PDA

View Full Version : Leather Dye problem

weoilmen
10-23-2004, 03:53 AM
Hi All
I have a Leather Dye problem I have a 98 M Roadster Estoril Blue that I just bought,
The Leather has begun to ware and the Dye is starting to disappear on the side of the Lower seat. Can anyone recommend a place that can restore Leather, I have Read some Posts where folks have had repairs done at Fix-it Days is there any coming up in the Bay Area.

I live in Vacaville Ca I want to try to solve this problem :dunno:
Thanks
Mike Threadgill

TOGWT
10-25-2004, 08:16 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations~

Its a not too difficult DIY project, if you want to try it-

Upholstery Leather Restoration:

a) Surface Preparation:
Leatherique Prepping Agent will remove silicone, wax, dirt, oil, mould, toxins, perspiration and residue from the surfaces to enable proper adherence of the applied product (repairing cuts, cracks or leather surface restoration dye) non-toxic, non-flammable and biodegradable, the formulation safely cleans and prepares all leather surfaces.

Ensure a dirt and dust free environment, with adequate ventilation, preferably indoors.
·Clean leather surfaces with a 6:1 solution of Water / Woolite®
·Stubborn stains- dependent upon the leathers condition or how dirty it is consider using a leather-cleaning product. (Leatherique's Prestine Clean, Groit's Leather Cleaner or Autoglym Leather Cleaner)
·Scrub surface with synthetic steel wool #0 and a medium drying lacquer thinner (Recochem's Lacquer Thinner (Recochem Inc) this is a flammable product but with an active ingredient of toluene which is slightly less flammable then other lacquer thinners, ensure the use of adequate ventilation
·Wet-sand surfaces with 240 and 400-grit abrasive papers and a 5:1 lubricant solution (distilled water/Woolite®) to remove existing dye.
·Use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any abrasive dust
·Wipe all surfaces with a clean, damp100% cotton Microfiber towel
·Put prepping agent into a fine-mist spray bottle or flask
·Liberally spray a 100% cotton terry towel
·Apply to surfaces with a gentle scrubbing motion to remove any silicone, oils or other contaminants
·Rinse the towel frequently with clean warm water
·When complete wipe all surfaces with a clean, dry 100% cotton Microfiber towel

Surfaces are now ready for leather restoration repairs or the application of a leather dye or a protective glaze)

b) Leather Surface Restoration Dye:
Clean and prepare the leather surfaces as in 8a above prior to the application of a leather dye. Test in an inconspicuous area to ensure that the colour is suitable.
·Using a quality synthetic, acrylic type brushes, very small for cracks and piping and wider for larger areas, to apply the leather dye.
·You will need dye, top quality, synthetic acrylic type brushes, small for cracks and piping and wider for larger areas. Best done in dirt / dust free environment, preferably indoors.

Leatherique requires that you send a 1”x1” swatch of leather, fabric, paint chip or other material of your choice to colour match the dye. Their toll free number 1 877 395-3366, and website www.leatherique.com

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

ganesht
04-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Have anyone who has re dyed their seats with Leatherique noticed a problem of the leather squeaking when you change the seat position? for example i hear sounds when i adjust the seat back, which were not there before i dyed my seats. Also its been 2 months since ive redyed my seats, is there anything special you have to do to clean/protect redyed seats to insure you don't remove any dye?