PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Newbie: product application

craigt-from-atl
10-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Hey guys. Learned a bunch of stuff from this forum and have ordered a bunch of pinnacle stuff to get me started.

My question concerns the hand motions when cleaning/applying. When I wash the car, do I need to wash in a front-back of car motion? I'll be using a Chenille wash pad with the pinnacle soap/shampoo. When drying I should try to keep the front-back motions, right?

Also, when I apply polish and wax, what are the recommended motions. All I can think about is Karate Kid with the wax on/wax off deal, but isn't that what causes the swirl marks? The polish and wax will be applied using foam pads.

Before I found this site, my '97 GTI was getting really rough on the rear hatch. I've since found out from here that I need to clay it. Looking forward to getting stuff all smooth again. (Can also practice on it before getting to the E60)

Thanks.

Alex Baumann
10-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Pinnacle stuff is very good.

Yes, always use front-back motion when applying and buffing. On the doors and fenders, use up-down.

Also, when buffing Pinnacle, use more speed instead of applying pressure on the towel.

craigt-from-atl
10-11-2004, 03:13 PM
. . .Yes, always use front-back motion when applying and buffing. On the doors and fenders, use up-down.

Ok, thanks for the knowledge! Does this apply to washing and drying the car as well?

Alex Baumann
10-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Ok, thanks for the knowledge! Does this apply to washing and drying the car as well?

Nope, you don't need to follow a certain pattern when washing or drying. Make sure that the washing mitt and the drying towels are clean.

craigt-from-atl
10-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Thanks again! :thumbup: