PDA

View Full Version : Pics from SD BMWCCA Qualcomm autocross

MMMM_ERT
10-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Had an absolute blast! First time I've done an Autocross...the 540 has amazed me yet again with its capabilities... :thumbup:

http://www.fbodyaddict.com/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=2957
http://www.fbodyaddict.com/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=2958
http://www.fbodyaddict.com/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=2959

Check out this site, you can snoop around and find more pics of other cars on that site...
http://www.shinobibmw.com/Autocross/2004/10-23_BMWCCA/

mach330
10-25-2004, 12:52 PM
i was there as well...i did a lot better this second time around. i could've done better if i didn't dnf on my last run (which I knew i ran fast). my goal is just to improve. :thumbup:

PhilK
10-25-2004, 09:18 PM
looks like a lot of fun :thumbup: I'm hoping to goto a driving school or something similar for my 18th birthday I can't wait!

shabbaman
10-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Great job...looks like you had a blast. A little too much speed entering into the corners, though :tsk:

Great photography. Whoever was taking the pictures did a great job. You can learn a ton just from looking at the photos.

MMMM_ERT
10-25-2004, 10:01 PM
I see a cone worker jogging there after you passed... :eeps:

Yeah....I noticed that too. :rofl: Luckily it was a practice run. :thumbup: No cones were harmed in the timed runs. :D

Great job...looks like you had a blast. A little too much speed entering into the corners, though :tsk:

Wow..I thought I was slow being that it was my first time. How can you tell from
the pictures?

shabbaman
10-26-2004, 07:09 AM
Wow..I thought I was slow being that it was my first time. How can you tell from
the pictures?

OK...Look at pictures 4 - 7 on page 2. Notice how close the front of the car is to the ground and how far the back of the car is away from the ground? That's due to heavy braking. Next, in the front, notice how much more load there is on the right side of the car there is than on the left? You were hard on the brakes and you were trying to turn left. What the picture tells me is that the car wanted to go straight...badly. That's called understeer.
E39's are engineered for understeer, and none moreso than the 540i. That's why it's got a staggered wheel setup, that's why guys (and gals :) ) on this board buy the Dinan goodies to keep that a$$ planted to the ground when you do this kind of stuff.
If you shaved a little more speed before the entering the turn, the car would be more compliant going through the turn.

Listen, none of that stuff matters as long as you had a great time and enjoyed yourself. You'll get better the more you do these events.

P.S. The cheapest way to reduce understeer is to change to an M5 rear sway bar. It's about $110 and it'll flatten out pictures 4-7 just a little bitt :D

MMMM_ERT
10-26-2004, 10:44 AM
OK...Look at pictures 4 - 7 on page 2. Notice how close the front of the car is to the ground and how far the back of the car is away from the ground? That's due to heavy braking. Next, in the front, notice how much more load there is on the right side of the car there is than on the left? You were hard on the brakes and you were trying to turn left. What the picture tells me is that the car wanted to go straight...badly. That's called understeer.
E39's are engineered for understeer, and none moreso than the 540i. That's why it's got a staggered wheel setup, that's why guys (and gals :) ) on this board buy the Dinan goodies to keep that a$$ planted to the ground when you do this kind of stuff.
If you shaved a little more speed before the entering the turn, the car would be more compliant going through the turn.

Listen, none of that stuff matters as long as you had a great time and enjoyed yourself. You'll get better the more you do these events.

P.S. The cheapest way to reduce understeer is to change to an M5 rear sway bar. It's about $110 and it'll flatten out pictures 4-7 just a little bitt :D

Hmmm...pics 4-7 on page 2 were taken at the loop...at that point I was off the brakes and accelerating through the loop...I didn't notice understeer on that part of the track. Thats not to say I didn't encounter understeer on some of the other parts of the track...I definetely pushed the front end a few times. :eeps:

...and yes, the M5 sway bar is already on my shopping list. :D :thumbup:

jensenh
10-26-2004, 05:46 PM

care to critique my autocross pics?

album:http://68.6.62.91:81/~photos/album189

thats me in the E39 and my mom in the volvo wagon. don't worry i beat her :)

http://68.6.62.91:81/~photos/albums/album189/DSC04661.sized.jpg

shabbaman
10-27-2004, 09:26 AM
care to critique my autocross pics?

album:http://68.6.62.91:81/~photos/album189

thats me in the E39 and my mom in the volvo wagon. don't worry i beat her :)

http://68.6.62.91:81/~photos/albums/album189/DSC04661.sized.jpg

I couldn't see your album but I could only imagine what's there in store for me :rolleyes:

edit: OK. Nice pictures. I guess I couldn't open up your album from work :dunno:

My critque: Your mom's pretty hot :thumbup: and looks like she's done this a few times.

