PDA

View Full Version : Race a 540I?

batastj
10-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Hello

I have the chance to race - well not really - rather drive on a road race course in WV. Summit Park - Has nayonbe ever taken a stock 540I and let it rip around the course...next question would you?

liuk3
10-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Hello

I have the chance to race - well not really - rather drive on a road race course in WV. Summit Park - Has nayonbe ever taken a stock 540I and let it rip around the course...next question would you?

Dude, you can take a dodge neon on the race track. Lots of people with way less power than you on the tracks.

SRFast
10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Hello

There is no harm in doing an occasional track day as long as you remember two things: You are driving a STREET car and knowing your limits as a driver. Having the chance to drive your car on a closed circut without the threat of get a ticket is very attractive, but you need to exercise common sense and good judgment. I've driven hundreds of laps at Summit Point in a race car and it is a fun track. Have fun.

Hope this helps....JL

BTW: You can't win a track day or driver school, so don't try.

Lscman
10-29-2004, 03:50 AM
Hello

I run my stock 540i on road tracks all the time. Aside from braking, it's an equal to an E36 M3.

If you decide to go, make sure you bleed the brakes first with fresh DOT4. The brake pads need to be 50% thickness or they may wear out and shorten your day.

A newbie does not need or want high performance parts on his car for the first couple events. A car tolerates brake farts better in stock form. Take it easy....guys in stock Neons with years of track experience will be passing you all day. Let them, so you don't hurt yourself or stuff your car in the tiewall. After another couple events, you'll be a much better driver. I've been to well over 100 events and never scratched my car.

A set of HT10 Hawk pads will address braking weaknesses and they last about 10x longer on-track. Save this opgrade for your 5th visit to the track...or so. Braking later, harder and deeper like the experienced M3 drivers requires much more experience, skill, prep and tuning. Your car may have marginal brake hoses or fluid or something & race pads would be dangerous. Again, do NOT try to tear up the track on day one. This is how folks wreck nice cars. Hopefully you are mature and can control your ego & exercise restraint. That's the key.

flattothefloor
10-31-2004, 06:18 PM
listen to all you racers eh
I love the chance to drive my early 98 stock 540i with any stock m3 you got.
see ya in my back mirror. I love racing! my first car was a 70 442 with a worked 455.
I believe the 540i is balanced better for racing.
Did you know all early 540i can not get these Danin upgrades?
1. high flow intake manifold-- hp gian 9bhp
2. high flow throttle body-- hp gain 8 bhp
because the early cars already have it, so just add 17 bhp to the stock numbers
race ya anytime.

Jim in Oregon
10-31-2004, 07:38 PM
listen to all you racers eh
I love the chance to drive my early 98 stock 540i with any stock m3 you got.
see ya in my back mirror. I love racing! my first car was a 70 442 with a worked 455.
I believe the 540i is balanced better for racing.
race ya anytime.

Gee I have a 2003 M5 that would love to meet you at a track.....290 hp or so? I've got you by 100 hp. So if you want to brag, just remember....there will always be a better driver and a faster car than you.

Let's see, the 1970 442 was good for for about 14 seconds at 100 mph in the quearter mile. I've done 12.56 @ 112 totally stock.

See, I can say the same thing....see you in my rear mirror....no, no, wait....I can't see you; you're too far back.....he he.

PropellerHead
10-31-2004, 08:54 PM
race ya anytime.Wrong. :rolleyes:

I mean right that the early cars use the same intake and throttle bodies as were used on the 91-98 V8's, which is what Dinan is selling. But you can't just 'add the 17bhp to stock numbers.' The only recorded hp jump was for the final year of the E39 (was it in '02 as well?) in the 540. Up to 290.

BMW narrowed the intake manifold runners and TB to improve low end tq in the single vanos cars produced for MY 1999. They did the same for dual Vanos in '00 and up. If you have one of these (as I do) all you have to do is find an intake manifold from any 740 or 540 V8 produced from '92 to 09/98 (as I did). Bolts right up and will cost you ab $100-150. (mine was free :angel: )

Some people believe that the earlier cars are faster than the newer ones. They could be. I've been in some pretty fast early production 97's. Think yours is faster or has more? Good. Dyno it and post the sheet. A ~7% jump over stock numbers due to stock parts is unlikely.

flattothefloor
11-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Drive better than me eh i dont think so Ill make any stunt driver, and most of those so called nascar racers look like a joke.
only one driver can drive better --the late Dale Earnhardt!
I bet you dont even know what ur M5 is capable off. Yes I can brag..
:thumbup:

PropellerHead
11-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Allrighty boys, I think we know what we have here. Don't feed it and it will die. This thread is locked.