PDA

View Full Version : The inner wheel (double spoke M)

Prov431
10-26-2004, 03:26 PM
I decided that I needed to clean my wheels, especially the back (inside) portion of the wheel. (the inner wheels were black with brake goo) I tried some 'brake dust remover'...what a waste of time that was. I ended up getting so frustrated with that product that I took each wheel off one at a time and thoroughly cleaned each inner wheel.
I can tell you, it sucked. It took almost 3 hours of work. I had to wet sand most of the stains off as they wouldn't budge with any cleaners I had. I also sanded the inner metal hub, and the brake caliper outter parts, also including the center wheel mounting hub.
It's an absolute night and day difference in appearance, but I seriously doubt I will ever do it again!!!!

BahnBaum
10-26-2004, 06:34 PM
I decided that I needed to clean my wheels, especially the back (inside) portion of the wheel. (the inner wheels were black with brake goo) I tried some 'brake dust remover'...what a waste of time that was. I ended up getting so frustrated with that product that I took each wheel off one at a time and thoroughly cleaned each inner wheel.
I can tell you, it sucked. It took almost 3 hours of work. I had to wet sand most of the stains off as they wouldn't budge with any cleaners I had. I also sanded the inner metal hub, and the brake caliper outter parts, also including the center wheel mounting hub.
It's an absolute night and day difference in appearance, but I seriously doubt I will ever do it again!!!!

While you had them off, you should have put a coat of Klasse SG or some other synthetic finish on the back sides. It'll make them much easier to clean the next time you ahve to do it.

Alex

Spectre
10-26-2004, 10:11 PM
Care to mention which products did not work well for you? It would help to know what not to buy for similar situations.

I agree that it gets ugly in the back of the wheel. And it's a pain in the neck trying to get cleaning implements in there that do anything. :tsk:

TOGWT
10-27-2004, 05:59 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations~

I would agree that cleaning the ‘back’ of the wheels is a gruesome job even when done on a regular basis (which is the only way to ‘keep-up with them)

Cleaning Wheels and Tyres:
·Remove wheels and hose off as much initial grime as you can.
·Use a solvent based cleaner to remove any road tar
·Apply a solution of P21S Total Auto Wash to wheel-wells and tyres, and let soak in, agitate with a long-handled boars haired brush before rinsing
·Use detailing clay to remove any imbedded contaminants
·Spray P21S Wheel Cleaner, this cleaner is 100% acid-free and will not damage any type of wheel finish. (Gel for badly soiled and regular for normal soil) onto wheel rims and lat soak in.
·Before finally removing cleaner, agitate with a soft brush and then rinse off
·Rinse wheel surface thoroughly with clean water
·Dry wheels with a towel, apply a sealant to the surface of the wheels themselves will protect the finish from brake dust and the elements and also making them easier to keep clean.

Maintenance- apply a sealant after cleaning to make maintenance easier, use a synthetic polymer sealant to protect wheel surfaces as it has a high melting point (350 oF +) The melting point of wax (180oF+) is too low for the normal temperatures encountered by vehicle wheel surfaces (194oF+)

Also using a polymer sealant enables the wheel surface to resist the adhesion of brake dust, dust and dirt, and road grime and it makes surface cleaning much easier using only a car wash concentrate and water solution.

Dosing your wheels before using a wheel cleaner will allow cleaning agents to be carried to remote areas that might not be reached by spraying the cleaner on a dry wheel surface. This also allows it to penetrate brake dust and road grime easier.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Prov431
10-27-2004, 07:18 AM
I just used some Turtle Wax wheel cleaner / brake dust remover. Of course the bottle said spray on and remove with a high pressure water spray, but that didn't have any effect whatsoever....not even on the 'clean' side of the wheel. It did however work well when I actually put a sponge to it (one of those 'bug remover' type sponges)...but on the back of the wheel I had to wet sand the grime off...the cleaner only removed the easy stuff while being scrubbed.
If I had known I would have definitely put some protectant on there...a little late now though!

Spectre
10-27-2004, 02:25 PM
You might try the P21S gel that was recommended in TOGWT's post. I've had reasonable luck with that, although it left white patches on the concrete that still haven't disappeared. I normally use Griot's wheel cleaner for places I can reach, but you do have to scrub that stuff to get the grime off which is why it's not nearly as useful at the back of the wheel.