PDA

View Full Version : I think my car is statically charged - a dust magnet

DotBalm
10-14-2004, 09:09 AM
My E60 is literallly a dust magnet. Thirty minutes after washing it, it was covered in dust, presumably from the Rumsey fire in N. California. So I rinsed and dried it, no fun task given our hard water.

I drove 5 miles and parked - covered in dust again. So I began to wonder if the car had an above normal static charge and if I could reduce or prevent this. My car has always been a dust magnet, the black color makes it show up, but close inspection of my 4Runner and Toyota pickup, including a psuedo white glove test show they are not even remotely as 'susceptible' as the E60.

Yesterday, 2 days after the double washing, I returned to the parking lot to see a chunk of styrofoam the size of a moth ( 1" x 1" x 1/2" ) sticking to the exterior side or the car behind the front wheel well. I thought it was a white glob like bubble gum.

I live in an area with dry air during the day and moist air at night, the car is garaged at night, but gets dusty in the garage.

Is it possible the microfiber towels are imparting a charge to the car? They seem to stick together, though this may be physical/mechanical (micro fiber structure) rather than electrical.

Any hope of preventing or reducing this? Thanks

captana
10-14-2004, 03:20 PM
I've heard from a friend that using Zaino's Z-6 does have a significant impact on this issue.
Zaino's web site claim's that the anti static formula in their product can reduce dust and dirt pickup by 60% ! although I've never tried it myself.

TOGWT
10-15-2004, 05:39 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

Try using Zanio Z6 as a quick detailer as suggested, using a 100% cotton micro fibre cloth (DF Towels) Micofiber made from nylon/nylon by-products are inherently static producing

Or try Wet And Slick Spray And Wipe from Finish Kare, they claim it has anti-static properties

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

guitarman
10-15-2004, 09:26 AM
I've heard from a friend that using Zaino's Z-6 does have a significant impact on this issue.
Zaino's web site claim's that the anti static formula in their product can reduce dust and dirt pickup by 60% ! although I've never tried it myself.

I've noticed the same thing with Klasse.

DotBalm
10-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Thank you all for giving me hope. I will add this to my regimen.

DotBalm
11-26-2004, 10:10 AM
Thank you all for giving me hope. I will add this to my regimen.

Quick follow-up to let anyone know the results:

Zaino Z6 works as advertised for reducing static dust build up! I'm a believer.

I used the synthetic MF towels I've used, so Z6 was the only change to my regimen. I did not apply to the doors and noticed a thread of synthetic material had "stuck" to the door, but the rest of the vehicle has stayed cleaner and relatively dust free longer than without Z6.

Next step is to try the DF terry concourse towels that were recommended.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Weaselboy
11-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Yep.... the Zaino Z-6 really helps with this. My Topaz Blue really was attracting dust and I notice a big difference with Z-6. Also gives you a really nice shine.