nav CD -rom be able to recognize both sessions. If SOMEHOW we can figure out how the database is written and if it's not protected we MIGHT be able to merge them?

Otherwise, sol I'm afraid.

jw
12-21-2001, 09:12 AM
I don't believe you can do this. Especially, since we don't have the db format. I've been to Navtech a few times on sales calls about migrating some of their SDAL system to a more web centric architecture. This would be an EJB application that would have to interact with the SDAL system (C++ and COBOL and very proprietary). In addition, sucking in external data at the EJB layer to get POI information. Talk about a screwed up architecture!

In theory, it sounds like an easy enough thing to do by merging discs.

Hopefully, by 2003/4 when I get my next ride, they will have upgraded to a DVD based system.