PDA

View Full Version : 2001 BMW 540i Sport Private Sale Delema

chicago-cubes
10-23-2004, 09:07 PM
I have been looking at buying a 740IL and seen a few at my local Beemer dealer with relative low miles for an 2001. Then I came across a 2001 BMW 540i Sport: Cosmos Black/Black, 6 speed manual w/ OD, and Dinan Upgrades ( performance software chip set & Dinan cold air intake). It has 24k miles; less than the 7's I've looked into but no Navigation system or heated seats. Otherwise it has most of the goodies and lots more testosterone. The guy is exceptionally anal and asking top buck 37,5k.

I think the price is a bit high and am concerned about not having the dealer certification and extended warranty...frankly, have never bought from a private party and bit hesitant about pulling the trigger.

I would appreciate any feedback on the car and the transaction. :dunno:

PropellerHead
10-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Then I came across a 2001 BMW 540i Sport: Cosmos Black/Black, 6 speed manual w/ OD, and Dinan Upgrades ( performance software chip set & Dinan cold air intake). It has 24k miles; less than the 7's I've looked into but no Navigation system or heated seats. Otherwise it has most of the goodies and lots more testosterone. The guy is exceptionally anal and asking top buck 37,5k.
Great car. Guy wants too much money for it. You could find a car for thousands less, add the Dinan stuff on your own and still be ahead of the game.

chicago-cubes
10-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Great car. Guy wants too much money for it. You could find a car for thousands less, add the Dinan stuff on your own and still be ahead of the game.

...thats what my gut tells me. Its very clean but still allot of jack for an '01. I appreciate the feedback propellerHead and look forward to others opinions.

Great smile on the kid! Thanks for sharing and God Bless!

markseven
10-24-2004, 07:25 AM
...thats what my gut tells me. Its very clean but still allot of jack for an '01. I appreciate the feedback propellerHead and look forward to others opinions.

Great smile on the kid! Thanks for sharing and God Bless!chicago-cubes,

If the car had Dinan suspension upgrades, it would be a little more desirable and maybe worth a little more than other low mileage 540's. But a CAI and chip :dunno:

-Mark

tpetty
10-24-2004, 09:47 AM
It doesn't have any Dinan mods, but I'm selling my '02 with 13,000 miles for about this same price - there is an ad in the classifieds forum.

540 M-Sport
10-24-2004, 11:56 AM
I have been looking at buying a 740IL and seen a few at my local Beemer dealer with relative low miles for an 2001. Then I came across a 2001 BMW 540i Sport: Cosmos Black/Black, 6 speed manual w/ OD, and Dinan Upgrades ( performance software chip set & Dinan cold air intake). It has 24k miles; less than the 7's I've looked into but no Navigation system or heated seats. Otherwise it has most of the goodies and lots more testosterone. The guy is exceptionally anal and asking top buck 37,5k.

I think the price is a bit high and am concerned about not having the dealer certification and extended warranty...frankly, have never bought from a private party and bit hesitant about pulling the trigger.

I would appreciate any feedback on the car and the transaction. :dunno:

Make him an offer and wait him out....

chicago-cubes
10-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Make him an offer and wait him out....

Thanks to all for the feedback!

I think I will do just that....while cointiunuing to look for that right beemer for me. I have really fallen for the 540 sporet package though and just need to find one that is closer to 30 than 40....I know shes out there. Something tells me it will be a private sale.

Can anyone give me a lead on securing a BMW extended warrenty? I'd feel more secure jumping into bed with a '01 if she came with more than a six monthes warrenty...

chicago-cubes
10-24-2004, 08:32 PM
It doesn't have any Dinan mods, but I'm selling my '02 with 13,000 miles for about this same price - there is an ad in the classifieds forum.

tpetty: Certainly a beautimous car! I appreciate your offer but your a good road trip away and financially I'd be going in the wrong direction.

Good luck!

gr8330
10-25-2004, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=
Can anyone give me a lead on securing a BMW extended warrenty? I'd feel more secure jumping into bed with a '01 if she came with more than a six monthes warrenty...[/QUOTE]

Heritage...the dealers I've talked to said one of the best. I havenít used it yet so just going on what the dealers tell me. 800.753.5236 no affiliation

Big Top Gt
10-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Try www.carfax.com and use the "find a car" feature. It lets you search by model. Probably not a bunch of prices but it'll point you in the right direction.

:)

Alan

chicago-cubes
10-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Try www.carfax.com and use the "find a car" feature. It lets you search by model. Probably not a bunch of prices but it'll point you in the right direction.

:)

Alan
I checked out the offerings....

My question is..."is it worth it"? from what I can see they are asking some serious bucks for a warrenty. I just drive a great 530i Sport with all the premium whistles (minus Nav). Kicker is that the warrenty expires in 2-3 mos. He's asking 26,900 while the same car at the dealer will cost 30-31 certified (50k/100m).

Am I being overly paranoid here??