PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, trying to learn from the pros... Winter help

wheel-man
10-08-2004, 05:31 AM
ok, so i finally picked up my car yesterday... and all i have to say is she's beautiful. and now one of my new reason de existance is to keep her looking that way. :)

i've been combing through 'the detail department' posts and basically have come up with these conclusions:

1. body - wash with klasse aio and sd

2. wheels - spray with distilled, wipe with cotton towel once a week. weak cleaner if needs more elbow grease (looks like Klasse AIO).

3. microfiber waffle towel to dry.

4. wax - pinnacle souveran

5. interior - water, mf towel

i'm a little unsure about claying the car... but some great posts.

so, am i missing anything? any more experience i can learn from?

and, anyone surviving midwest winters and keeping their baby looking beautiful?

... and alex, barney looks great.

Artslinger
10-08-2004, 06:01 AM
The number one thing... if you will not be washing the car yourself be very careful about the car wash you visit. Most paint damage is done by dirty drying towels and or car wash brushes.

What do I do since I'm not crazy enough to wash my car by hand in freezing weather?

I take the car twice a winter to a full service car wash for a under chassis flush, and every two weeks have the car washed at a local hand wash shop that has detailed service and changes drying towels in-between every car. A touchless carwash place would work, but I have not found one in my area that will get the car clean enough.

TOGWT
10-08-2004, 07:43 AM
Quote: Newbie, trying to learn from the pros... Winter help

~One mans opinion / observations~

Wash a section at a time then towel or use a California Water Blade to squeegee dry. Protectalls Quick & Easy Wash(QEW) is non-abrasive; it safely loosens then its dirt-encapsulating ingredients will lift the dirt from the surface eliminating the need to use a water hose. Wash a section at a time then just chamois, towel or squeegee dry.

(QEW) Application Methodology:

a) Mix 2oz of QEW thoroughly in the wash bucket.
·After saturating mitt, wash one panel at a time, wiping in the one direction only, and no circular movements.
·Work from the top down (i.e. cleaner to dirtier surfaces)
·Use a Microfiber waffle weave towel, rinse in warm, clean water and wring out as much moisture as possible, fold the towel in half and then half again
·Dry panel with towel while allowing the first mitt to soak in wash solution and proceed to the next panel.
·Alternate mitts ensuring that they are rinsed toughly and wrung out before placing them in wash solution (this will avoid dilution of solution)
·Work your way around vehicle until all panels have been cleaned / dried
·Clean glass surfaces by using a damp Microfiber glass cloth on both inside and exterior surfaces.

b) If your car is very dirty use a higher concentrate of QEW solution (2.5-3.0oz)
·After soaking mitt in solution, put solution into a spray bottle, spray panel with QEW
·Let panels soak before using the method outlined above
·Change water as often as is necessary (dependant upon need/availability)

QEW dries clear but for a just detailed look, once washing / drying has been completed spray panel with a quick detailing spray with a clean damp towel and finally buff with a Microfiber buffing towel.

Also periodically take the car for an under chassis flush

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Artslinger
10-08-2004, 08:07 AM
Quote: Newbie, trying to learn from the pros... Winter help

~One mans opinion / observations~

Wash a section at a time then towel or use a California Water Blade to squeegee dry. Protectalls Quick & Easy Wash(QEW) is non-abrasive; it safely loosens then its dirt-encapsulating ingredients will lift the dirt from the surface eliminating the need to use a water hose. Wash a section at a time then just chamois, towel or squeegee dry.

(QEW) Application Methodology:

a) Mix 2oz of QEW thoroughly in the wash bucket.
·After saturating mitt, wash one panel at a time, wiping in the one direction only, and no circular movements.
·Work from the top down (i.e. cleaner to dirtier surfaces)
·Use a Microfiber waffle weave towel, rinse in warm, clean water and wring out as much moisture as possible, fold the towel in half and then half again
·Dry panel with towel while allowing the first mitt to soak in wash solution and proceed to the next panel.
·Alternate mitts ensuring that they are rinsed toughly and wrung out before placing them in wash solution (this will avoid dilution of solution)
·Work your way around vehicle until all panels have been cleaned / dried
·Clean glass surfaces by using a damp Microfiber glass cloth on both inside and exterior surfaces.

b) If your car is very dirty use a higher concentrate of QEW solution (2.5-3.0oz)
·After soaking mitt in solution, put solution into a spray bottle, spray panel with QEW
·Let panels soak before using the method outlined above
·Change water as often as is necessary (dependant upon need/availability)

QEW dries clear but for a just detailed look, once washing / drying has been completed spray panel with a quick detailing spray with a clean damp towel and finally buff with a Microfiber buffing towel.

Also periodically take the car for an under chassis flush

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

You live in Florida right? Where would do this when its below freezing for months at a time?

Artslinger
10-08-2004, 08:08 AM
Can you come up to Chicago and do all that to my car during the winter? :)