PDA

View Full Version : DIY: V1 hardwire

zerofighter
10-11-2004, 07:10 PM
I have been looking for a hardwire DIY for the X3. Well, mainly which line to tap into. I have done it on my 540iT, and my previous 325ci. All of our families cars have hardwired V1s, except my parents X3. So since there was none out there, I decided to hardwire it anyway. After about 15 minutes of taping the wrong wires based on my previous cars, I finally got the right one.

What you need
-flathead screwdriver
-hardwire kit that came with the V1
-torx screwdriver (not sure on size)
-a few zip ties

Step 1
Use the flat head to pry off the 2 panels, the dome lights and the sunroof control panel
dome lights
http://www3.telus.net/ivs/X3%20hardwire/1.JPG
second panel
http://www3.telus.net/ivs/X3%20hardwire/2.JPG

Step 2
After you have both panels off, you can disconnect the wires that are connected to the first panel. The larger panel that has the sunroof controls, there was some wires that were tied together and was glued to it. Take the wiring harness connector (picture below).

https://store.valentine1.com/store/products/20310.gif
Close it on purple&blue wire.
http://www3.telus.net/ivs/X3%20hardwire/3.JPG
I found that this wire is a bit too skinny for the connector and it is very figded, it would turn off and on when I would move the wire. So I taped the connector to the wire that I taped in to so it would not move around. Here is a picture that will better explain.
http://www3.telus.net/ivs/X3%20hardwire/3.2.JPG

Step 3
Remember, there is a peice the seperates the 2 panels, make sure all the wire are above it, when connected to the ground and wire tap.
Connect the direct-wire power adaptor.
https://store.valentine1.com/store/products/20305.gif

It has 2 openings that look like phone jacks it has "Main unit" and "accesory" above the openings. There is a red wire connected to it, plug it into the wiring harness connector. Also there is a black wire that is connected to it, on the end, it has what looks like a little metal fork. Now plug power cord (looks like phone cord) into the adaptor. Take the torx screw driver and loosen this screw:
http://www3.telus.net/ivs/X3%20hardwire/4.JPG
Fit the fork under it, and fasten it back up. With the other end of the power cord, cram it up and over the liner that is located by the windsheild. Replace the large panel, and shove the adaptor in there with the excess power cord, you can zip tie the power cord together to make it less messy up there. Make sure there is enough slack on the power cord, as well as it has to clear where the dome lights are going to be. Replace the dome lights.

Step 4
Place the V1 near the roofliner, I chose to place it below the roofliner, and above the mirror.

Results
Car is not on.
http://www3.telus.net/ivs/X3%20hardwire/5.JPG

Car is on.
http://www3.telus.net/ivs/X3%20hardwire/6.JPG

The diy is basically the same as the one from bmw330ci.com
http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_V1.htm

jhwe46
10-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I already did the V-1 hardwaire on my E46 but I wasn't sure which wire to connect to in the E83.

!

flynhawaiian
11-09-2004, 04:03 PM
This wire is a problem when someone sits in the passenger side and the Passenger airbag light goes off...

:cry:

Thanks, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I already did the V-1 hardwaire on my E46 but I wasn't sure which wire to connect to in the E83.

!

zerofighter
11-09-2004, 10:28 PM
This wire is a problem when someone sits in the passenger side and the Passenger airbag light goes off...

:cry:

I just tried it with a passanger to confirm. I still works for me, as I have had it set like this for quite a while now. Maybe tap a different wire? :dunno:

flynhawaiian
11-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Does the passenger side airbag light go off when you sit in the seat?

I just tried it with a passanger to confirm. I still works for me, as I have had it set like this for quite a while now. Maybe tap a different wire? :dunno:

zerofighter
11-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Does the passenger side airbag light go off when you sit in the seat?

Yes, I will take a pic when they get it back from service. Damn door seal creak :rolleyes: .

flynhawaiian
11-11-2004, 06:33 AM
:(

Yes, I will take a pic when they get it back from service. Damn door seal creak :rolleyes: .

zerofighter
11-25-2004, 09:58 PM
:(

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this, but I asked them, and they said it works with a passanger in the seat. I will take a pic this weekend. :dunno:

flynhawaiian
11-26-2004, 08:55 AM
Yah, must have been a wierd thing when it didn't work for me. Works now. Really really wierd.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this, but I asked them, and they said it works with a passanger in the seat. I will take a pic this weekend. :dunno:

scottcan
11-29-2004, 04:17 PM
What in the heck are you guys talking about? What does this wiring mod do? Must be something good to go to all that work. Very interested.

scottcan

flynhawaiian
11-30-2004, 08:45 AM
Hard Wiring a Radar Detector

What in the heck are you guys talking about? What does this wiring mod do? Must be something good to go to all that work. Very interested.

scottcan

Cubi
06-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Zerofighter,

Thanks for the tip and picutures of how to do it. I will try it after the trip, I just got my Val1 today. I will use the lighter plug for the trip and when I get home I will try to figure out how to wire the remote. I think I will use the astray next to lighter plug to mount the remote display there. But now the challenge how are we going to run the wire from there to radar. If you have any idea please post it.

