PDA

View Full Version : X3 Howling Noise at 80mph

nab777
10-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Is there a BMW fix for the howling noise on the X3 at 80mph?

TripleX5 ģ
10-15-2004, 06:24 PM

I was told this is normal given if the X has panoramic sunroof. :dunno:

BahnBaum
10-15-2004, 06:27 PM

Drive 90?

Alex

ProcyonB
10-15-2004, 10:35 PM

Crack a rear window and let physics do its work. :rolleyes:

LeucX3
10-18-2004, 09:52 AM
It's normal with any sunroof. Crack a window a bit. Also, don't have the roof open all the way. With it closed, just press the sunroof button once (not twice) to get it opened at the right position for high speed driving.

nab777
10-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Drive 90?

Alex
I like this answer the best, lol. Thanks.

BMWNA
11-10-2004, 06:55 AM

Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Iím sorry to read about this problem with your X3. If you want our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117, and mention Reference #200431500031 so that we can help you more efficiently.

Kaz
11-10-2004, 09:59 AM
I hate to beat on vatkens, but it's so easy to do. It responds to 2 threads about wind noises, but nothing about the recent threads about deplorable dealer service. Extinguishing the candle when the house is on fire, so to speak. :tsk:

sfca-325i
11-10-2004, 10:13 AM
I hate to beat on vatkens, but it's so easy to do. It responds to 2 threads about wind noises, but nothing about the recent threads about deplorable dealer service. Extinguishing the candle when the house is on fire, so to speak. :tsk:

IMHO, extend that to BMW NA, in general. Easy to get a conciliatory email out of them but they never step to the plate to take care of their customers.

BTW, read on another forum that the wind noise (with the moonroof closed) was attributable to a bad windshield seal.

nab777
11-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Lets see what happens, I have the X3 at South Motors BMW for the howling and a few other things, I will keep you posted...

MJM
11-11-2004, 06:04 PM
I have the same howling on my X3 at around 80MPH (with the sunroof closed). Please post the solution.

Thanks!!

nab777
11-15-2004, 10:38 AM
I picked up the x3 Friday thinking they would have addressed all my issues. The service manager told me that they did everything on my list except the howling issue. He said he was aware of the problem because it had been reported by other owners but that he had no solution. He told me that he had me down on a list of people to see the BMW rep when he or she comes in sometime in the next few days.

Yesterday I drove down to the keys which meant taking the Turnpike which also means I get some stretches where I can push speeds up to 100 mph and I did. The howling was incredible and yesterday was an education. The x3 does not just howl at 82mph as I thought but rather howls at any speed above 80 when accelerating. It howled at 90+ but only when accelerating to a higher speed. As soon as I was in decceleration from 100 to 80, the howling stops, and when I step on it again the howling starts. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this...

I will keep you posted...I am hoping to have the time to meet with the rep this week but am not certain as it is bound to be a pretty hectic week for me. if anyone does meet with the rep about the issue, I would appreciate some feedback as well.

jhwe46
11-22-2004, 04:00 PM
I picked up the x3 Friday thinking they would have addressed all my issues. The service manager told me that they did everything on my list except the howling issue. He said he was aware of the problem because it had been reported by other owners but that he had no solution. He told me that he had me down on a list of people to see the BMW rep when he or she comes in sometime in the next few days.

Yesterday I drove down to the keys which meant taking the Turnpike which also means I get some stretches where I can push speeds up to 100 mph and I did. The howling was incredible and yesterday was an education. The x3 does not just howl at 82mph as I thought but rather howls at any speed above 80 when accelerating. It howled at 90+ but only when accelerating to a higher speed. As soon as I was in decceleration from 100 to 80, the howling stops, and when I step on it again the howling starts. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this...

I will keep you posted...I am hoping to have the time to meet with the rep this week but am not certain as it is bound to be a pretty hectic week for me. if anyone does meet with the rep about the issue, I would appreciate some feedback as well.

I have an '04 3.0L and drove about 600 highway miles this weekend - average speed was over 75 and I often cruised between 80 and 90. There was no howling. Yes, there was wind noise from the outside mirrors, the luggage bars, and probably even the sunroof. But it was just that, wind noise. Not excessive in my mind. I have had Jeep Liberty, Trailblazer to compare to from the past (by memory) and the Blazer was much worse. I have an ML350 now and it is about the same. The X3 was louder with the interior part of the sunroof open. I didn't open the actual sunroof at 80 mph, though.

Patsx3
11-24-2004, 11:00 AM
undefinedIs there a BMW fix for the howling noise on the X3 at 80mph?
I had the same howling noise from my X3. I brought it to the dealer, but they informed me that they could not duplicate the problem. After the third visit to the dealer I was being looked at as a psycho. The fact is that the noise is not always present.
On the last visit I took the dealer in the car with me and was able to duplicate the noise at around 70 MPH. By 90 MPH the noise was so loud that we had difficulty speaking in the car.
As it turned out, while I drove the mechanic pressed against the middle top of the windshield and the noise went away. They resealed the windshield and I haven't had the noise since, at any speed.
My dealer is Prestige BMW in New Jersey. Have your dealer call my dealer for the fix.
Good Luck!

nab777
12-09-2004, 01:26 PM
What windshield? The back, front or do you mean the panoramic roof glass? Mine clearly comes from the top.

nab777
12-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I have an '04 3.0L and drove about 600 highway miles this weekend - average speed was over 75 and I often cruised between 80 and 90. There was no howling. Yes, there was wind noise from the outside mirrors, the luggage bars, and probably even the sunroof. But it was just that, wind noise. Not excessive in my mind. I have had Jeep Liberty, Trailblazer to compare to from the past (by memory) and the Blazer was much worse. I have an ML350 now and it is about the same. The X3 was louder with the interior part of the sunroof open. I didn't open the actual sunroof at 80 mph, though.

Sorry but this is no windnoise. This is like a wolf howling. Yes literally. You might be one of the lucky ones.

dherzfeld
12-09-2004, 07:35 PM
I had a similar howling noise on my 1985 Delta 88 Oldsmobile. There was a piece of windshield trim molding that became resonant at certain high speeds, especially heading into a stiff breeze. It wasn't anything obvious either. The dealer might just have to take the windshield out and re-install it. :( :eek: :thumbdwn:

Patsx3
12-17-2004, 10:44 PM
The howling noise in my X3 was comming from the top of the front windshield. The mechanic pushed against the windshield on either side next to the windshield wiper sensor and the noise stopped. The fix was to replace the molding along the outside top of the front windshield.
Hope this helps.

nab777
12-21-2004, 09:04 AM
The howling noise in my X3 was comming from the top of the front windshield. The mechanic pushed against the windshield on either side next to the windshield wiper sensor and the noise stopped. The fix was to replace the molding along the outside top of the front windshield.
Hope this helps.
Thanks. I will have the dealer check that

kneebiters
12-22-2004, 01:45 PM

Tell your wife to settle down and get used to your driving?