What's up with the cameras? Do you have any clips available for us?

jensenh
10-27-2004, 06:10 PM
^^^
excuse me, what is that supposed to mean? i find your "rolling eye" comment offensive. i really was wanting to get a constructive critique from you after reading your last response. oh well.

why the comment?

p.s. the album link works fine.

MMMM_ERT
10-27-2004, 07:28 PM
^^^
excuse me, what is that supposed to mean? i find your "rolling eye" comment offensive. i really was wanting to get a constructive critique from you after reading your last response. oh well.

why the comment?

p.s. the album link works fine.

Actually...I can't view the album either. :dunno:

jensenh
10-27-2004, 08:59 PM
I couldn't see your album but I could only imagine what's there in store for me :rolleyes:

edit: OK. Nice pictures. I guess I couldn't open up your album from work :dunno:

My critque: Your mom's pretty hot :thumbup: and looks like she's done this a few times.

What's up with the cameras? Do you have any clips available for us?

the cameras were my friends. he didn't end up using my footage for anything but made a compilation of the E30 M3s fast lap. it was for fun and that was my first event. and yes, my mom has been an enthusiasts since she her college days.

i didn't mean to jump on you or anything but i felt you thought i was just some kid with a camera on his car thinking he was hot sh*t. yes, i'm young (21) but do understand some things about driving. i just want to learn more. :)

shabbaman
10-27-2004, 09:57 PM
the cameras were my friends. he didn't end up using my footage for anything but made a compilation of the E30 M3s fast lap. it was for fun and that was my first event. and yes, my mom has been an enthusiasts since she her college days.

i didn't mean to jump on you or anything but i felt you thought i was just some kid with a camera on his car thinking he was hot sh*t. yes, i'm young (21) but do understand some things about driving. i just want to learn more. :)

Let me unconfuse this a little bit. At work I can't get into bimmerfest.COM because it's considered a forum and is filtered out by software but bimmerfest.ORG slips by somehow. Unfortunately, bimmerfest.org sucks when it comes to images and most images appear as X's so I wasn't able to see ANY of your pictures this morning. So, from my perspective I was blind but going by how some of the forum members around here are I figured that you put up some funny picture of you driving past your mom in her 1991 Volvo 240DL wagon so that's why I said that I could only imagine what the album looks like. No harm no foul.

For the record I'm 31 but I drive like I'm 21 :D

As far as the critique goes, it's a little hard to tell without seeing the course MMMM_ERT had me fooled a little. He says that he was going accelerating through the sweeper but I still think that his approach was way too fast - Sorry MMMM_ERT :dunno: - and that's why his car was off balanced like that.

Now if you post your video... :D

jensenh
10-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Let me unconfuse this a little bit. At work I can't get into bimmerfest.COM because it's considered a forum and is filtered out by software but bimmerfest.ORG slips by somehow. Unfortunately, bimmerfest.org sucks when it comes to images and most images appear as X's so I wasn't able to see ANY of your pictures this morning. So, from my perspective I was blind but going by how some of the forum members around here are I figured that you put up some funny picture of you driving past your mom in her 1991 Volvo 240DL wagon so that's why I said that I could only imagine what the album looks like. No harm no foul.

For the record I'm 31 but I drive like I'm 21 :D

haha, now i understand everything. yeah, the volvo is a turbo with sway bars, exhaust, and brakes. mom has a lead foot and drives like a 21 year old too (sometimes). and i guess i drive like a 21 year old as well (sometimes...mostly). i'll see if i can get the video for you guys.

also, i'm the president of the newly chartered cal poly sports car club and am currently working on holding our first autocross sometime in january. until then the club is looking for events to attend. if you know any we'd love to bring some cars out for some real critique. :thumbup: