PDA

View Full Version : Engine Sound on X3

nab777
10-18-2004, 10:15 AM
I had a 93 325i which I replaced with a 04 325i recently. I also got an 04 X3 2.5 and I have noticed that the engine sound while driving is very different between the two vehicles. The sound from the 325i is very solid while the X3 seems to have some wind noise from the right side of the engine compartment. Nothing wrong with Honda but the X3 is sounding like a Honda and I really like the BMW sound and do not want the Honda sound.
I experience this most in high rpms where the sound is louder on the X3 as compared with the 325i and solid sound is missing in X3.

Is this something anyone else has experienced, or is this something to do with my unit? Any ideas appreciated.

LeucX3
10-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Is this something anyone else has experienced, or is this something to do with my unit? Any ideas appreciated.
Turn radio on louder. :D

But seriously, i've had a 325i, 330Ci, and now an X3 3.0. Never had any problems with engine sound. I dont know what to tell ya.

hmr
10-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Do the cars have different transmissions? My 5-speed sounds different from steptronic models I've had a chance to drive (as loaners). They're both good, but I speculate that the mechanical (viscous?) engine fan that comes with steptronic models may have something to do with the difference.

nab777
10-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Both the 325i and X3 have the Steptronic. I agree it could be the fan but I still don't like the inconsistency. If it were the fan, is there something I can do?

I can't forget how solid the 93 325i sounded, it keeps playing in my head...

hmr
10-18-2004, 11:29 AM
...If it were the fan, is there something I can do?...

Don't know.

Keep in mind that the X3 has different overall gearing than the 325i (IIRC), which means that the X3 is running higher RPM's vs the 325 at similar speeds. Could that explain it?

nab777
10-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Yes and no. That would explain the louder engine sound out the X3 but the distinctly different sound no. The higher pitched sound from higher rpms is fine but the quality of the sound is where I am having a problem. I intend on test driving another X3 when my dealer gets some in stock but meanwhile wanted to post the question here.

Sonoman707
10-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Yes and no. That would explain the louder engine sound out the X3 but the distinctly different sound no. The higher pitched sound from higher rpms is fine but the quality of the sound is where I am having a problem. I intend on test driving another X3 when my dealer gets some in stock but meanwhile wanted to post the question here.

The X3 is a SAV... not intended to reproduce the sedan/coupe experience.

It just isn't the same... accept it and enjoy it. :)

nab777
10-21-2004, 10:24 AM
The X3 is a SAV... not intended to reproduce the sedan/coupe experience.

It just isn't the same... accept it and enjoy it. :)

Agreed. However, it just sounds like some pulley is loose somewhere and/or there is some wind noise that I can hear. I have setup an appointment and we'll see...

xspeedy
10-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Drive a new version of your vehicle at a dealer and see if it makes a similar noise. If it does, I think you are alright. If not, it isn't normal and should get checked out.

nab777
10-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Drive a new version of your vehicle at a dealer and see if it makes a similar noise. If it does, I think you are alright. If not, it isn't normal and should get checked out.
will do...thanks!

I gotta say though I am loving this thing more and more everyday. The feel and handling is just incredible. I am not lacking any power from the 2.5 engine...maybe 0-30 but thereafter it is excellent. Is the computer system one that learns the drivers habits? Is it supposed to adjust over time or...?

The sound I have been speaking of seems to be drowning out slowly. It now has 300 miles on it. I do have the appointment for next week to get the SIB work done and will have them check out the motor sound at the same time.

Thanks for all the responses.