Thanks again.

Cubi

Timster
07-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Great job! Thanks!
Tim

AB
07-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Nice job. This should be made into a sticky for the X3 forum.

canadianbattery
07-20-2005, 01:27 AM
What is V1?

tnunnery
07-20-2005, 08:43 AM
http://www.valentine1.com/

adventurelarry
07-20-2005, 09:29 AM
I would like to also say that the Customer Service at Valentine1 is outstanding. I sent them the following:

I have finally hardwired my V1, and I seem to be having a problem. From the Direct-Wire Power Adapter (that came with the unit) to the V1 works, however from the Direct-Wire Power Adapter to the Concealed display does not seem to work. I have changed the cords, and I have even tried a friends concealed display, and it does not work. I have also tried the concealed display with the Lighter Adapter, and it works there. Is there anything I can do to fix the Accesory section of Direct-Wire Power Adapter? Thanks

They sent back, the next day:
I suggest checking the power cable that runs from the Direct-wire adapter to the V1. When operating the Concealed Display, both power cables (from V1 to direct-wire adapter, and Concealed Display to Direct-wire adapter) have to have four-conductors; the extra two conductors are used to send and receive data.

That fixed the problem, and the turnaround time was great!

--Larry

canadianbattery
07-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Is this V1 thing legal and safe to use? I am sorry for the dumb question but I know nothing about this. Any advise will be appreciated.

adventurelarry
07-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Is this V1 thing legal and safe to use? I am sorry for the dumb question but I know nothing about this. Any advise will be appreciated.

In the US the V1 is legal in every state except Virginia I believe. It is as safe as any other rader locater.

--Larry

jziran
10-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Anyone know where I can find the install pictures for this? All the links are dead :cry:

Thanks in advnace,

Justin

lilskel
10-07-2005, 09:03 PM
It's not very difficult, just read what it says and it will take you 5 minutes

x3man
10-08-2005, 02:53 PM
These V1 hardwire instructions work for a detector mounted under the rear view mirror. That's a location that I find very difficult to look at it. How can I mount it behind the navigation display (several inches above the dashboard)? I have a M3 where the installer ran the power cable under the center of the dash. This works great. I'd like to do the same in my X3.

How?

Cubi
10-08-2005, 09:51 PM
If you mount it too low its may block the rear sensor to detect signal from behind.
Few inches above the dash board may not clear the view because the back seats.

I have mine V1 mounted above the rear miror on the driver side.

Cubi

x3man
10-10-2005, 07:31 PM
If you mount it too low its may block the rear sensor to detect signal from behind.
Few inches above the dash board may not clear the view because the back seats.

I have mine V1 mounted above the rear miror on the driver side.

It's actually about an inch over the top of the navigation display. It detects rear view just fine and it gets tested every day. ;-)

So, is there a way to get power from the dash and have 4-6 inches of RJ45 sticking out to connect to the V1? I like to see the V1 all the time without having to strain my neck and take my eyes off the road. I'm a visual person. I don't just listen to it.

lilskel
10-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Stealth one..expensive but will be my only choice because I'm used to a concealed display but there is no place for one in the X3

tnunnery
10-11-2005, 10:16 AM
These V1 hardwire instructions work for a detector mounted under the rear view mirror. That's a location that I find very difficult to look at it. How can I mount it behind the navigation display (several inches above the dashboard)? I have a M3 where the installer ran the power cable under the center of the dash. This works great. I'd like to do the same in my X3.

How?
I have each of mine mounted above the rearview on the driver's side. The instructions above describe the same method I used. The cable comes out of the headliner right at the rearview and is a very short cable run.

There are many people who run the cable across the top of the windhshield and then down the a-pillar. Don't lots of cars have airbags in the a-pillar? This would be a really bad install idea for those. For a center of the windshield mounting as you describe, it seems like the only option is to run it along the bottom of the winshield and down under the dash. The cable would still be very visible from the bottom of the windshield to the V1.

Klamalama
05-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Many thanks Zerofighter. I followed your instructions and they worked perfectly.

My X3 is a recently purchased 2005 3.0 model. My upgraded V1 arrived at my door about 1 hr ago. I then printed out your instructions and went to work.

A couple of personal notes:

Yes, the wire is skinny but you can squeeze the prongs of the connector together with pliers, until the wire won't move. However, first I bared the copper (about 1/8") with my sharp Swiss. As with other installs, I found that baring the copper works well.

I mounted the unit on the windshield, just below the rearview mirror, to the left of the clown nose. This location permits the use of the sun visor. I used the coiled cord, pulling out just enough to reach the V1 without a lot of slack. The rest of it, along with all the other wiring, is stuffed into the ceiling. There's plenty of room there.

I had a hard time believing that the passenger air bag warning light wire would actually work when a passenger was seated. I tried it out and it all worked as advertised.

That's my first mod. Next I'm thinking about replacing the Business radio with a unit that has Bluetooth, and maybe Sirius. Kenwood has one that even has a red display (a must).

Now I have to fix (yet again) the red drum pad on my wife's Wii drum set.