PDA

View Full Version : Towing

Matt G
10-11-2004, 07:30 AM
i'm looking to get maybe a X3 and I tow a boat around 3000 lbs..i only tow the boat about 3 miles oneway couple of times a week and like twice a year on a 150mile one way time at highway speeds. I do like the size of a x5 but i'm not really looking to spend another 6k for it since this will probably be a 2 car for me in a year.... so as anyone towed anything with a x3 yet? if so how does it do? i'm looking at the 3.0....

ff
10-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Towing capacity on the X3 is 3500 pounds, with a max tongue weight of 350 pounds. Sounds like it will survive the ordeal, although the X3 wouldn't be my first choice to tow stuff. It's more of a last resort... it's not really designed to fulfill that role.

Maybe it can get the boat moving on level land, but how well is it going to pull that boat+trailer out of the water, up a steep, wet boat launch?

Have you looked at the new 4Runner? Waaaay more vehicle for the money, and it can do all the things that the X3 can only dream about, and for a lot less money.

Matt G
10-11-2004, 08:03 AM
yeah but doesn't the x3 3.0 as the same engine and drive train as the x5 because a buddy of mine as a x5 and it pull the boat out of the ramp just fine....

ff
10-11-2004, 08:10 AM
yeah but doesn't the x3 3.0 as the same engine and drive train as the x5 because a buddy of mine as a x5 and it pull the boat out of the ramp just fine....

Same engine. Not sure if it's the same transmission or rear end gearing.

I guess the point is, the X3 is not a tow vehicle. If you want a tow vehicle, there are plenty of better and safer choices out there.