PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Cleaner Wax paste and/or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze

RSPDiver
10-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Okay, I throw myslef at the mercy of the OCD car cleaning nuts here. Firs off, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to products and the detailed steps you guys take in paint care. I do care a lot, though, and take pains to not cause damage when possible.

On to my questions. I stripped (with a strong Dawn solution) my wife's Roadster tonight. Then I applied Meguars Cleaner Wax paste, and removed it. The paint looks WAY better, and is much smoother and more glossy. Most of the (fairly bad) swirl marks are gone, and the rear window is actually much improved (I tested it on a small spot of the badly scratched window first). I'm impressed by the light polishing ability of this cleaner wax. IMHO, it lived up to the product description fairly well. Then I came on here and researched about some products. I saw mention of the 3M IHG I just happened to by a few weeks back. I'm thinking I should have used this first. Am I right? The paint has some etching from acid rain, which weren't really improved by the Meguiars, but I get the feeling I would have to strip that off now to use the IHG on those spots.

I plan to use the IHG on my (almost still) new 330i, and remove some of the dealer swirls, and then toss a bunch of wax on her. But, I would really like to get the Roadster looking good, too. Does the IHG even have enough oomph to improve acid rain etching? Or am I better off just doing a big cut and buff job later?

Thanks for the help and opinions (and snide remarks) from all of you experts!

Desertnate
10-15-2004, 09:21 PM
From my experience, the IHG won't really touch your swirl marks. It will shine things up really good and add depth.

I have some swirls on both of my cars and IHG didn't do much. :( Thank goodness for light colors. :D :eeps:

TOGWT
10-18-2004, 07:59 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

A cleaner wax will do just that, on light (very minor0 surface scratches and will of course clean the surface.
A glaze contains oils and fillers, the first (oils) is to provide the surface with a deep gloss, the second is to ‘fill’ any minor scratches, but however one or two washes will remove these fillers.

To use these products, first the cleaner wax and then the glaze (otherwise the 'cleaner' will remove the glaze.

To remove scratches (as opposed to covering them up) requires an abrasive polish

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

RSPDiver
10-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Perfect, thanks! I'll put some IHG on there and then seal it with a healthy coat of wax. Yay!

Desertnate
10-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Perfect, thanks! I'll put some IHG on there and then seal it with a healthy coat of wax. Yay!

It will look really good, but won't get rid of your swirl marks. That will take something like 3M Swirl Mark Remover, or some of the polishes from Meguires or Griots.

RSPDiver
10-18-2004, 11:13 AM
It will look really good, but won't get rid of your swirl marks. That will take something like 3M Swirl Mark Remover, or some of the polishes from Meguires or Griots.
Yeah, I think next spring I may do a full up polish, with repair of the acid rain spots and all the dings, etc. We'll see how long this finish lasts, for now. Sounds like 3M makes some good stuff. Thanks for the recommendation!