PDA

View Full Version : More help for the clueless...

wheel-man
10-10-2004, 05:36 PM
well, i've always been anal... but, now with my new baby i'm going full fledged ocd.

so, with that established... two questions for the detailing wise.

1. if you're waiting for the wax to cure, can you still drive the car? and if yes, do you do a quick detail wash before putting on another coat?

2. anyone recommend a good car cover? thinking of covering my baby... whenever she's not moving.

thanks again.

Alex Baumann
10-11-2004, 05:22 AM
I'd avoid driving the car, when there's wax on it. On the way, you may get dust or sand stuck on the car and it might scratch the paint (very badly) when you buff it off.

wheel-man
10-11-2004, 05:28 AM
wow, so if i want to put more than one coat of wax on, then the car is not to be used for an equivalent number of days?

Alex Baumann
10-11-2004, 06:11 AM
D'oh. I misunderstood it. Of course you can drive it when it cures.

Before applying the second coat, I'd wash the car again, to make sure that the paint is free from anything that might scratch.

wheel-man
10-11-2004, 11:07 AM
cool... i was worried i'd have to cycle to work whenever the car is being waxed :D

thanks for the info.

TOGWT
10-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Quote: anyone recommend a good car cover? thinking of covering my baby... whenever she's not moving.

~One mans opinion / observations~

1. Vehicle Storage

a) Indoor: Dustop TM- 4 layer cover with maximum dust protection, and its soft inner layer protects paint. Light and easy to handle, prevents dings, for inside protection from dust and dirt, ideal for indoor vehicle storage

b) Long Term Outdoor: WeathersheildTM HD- primarily for intense sun environments and long-term storage provides optimum protection from water, dust, tree sap, while providing long-term UVR protection and maximum weatherproof protection from a multi-layer breathable (heavyweight) fabric.

2. Outdoor Weather Protection

All Weather: WeathersheildTM - single layer construction, maximum weatherproof, superior dry time, breathable, scratch-less, durable, easy care, and packs small and light made from a durable breathable polymer fabric. Provides protection from UVR, acid rain, dust, dirt, intense sunlight and its storm proof (force 8 hurricane)

b) Severe Rain Storms: EvolutionTM (TechnalonTM)- a heavyweight, four-layer fabric ultrasonically bonded to provide more water resistance than most covers as well as UVR protection for extended outdoor use, but especially heavy rain protection. Places a soft, paint protecting finish against the vehicles surfaces, also provide impact protection from nicks, dings, dents and scratches.

c) Inclement Weather: NoahTM by Kimberly ClarkTM — one third less the material weight of the EvolutionTM cover, a three-layer fabric ultrasonically bonded to provide more water resistance than most covers as well as UVR protection for extended outdoor use, but especially heavy rain protection. Places a soft, paint protecting finish against the vehicles surfaces

d) Severe sun exposure: Sunbrella™ by Glen Raven Mills, Inc. In areas of high sun but little rain a Sunbrella™ cover provides the best UVR protection for prolonged sun exposure, a durable long-lasting fabric that protects interior and exterior finish, provides almost complete UV block, fade and water resistant. Because of it's unique construction process Sunbrella® provides protection, and years of service, in intense sun areas, like Arizona, Florida, and other areas of the sun-belt, where UV rays will rapidly degrade the paint and interior or your car, truck, SUV or van.

Some fabrics offer more heat insulation than others, simply because they are multi-layered and are more effective at keeping heat away from the vehicle surface, but any cover will help reduce the vehicle temperature on a hot day. They are manufactured to be water-resistant, available in various breathable fabric materials for protection against every type of climatic conditions, as well as both long-term indoor or outdoor vehicle storage

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon