PDA

View Full Version : Not a flame....Any common problems with X3?

Kewl X5
10-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Parents just got a X3 and they are loving it. Just want to know if there are any common problems to look out for..... :dunno:

sfca-325i
10-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Parents just got a X3 and they are loving it. Just want to know if there are any common problems to look out for..... :dunno:

Door seal creak (Carbaflo application solved this for me)
Gurgling water from the moonroof drain tubes (so I've heard).
Inconsistent car/key programming options. Supposedly, visual arming sans alarm can be enabled. This has been a YMMV proposition.
Rechargeable flashlight in the glove box (not included in earlier production)
Wind noise from the moonroof (I haven't experienced this)
Buffeting / percussive sound when driving at high speeds with the moonroof open (common with SAV/SUV vehicle IMO).
Wind noise from windshield circa 80 mph (reported by European counterparts who can legally achieve these speeds).

The door seal creak is, by far, the most pervasive problem.

LeucX3
10-05-2004, 05:14 PM
And there is a TSB for it, so if you ever have the problem just call up the dealer and they'll fix it. Though i'm sure by now, they probably did it already on cars in inventory.

Others are not really a big deal. Pretty good for a first year production car.

sfca-325i
10-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Others are not really a big deal. Pretty good for a first year production car.

I agree. So far, we've been very pleased with the X3.

I forgot to mention one other common problem ... rough ride complaints. I think the shorter wheelbase may contribute to a more pitchy ride on the freeway. I have read other posts that really went off about the rough ride. Kinda makes you wonder whether they performed an adequate test drive.

No doubt, the ride is stiff, but the benefits derived on the handling side are well worth the compromise IMO. Clearly, the X3 is not for everybody.

LeucX3
10-05-2004, 06:19 PM
I agree. So far, we've been very pleased with the X3.

I forgot to mention one other common problem ... rough ride complaints. I think the shorter wheelbase may contribute to a more pitchy ride on the freeway. I have read other posts that really went off about the rough ride. Kinda makes you wonder whether they performed an adequate test drive.

No doubt, the ride is stiff, but the benefits derived on the handling side are well worth the compromise IMO. Clearly, the X3 is not for everybody.
Perhaps the SUV for those looking for a soft ride is not a BMW. :D

Kewl X5
10-05-2004, 10:25 PM
My dad just loves the size and practicality of the car/SAV. He got the auto 3.0i with prem. package (no rough sport package for him), Xenon, cargo net, rear tint. Panoramic moonroof is awesome!! The active Bi-Xenons are really great (but as you know, you have to leave the headlight switch on "A"uto mode). Throttle and pick up is better on his X3 than the demo model I drove last year.

Thanks for the tips....we'll look out for it, but it appears fit as a fiddle for the time being! :thumbup:

ProcyonB
10-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Wind noise from windshield circa 80 mph (reported by European counterparts who can legally achieve these speeds).

We drive 80mph here every day, legally, (and I have driven my X3 at 120mph not so legally) and I did not notice a noise difference between 60mph and 80mph, and no difference even at 120mph.

newdad
10-07-2004, 07:10 AM
2005 BMW X3 3.0i SP (awaiting ED 10/21)

Just curious, ProcyonB, are you driving a 2004 X3 now and also doing a 2005 X3 ED???

gojira-san
10-07-2004, 08:36 AM
Buffeting / percussive sound when driving at high speeds with the moonroof open (common with SAV/SUV vehicle IMO).

You can get almost any car to do this too - usually cracking a side window stops that problem. Even opening 1 back window can cause the booming to occur.

That is an impressively short list of issues for a 1st year car and nothing major! :thumbup:

ProcyonB
10-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Just curious, ProcyonB, are you driving a 2004 X3 now and also doing a 2005 X3 ED???

Yes, my wife is taking the '04 once the '05 comes in.

harplayr
10-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Door seal creak (Carbaflo application solved this for me).
Yes, it is a warranty item, and seems to solve this problem.

Gurgling water from the moonroof drain tubes (so I've heard).
There is a warranty fix for this where they put in some valves

Inconsistent car/key programming options. Supposedly, visual arming sans alarm can be enabled. This has been a YMMV proposition.
I have heard that there is new software out to correct this. Mine works fine.

Rechargeable flashlight in the glove box (not included in earlier production)
They will install it under warranty

Wind noise from the moonroof (I haven't experienced this)
Crack a window open. This can happen on many cars.

Overall this has been the most trouble free car I have ever owned. :thumbup:

moonlite
10-19-2004, 08:57 PM
I am so glad I joined this forum. I didn't know the X3 came with a rechargable flashlight. I just looked into mine and there it was! So sweet! Thanks to all of you!

scottcan
10-25-2004, 09:30 PM
I've only had my X3 for a a cuiple of weeks but no flashlight--unless its missing. There is a smal hole in the glove box right in front of the fuse drop down panel anou 1/2" in diameter that could be a receptacle for a flashlight? Is that where it goes? How can I tell from the vin code when my X3 wa bulit?

Disappointed :cry:
X3, premium. sports package, 18" wheels, xenon.

opusone
10-26-2004, 10:28 AM
hi,

i just took delivery of an x3 a couple weeks ago and i don't have the flashlight either. can someone that's fortunate enough to have one installed post a picture of what it suppose to look like in the glove compartment? thanks.

sfca-325i
10-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Creaking

Supposedly, one of the two solutions is on national back order. They applied the one that they did have in stock. It's shown as PN 83-23-0-309-627, which should be the Carboflo. Workorder also shows "cleaned door jambs with silicon remover" so it appears that the scope of work called for under the bulletin was performed. The MOST important thing is that THE CREAKS ARE GONE.

Sunroof drain tubes

Installed one way vales per service measure B5420004 (PN 54-13-7-060-976).

Glove Box Flashlight

They installed the glovebox flashlight kit DC 9999010100 LO 6199000 1FRU.

The glove box flashlight is a courtesy item available upon request. The flashlight installs adjacent to the left side of the glove box.

and, from roadfly,

WHEN YOU VISIT YOUR BMW DEALER SERVICE DEPT.

ASK THEM TO LOOK UP TECHNICAL SERVICE ( SI B 63 01 04 ) RECHARGEABLE FLASHLIGHT JULY 2004